Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default How many is too many?

DH and I have been discussing this for a while. Talking about what our limit is for a pack to spend the right amount of time in training and such.

Honestly, we said no more than 4. Ever. That may be unrealistic, as I'd like four of our own, plus one foster.

For those of you who have three or four (or more!), what are your thoughts?

Our plan is Boxer, American Bull, Vizsla or Catahoula, and Koolie or ACD. ACD for foster. Right now, we obviously have the ACD mix and the Boxer. The Boxer will always just be a family dog. She nor I have any interest of doing dog sports. She just doesn't care. She loves hiking and being a fool. Any sort of thing that takes work is out. Rider loves to please. And has a huge prey drive. Honestly, I think he is turning into more of my DH's dog and may become the squirrel and bunny dog he's wanted for a while. He will be gone before we get a Houla or a V (those MUST wait until we have our own set up). The bullies will stay mainly just family dogs, while the higher drives are going to be more involved in sports and such.

Another thing is how many do you have in classes at one time?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I've got four. We're definitely at our limit for the time being. I have two in classes off and on. The two pointy dogs are in Nosework and IPO. The other two are our couch potatoes. They don't really do classes, but we do things in pairs. Ozzy goes running with DH, Oz and Zo go hiking with us. Enzo and Indy go to the dog park with me, and Knox generally just rides everywhere with me.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm All Ears

I have two of my own, we've had up to 6 at a time. 2 shelties and 4 papillons and then 5 papillons +terrier foster.

6 is a lot but doable if the dogs are small. The 5 paps all together mesh so well and such that they work out great. The only problem is walking them. Even though they're small, it is an effort to get all of them out together. My dad just doesn't walk his. He has acreage and they're not demanding. But for me, I'd have to pick and choose. I like off leash walking and with that many it starts to get more complicated. There's no way I could do as much with all 6 as I do with my 2. Just talking hiking and classes and trips and such.

I'm going to end up with three although 2 is my ideal. Summer should be around 10 when I get my next dog. Mia will be 5ish. Will be a small to mid sized herding breed. Breed is still up in the air at the moment.

If I didn't have to work, had infinite money, and had a lot of room, I'd go for four. Would love a pair of papillons and a pair of herders. My dogs are both in classes now. We do 5 classes a week and it's... a big big chunk of my money. I think once Summer is 10, she'll probably be doing less. Or Mia might have to be retired for her knees. I dunno. But if they're both still going strong in agility, I may push it back more. Dog 3 comes when I can comfortably add in another class or two for new dog. I never ever want to shortchange my current dogs for a new 'potential' dog. And I think agility is keeping Summer young so definitely will keep her in it as long as she wants to continue.

I think I will almost always have 2-3. Ideal 1 trained dog, one on the verge of retiring/retired, and 1 young dog. 3 would probably be a 'crossover' period for me much as I hate to even think about that.

Last edited by Laurelin; 11-09-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

2 would be my absolute limit. One is awesome. I can see when she gets old and unable to do agility anymore, needing to fill that void in my social life with another dog so I can keep training/competing. It would just be a bit of an overlap though, and then we'd be back to a one dog household.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM
overdogged

Four, four is too many. Even with two who are retired and mostly couch slugs.

I have Steve in agility class and rally class right now, plus flyball practice. Bean has obedience class and he goes to flyball practice. It is a lot.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah we have Mia in agility, rally, and nosework classes. Summer is in rally and agility classes. It's a lot. lol I tallied up my training budget and it's pretty bad.

Nextdog I want in at least disk (but they only practice 1x a month). I'd like to try a couple other sports too. Like I said... if I had more money and endless time....
Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

I'm at my limit with two young performance dogs. We do agility and disc, and I rarely have enough time to get in sufficient practice with both of them.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

This is a hard subject for me. I go back and forth so much. I am living in a two dog household. Chloe is mine, Violet belongs to my parents. In this household, we will likely NOT add another dog. Violet is a big handful and is quite enough for us. Even though her energy level and behavior are getting better/easier to handle with age, her general grooming and upkeep is enough for us right now. Chloe's so easy that she hardly counts lol! Even my dad admits that.

As for once I'm out of the house, I will absolutely add another dog. I will likely be adding a Whippet. But I could definitely see myself with two Whippets AND Chloe. I think 3 would be my limit, with room for a foster.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 11-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Behavior Nerd

I have 4 and 3 was our limit before Snipe changed things. Adding a 5th as a foster dog is really tough but we do it occasionally.

Between the 4 dogs, I have *eight* sports that we train or compete in. Thank goodness I set my own schedule!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I have three. Some days I feel overdogged. Kerri has 5, though last month we had 6 till one tragically died. I move in off and on.. so together we have 8. In past with fosters combined we've had 11.

Some days it's a lot. Some days it goes like clockwork.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground