Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Georgie throws a wrench in the system right now since she is almost the same age as Payton. Otherwise the three really aren't too bad - it helps that they are evenly spaced in age too. Auggie is 7, Pepper is 4, Pay is 1. All three years apart. Everybody is kind of at different stages as far as their maturation goes so it's interesting to work with them all and doesn't really give me a problem. Pepper is looking like she is starting to come around to the idea of playing with Payton which helps, because I am wanting to space them out a little bit further than three years in the future, but I was worried about old Auggie (he'll be ten) not wanting to play and Payton needing a playmate sooner. Hopefully Pepper will be able to handle the Payton when Auggie retires from playing and it'll be okay.
I will also admit that Georgie not being mine makes her a bit of a challenge, because she is... not really well behaved. My mom does not work with her dogs like I do with mine so Georgie can be seriously bad at times. So it's hard to come in with my set of rules and expect her to work like mine do. It's challenging. We're working on it. But the plus is that she is not mine so the frustration is only temporary, then it's gone.
The expenses aren't too bad for everybody right now except buying their heartworm meds, honestly. =P

I don't really feel a lot of guilt in leaving one behind, in fact I really like that going to the lake is Payton's "thing" and it's just the two of us. Auggie being Auggie, the bestest dog ever and my heart, I like having something just Payton and I do together...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If I had dogs that didn't care if they were left behind then I would have no problem leaving one behind!

The problem when I had Izzy and Frodo was that when I took one the other would bark and scream at the door! It's one of the reasons why when we get a second dog I am going to spend a lot of time in the beginning making coming and leaving really boring, whether you get to go or not (which we already do for Froman's SA, he gets no attention for 30 minutes before we leave or after we come back). I think when dog number two comes we will be doing bathroom times separate and spend a lot of time randomly grabbing one dog and walking through the apartment while the other one is set up with a Manners Minder/kong/something.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

We are currently at our limit with three. Adding fosters TOTALLY disrupts our pack and my life. I can't deal with it. Adding a permanent dog at this point is not an option - I have things I want to accomplish with Mu and Tipper and I won't do that (or be as effective in that) if we add another dog, especially a young one.

Honestly, I don't foresee adding another dog until Murphy is gone (which won't happen because he's going to live forever I'm sure of it). And I REALLY want a puppy so we're going to have to go with a breeder that does fantastic temperament testing and can give us a calm male dog that will get along with Mu and Tipper. And in my Dream It McDreamer world, will also have no reactivity, will mediate/split Mu and Tipper, and will actually want to cuddle with me.

PW - I know I keep teasing you about Cody (and really he does seem like he would fit your life REALLY well) but I totally understand your hesitation. Getting Tipper and the resulting chaos from that has really made me think about any future additions - it will be so hard to add another dog into a household that already has/had issues. Unfortunately I don't know if it's ever something you can be "prepared" for. I think at some point you just have to stop preparing, take the plunge, and hope it works. :|

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
PW - I know I keep teasing you about Cody (and really he does seem like he would fit your life REALLY well) but I totally understand your hesitation. Getting Tipper and the resulting chaos from that has really made me think about any future additions - it will be so hard to add another dog into a household that already has/had issues. Unfortunately I don't know if it's ever something you can be "prepared" for. I think at some point you just have to stop preparing, take the plunge, and hope it works. :|
Welp, I just submitted my application for him about 10 minutes ago.
We will see what happens. Erin said he has 4+ applications in already last she heard, so I'm by no means getting my hopes up.

Either way, I'm pretty much set on getting another dog. If Cody doesn't happen (which I doubt he will) then we are going to start actively searching March of next year, and Frodo is just going to have to deal.

I think a huge part of this working better than Frodo and Izzy did is that Ryan has an understanding of training dogs, he's completely committed to helping with dog number two, so we can actively work on one dog leaving the apartment at a time because he (or I) can stay behind and reward for calm behavior. In PA it was just me who was willing to work on it.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Welp, I just submitted my application for him about 10 minutes ago.
We will see what happens. Erin said he has 4+ applications in already last she heard, so I'm by no means getting my hopes up.
OMGOMGOMGOMG. I am so excited for you. (If you couldn't tell lol.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Either way, I'm pretty much set on getting another dog. If Cody doesn't happen (which I doubt he will) then we are going to start actively searching March of next year, and Frodo is just going to have to deal.

I think a huge part of this working better than Frodo and Izzy did is that Ryan has an understanding of training dogs, he's completely committed to helping with dog number two, so we can actively work on one dog leaving the apartment at a time because he (or I) can stay behind and reward for calm behavior. In PA it was just me who was willing to work on it.
Seriously, Matt is a HUGE part of the reason we were able to keep Tipper. He never once said we should not work on this, this is idiotic, this won't work, this is too hard, why did you get this dog or any variation thereof. He was just there and willing to help and follow directions (in his case, cause he didn't know how to train dogs). Having someone to be supportive is SO helpful. Especially when other people are acting like assholes about it.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Seriously, Matt is a HUGE part of the reason we were able to keep Tipper. He never once said we should not work on this, this is idiotic, this won't work, this is too hard, why did you get this dog or any variation thereof. He was just there and willing to help and follow directions (in his case, cause he didn't know how to train dogs). Having someone to be supportive is SO helpful. Especially when other people are acting like assholes about it.
^This.

Webster was a two-man job for a long time. Those who were close to me back then (okay that's probably one person on this whole forum lol...I wasn't a member here back then...) may remember my wild oscillations between adoring his brilliance and awesomeness and deploring his bloody-paws crate panicking, his total lack of dog-dog communication, his nonexistant frenzy threshold, etc...

Having a second person helping when there are two dogs and one takes a person's total focus...it's extremely helpful.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Sloan is Denis' dog, if we god forbid broke up she would go with him. However, I took her to work daily, I trained her in agility, I trial her, and he trains and trials in IPO, Dock, obed, and whatever else they try. The pit bulls are "mine" but he pulls plenty of weight with them. Backup is technically mine but honestly Denis is the reason he hasn't been sold a few times.

They're all "our" dogs really and sharing walks, money, energy, and management makes a world of difference.
A lot of this is how I feel it would work. They are all "our dogs" in the sense of that. However, unless we had a reactivity issue or something like that where two people have to work on it, when it comes to the herders, he has no desire to work or train with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Eh, Ozzy is a "husband" dog, but DH doesn't really have any interest in dog training at all. Like, I'm sure Ozzy would run amok in the neighborhood if he'd gotten him as a bachelor. He'd be a holy terror I think, and I think DH wouldn't really know what to do about it.

He still feeds everyone/lets everyone out, ect, but he doesn't really take anyone else anywhere, and if he does, it's only Enzo, and he's taking two of them, which is always Ozzy+1.
This. I'm afraid when birds are out of season, or deer season rolls around the GSP/V/Houla just isn't going to get as much attention via Josh as it should have. I already know and am totally and completely fine with the fact that I will probably be helping a lot with house manners and leash manners and stuff. He is already planning on working with our neighbor (Abbe Lane GSP's, pretty well known here for their field GSP's), which is awesome because then he will have a head start even before the pup comes around. I just hope it doesn't completely drive me up the wall on the off season where it isn't getting AS much exercise. I'm almost hoping they get into trialing so that even in the summer and such they are working birds.

I wish I wasn't such a plan, plan, plan kind of person.

Oh, and Beanie, as much as Georgie is naughty, she is gorgeous. Haha.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Oh, and Beanie, as much as Georgie is naughty, she is gorgeous. Haha.
Some dogs are born extra cute because otherwise nobody would love them... nobody.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I was thinking about this thread last night and honestly... I think I could handle 4 dogs, just not right now. I would LOVE to add another Ibizan one day and I have to have a Saluki one day. I think more than likely if we ever add a 4th dog though it will be Josh's dog and he's been pretty interested in Ridgebacks lately. I do NOT want a 4th dog though until we actually own our own home which wont be for another 3-5 years at least. It's hard enough trying to rent with three dogs as it is. I definitely definitely want another Ibizan or a Saluki though at some point. As much as I love other breeds I'll probably stick with sighthounds... they're a lot of fun imo.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Top Dog

If I owned my own home and had a significant other willing to help out with household stuff (feeding, letting outside basically) then I could see having two young sport dogs at the same time. My situation right now isn't even ideal for one dog though.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years