Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Top Dog

I can personally handle up to four. I enjoy having two performance dogs - three is at my limit and then a pet dog or two. I currently have three dogs (two performance, one dabbler that prefers to be a pet) and am also working Jason's Border Collie in performance. Jason has 4 dogs, with a 5th we just added as a foster. Since we work with dogs for a living now and are able to bring our dogs to work and train/exercise intermittently throughout the day, things are a lot more manageable than they otherwise may be. I never feel like I have too many dogs. I sometimes wonder if Jason enjoys having as many as he does but he seems to be happy and says he likes it. I am happy with my crew right now. I think once Eden is older, I will probably add another performance dog to get started but right now my dogs are young. There is a really lovely Koolie puppy that I would love - but not a good time
Old 11-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

I had 5 at one point; Rottweiler, 3 JRTs and a lab mix. It was fine because there were 6 people in the house & the dogs got plenty of attention. Then Shadow died and there were 4 when my brother and I moved out. Then my sister and other brother moved out and the house was left with my parents and 4 dogs. They are/were overwhelmed. They now have three and would love if I took Jack someday and my brother is taking Micki in the near future. They'll probably only have 1. Three is fine, four was fine, five seemed a bit much.

I think OH & I will have a limit at 2. He has fallen in love with Jack (who lives with my parents) and wants him to come live with us and we'd like another younger more active dog. He tells me that we can have a many as I want (which is awesome considering when we first got together he didn't like the idea of indoor dogs and wanted one under 10 pounds - he's evolving or loves me or something).

I do love having a huge pack to take ridiculous group pictures of!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM
such sights to show you

It depends a bit on the size and personality of the dogs for me. One or two Squashes or Maisys is plenty. I could probably have ten Pips if I had room for them.

Really, though, two or three is best for me. If I had small dogs OR a team of Alaskans I mushed with I could maybe see myself with 4. No more than 4 and no less than 2, though, pretty much no matter what.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I'm not sure if I have a number that's too many. In Texas at one point I think we had 10 in the house and I didn't feel overdogged, though rarely were they all out together. A lot of it probably helps is that we run like clockwork, so it's not all hectic chaos like most people think it is when they hear I have five dogs.

I would like to get down to a lesser amount of performance dogs. They are all 8 and under and the younger ones haven't yet started trialing. But that's most from lack of time and money than anything. I'd like to get down to having just a few that are performance dogs vs. retired housedogs/puppies.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I like two, my two are so comfortable. If I could bring Missy here, I would have the perfect 3. I think a permanent three would be doable for me if it was the "right" one - but higher than that unless I had someone helping me (like a SO or even a sibling *glares at brother* LOL) I wouldn't want to do it, I would feel like I wasn't being fair to my own dogs.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

One. Two if my husband/SO wants a dog one day.. so I guess two in the household but one for me personally.

I've always been a one dog person. The situation of me having a dog and my so having a dog would be perfect for me because I do think it's great for dogs to have somebody of their own species to hang out with but I would have one dog that is MINE
but otherwise? I'm a renter who only wants to live in major cities (which already makes one a big number) and my life is just suited for one dog..from sitting under cafe tables, to travel (not to mention finding a dog sitter) to riding the train.. everything is just easier with one (and one person can't bring two dogs on the train.)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

I always say I want one of my own and then I can foster! Two is too many for me right now. I'm so busy making money to afford them, I feel like I don't get to enjoy them enough... and then when I do see them enough, I don't see my friends or Tim enough. I think I just need a house-mate willing to live with my dogs, not just coexist.
ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC
Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 PM
& the Muttly Crew

For the household, the four we have are great. They mesh well, can go on walks either all together or in any pairing or solo. Just a fun and active group of dogs. Heck from a "household" standpoint, we could probably take on a couple more if they were good fits. Though to be honest I wouldn't want to.

For competing, though, I think two is my limit. I would gladly have more but there is just not enough time and money.

My ideal really would be to have two-to-three across a range of ages. One retiree or near-retiree. One in her prime. One up-and-comer. Perfect number so they can all come along to everything without getting overwhelming, and "only" one-to-two sets of entry fees!

Considering the age range currently in my household and future plans, it'll be a while til that ideal is possible. And there are definitely days that I think having one and only one would be pretty awesome lol. But if my current dogs could be with me forever, then all would be perfect.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 11-09-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

For me, I'm pretty certain two is my limit. Three MAYBE tops but that would be really depending and the dog would have to be very very special. But yeah two is pretty much my limit, which is why I'm being so picky and specific with choosing my second dog and trying to get timing and breed right etc. Because I won't be adding any more most likely until one passes.

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

I totally forgot about the entry fee part of it. That's the other reason I can only have two performance dogs, can't afford the entry fees! Not to mention seminars and everything else I want to do with them.