Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

We have three right now. Four if you count Chloe, but she lives with my mom, so...three. I'm planning on getting a pup at some point before the end of next year (it WILL happen), so that will make it four, kind of five. Doesn't bother me at all. It helps that they're all low key dogs and that they're all under 45 pounds. I've had cats bigger than the two little ones, and that is kind of how I view then, honestly.

So, I'm okay with potential 4-5 dogs...WITH no other animals. No cats, no ferrets, no pocket pets. If other pets are in the equation, I would only want three dogs, tops.

By I grew up with three dogs, 3-6 cats, 2-3 ferrets (or Guinea Pigs), and some other assorted pocket pets, so only having dogs is like cakewalk. Lol

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Top Dog

I think it all depends on what you can handle.

I have two right now and that's what I should limit myself to until my Kelpie x grows older. I would happily add a third if I was allowed but I know it would be stupid with how much work my Kelpie x is. So, I reckon three would be good for me IF I had the right mix of dogs but realistically only two are doable right now.

I wouldn't want to screw things up with my two. They handle each ether well and I know how they work. Having another would screw things up right now.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Twin 2

Right now I'm at my current personal limit with two young sport dog prospects. And that's with only working part time. As it is I'm training both of them individually multiple times daily, working on the human aspect of a sports team and that's on top of the physical exercise requirements they have. It's a lot.

Luckily I very much enjoy it but Didgie has made things.....interesting. Especially the kink I've run into with that I didn't expect. The herding dog motion sensitivity. Didgie latched onto Traveler fast and because of that all real exercise needs need to be met individually. Which makes things more complicated. And yeah, costs of everything FOR the training add up.

It's one of my dilemma's since I do eventually want to breed but I feel like personally more than three active, competing and in training dogs might be too much for me alone. As it is two is about perfect for me at this time.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Four, four is too many. Even with two who are retired and mostly couch slugs.

I have Steve in agility class and rally class right now, plus flyball practice. Bean has obedience class and he goes to flyball practice. It is a lot.
This. I really wish we had 2 or maybe 3, 4 is too many to never feel like someone is being neglected.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

That's the big question here at the moment

In the ideal world where I could get my hands on my ideal dog, then absolutely I would be a one dog person.

BUT...I have Frodo. Who is a far cry from what I want in a dog. I love him DEARLY, but he is lazy and unable to do many of the sports that I am interested in and would like to actually get started in. I think I could handle not being able to do sports, but the lazy kills me. There are some days that he doesn't even want to go on a simple walk, and after a block asks to go home. It's incredibly frustrating.

So then the issue becomes, can we add another dog and 1) still meet all of Frodo's mental/social needs as well as 2) be able to meet all of second (active!) dog's needs without Frodo interfering. And unfortunately we don't have an answer for this yet. I want another dog *so* bad, but I'm terrified of making a wrong decision

This also may sound ridiculous, but if we do stay at just Frodo for the remainder of his life, that means it'll probably be a good 8-10 years before I would get to try the things that I want to do like agility and skijoring. And that seems so far away. And to be childish, it also seems unfair.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Personally I'd like to stay at 4 (I know there are 6 in my sig but two are my moms dogs), might be willing to add a fifth if I feel it's worth the extra stress.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

I have 3 right now and they are nicely spaced out. Hobie is almost 13, Judge is 5 and LoLa is 19months. I think 3 is my number truly. I do have an AST puppy coming sometime next year so I may have 4 for awhile depending on Hobie's health, it's not that great unfortunately. I will also have a hard time not keeping a GSD puppy from the litter that I am going to socialize. But I have learned I keep my dogs forever and ever no matter what so I have to make sure that I am always in a position to be fair with time and attention and provide the best care I can.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Three is just slightly over my threshold. I love them all dearly and they love each other they work well as a pack but they gang up on me. LOL

I battle to take them out alone as they all go in different directions and have different energy levels. Riley ring leads and drives me to distraction. She is blatantly defiant and only listens to Paul or my Mom. I adore her and wouldn't trade her for the world. LOL

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 11-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I think three is plenty for me and Joey is almost like having two additional dogs with his crazy bouncy self lol. The ONLY way I could do a 4th is if Bamm was much older and a lazy lounging couch potato or if Josh wanted his own dog, but HE would have to do the training, etc for that dog because I have plenty training to do with my three as it is so I'll stick with three being my max right now.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Top Dog

I like two, with a revolving foster puppy. Right now, I just have Gambit, who has decided he will not live without another dog, period, lest he get stress induced colitis and almost die. But my eye is open for that special someone to drop into my life. After all, Gambit popped up on Saveapet right when I needed him.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.