Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
2 would be my absolute limit. One is awesome. I can see when she gets old and unable to do agility anymore, needing to fill that void in my social life with another dog so I can keep training/competing. It would just be a bit of an overlap though, and then we'd be back to a one dog household.
I'm the same way, although, like Laurelin, I could see it maybe moving up to 3 for a brief period of time. I was actually quite happy with just Meg, until she started to let me know she wanted to cut back on agility. It is such a huge part of my life and social circle, I would have been lost. So, enter Gusto. Hopefully I have another 8 or more years before I need to worry about him wanting to be done.

I always want to have one dog actively training and/or competing. Even the last six months of no trialling has been depressing for me.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah the only reason #3 is even being thought about is Summer's age and Mia's knees. I'll be ecstatic if neither has to call it quits in agility for a long time though.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

I have three, soon to be four again. For most of my life we've had four. The last time we had four and went back down to three, I said I'd never do four again. But realistically, I would never do four really young dogs again. That was chaos. Never will I recommend that to anybody - all four were nearly the same age - just 8 months to a year between three plus a young puppy. Now that my current three are soon to be 6, 5 and 4yrs old and are all well trained, well mannered, and really easy to live with and make happy, I am adding another. None of my current dogs are performance dogs of any kind and are all what I would consider to be medium energy dogs, not requiring a whole lot from me anymore other than play and love (and food!). So this means that I will have a lot of time to focus on bringing up a high energy, needy puppy without having to worry nearly as much about my other dogs' needs.

I would never have more than four, though. Especially considering the type of dogs and breeds (high energy, like to be busy) I tend to like, I think more than four would just be too overwhelming. And if I lived by myself, I think I'd be happier with two or three.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Let it be

One is plenty with two kids two and under. Some days one is too many. Love ya Bandit, but its the truth.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

I loved having two dogs, but I have a hard time not picking a favourite. Out of fairness, I'll stick to one dog and have fosters.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Show Dog

I've got two currently, looking to add a third within the next year or so. Of my current dogs, only one is in classes. At this point I think I want to have one 'sport' dog, one big mush of a dog and my old man Bear. So instead of adding another higher energy performance prospect, I'm getting a Mastiff. He won't be a complete couch potato though. I plan on doing therapy work (temperament permitting) and possibly dabbling in rally with him, but he obviously won't be an athlete lol.

I would also love to foster, but that's not feasible right now. If I was living on my own with unlimited time and money I would always have at least two spots open for fosters. Or some type of hospice situation/retirement home...I do have a soft spot for those seniors.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I always preferred two, one so they each had company with each other, but not so that one was ever felt like odd dog out. I found it very hard to spread myself evenly and fairly past three. Then there is the age factor, are they the same age? Are you up to having 3 seniors at the same time with the health issues that come with it? IT's easy when they are puppies, not so easy on the pocket book and the back, when the grow old. 4 seniors, specially if they were medium to large could be difficult.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

I don't think I'll own more than 2 at once. I could see fostering though, so having three at a time. I've never owned multiples though, so I can't really say anything with confidence.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Top Dog

I would be happy with 2, but it really depends on the size. I could handle one big dog plus two little dogs, or more than three small dogs at a time.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Top Dog

I think I'm a one at a time person. For our household I could see going up to three. The boy-half wants two for himself.