Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Big Dog

I think it depends. Right now I live with my parents and even though we have a big house the layout is kinda odd and it makes it hard even with my old dog and the new puppy so right now two is more than enough so I don't actually see myself right now with more than two dogs, and this puppy is more like an overlap, because my boy Rocky is getting older by the day and we all missed having a puppy. Being said that, this is going to be my last puppy for a while. When I move out from here, hopefully in four years max (hopefully less) I will move out with my Aussie (and Rocky if he is still here) and probably get a second dog but not a puppy. I have plans on going to Agility classes with Skye once he gets older but so far he's been very different from what I expected so I will just have to wait and see. Living with my parents makes it more difficult, but I can see myself with two young/adult dogs easily with no problem.

--------
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I totally forgot about the entry fee part of it. That's the other reason I can only have two performance dogs, can't afford the entry fees! Not to mention seminars and everything else I want to do with them.
Once Zinga gets up and running too you will never forget it again lol

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Water Junkie

I think, in the next few years, I'd like to have two performance dogs. Being a young, in/right out of college person, two is a good number. Right now I've got one performance dog, and there are many times I wish I had two. More time spent training, dogs with different strengths, etc.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

I'm a one dog person. I love having one dog. I love the one on one time with Yoshi I just love everything about having one dog.

That being said I have juggled the thought of getting another dog when Yoshi gets older. I have no idea what I will do when I lose Yoshi. There are days when the only reason I get up is because I have to take care of her. I think having another dog would help me keep going and keep me in routine.

But really I don't know if I'd ever be able to convince myself to get another dog while Yoshi is still alive.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Love My Mutt <3

We have one... my parents will always only ever have one, and after their kids are gone, and Rosey is gone, I would be surprised if they had another. My dad would really like a pug later... my mom says no more dogs. She loves Rosey and loves having a dog, but she knows if it's just my dad and her, the dog would be 100% HER responsibility when my dad gets bored of it after a week, and she just doesn't have time for that to be fair to the dog.

I'll likely have multiples, but spread out so they're not all dying on me at the same time. Or, at least, stack my odds so it works that way.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

We have six, but to be fair, Ginger and Newt are hardly real dogs (they really choose to sleep or sit in their little bed about 23 hours a day, by choice) Four is our ideal, 5 is doable. But we have very laid back dogs. It is a lot easier to have multiples when they just happily hang out at your feet most of the day. It would be different if they were go go go types. But, I choose dogs who aren't that way. (I'm not a go go go person )
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Obey the Toad.

I think it depends on the situation. With no birds and socially compatible dogs (don't want to crate and rotate) I could do 4 at most. I could totally see having 4 labs (DH would never go for that), or 2 whippets and 2 labs, or a GSD, a couple of labs, and a whippet.

With 4 birds though 2 dogs is a good number. I really try to stick to one dog class at a time-it just gets too crazy otherwise. I don't compete with my dogs though.

There is a woman I know through dog classes who has 3 goldens, 2 GSDs, and 30 birds--from parakeets up to a blue and gold macaw. I don't know how she handles it honestly-just the cleaning involved with 5 hairy dogs and that many birds would eat up a significant chunk of the day.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Ball Thrower

I technically have one. Though 3 days a week I deal with my landlords dog. Feeding him, letting him outside and having him play with Chase (mine). When I move out, most likely I'll get a second dog, but I could see myself having 3 dogs at some point. Most likely after my cats have passed.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

Well...there are 8 here..occasionally we have a 9th foster and we've had up to 12 at once with foster puppies (WAY TOO MANY. GOOD LORD.). But, I live with my mom, and we've both said we would never have this many dogs on our own. Honestly the only problem I wish I could fix is some alert barking...they don't constantly bark but they do when someone comes in the door, it can be overwhelming to guests.

On my own? No more than four. Preferably two 'sports dogs', a pet, and a foster/something different. If I owned a home, maybe the 4 dogs and a small dog? Something like that. Right now 'my' dogs are Zoie, Skye, and Romeo...they mesh really well together, I like their dynamics, and although I've been thinking of a fourth...I think I will wait.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

As of right now I can see 3 being doable. This spring, I will be (human and dog Gods willing) adding a 3rd dog to the house. But mine are also 15 and almost 8. Its time to add before the soon to be middle (Ivan) is too old to play.