Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Top Dog

Default Does anyone like board games?

Does anyone like to sit around the dining room table and play board games anymore? Or is it all computer games these days?

When I was a kid, I played some board games, but my family really wasn't into it much. So, it wasn't a family thing....but more with some friends or my brother sometimes.

When I was married and the kids were young, we'd have friends over and play Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, and a few other games, sometimes card games. And when the kids were older, I played the game, Upwards a lot with a friend of mine and also my daughter. It's a fun one, kind of like Scrabble but even more versatile, I think.

I haven't played any board games for some time now, but have quite a stack of them in a closet just waiting for someone to take them out and play. I'm getting a hankering just now, as the weather gets cold and being inside is becoming more appealing, all cozy, with pop corn or some kind of snack at hand. Now, I just need someone to play with. LOL. Maybe next time my daughter comes to visit or my ex. My son might, but I'm not sure he's that into those kinds of games.

What are your favorites and who do you play games with, how often? Do you go in phases or is it rather regular that you get together with friends and sit down at a table to play board games?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We love them! We don't play them often and usually it's just at family gatherings but we're still big fans.

Sorry! and Scrabble are favorites.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM
We are Home.

We are but with it just being the two of us its not really worth it right now. When the kids are older DEFINATLY will be playing them alot. I think they are honestly in some cases GREAT educational tools.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Wookie Collie

Saturday nights are game night at our place. Folks just come over if they're available and we play card or board games around the table. No video games, no computers, no TV.

If no one comes, we play as a household.

Our favourites are Munchkin, Robo Rally, Cards Against Humanity, Apple to Apples, Quarriors, Settlers of Catan and Lego Creationary. We also play some oldschool classics like Scrabble and Pictionary.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
Saturday nights are game night at our place. Folks just come over if they're available and we play card or board games around the table. No video games, no computers, no TV.

If no one comes, we play as a household.

Our favourites are Munchkin, Robo Rally, Cards Against Humanity, Apple to Apples, Quarriors, Settlers of Catan and Lego Creationary. We also play some oldschool classics like Scrabble and Pictionary.
fun, I want to come over!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

We play scrabble anytime we get together with my MIL and when my mom comes down for Christmas I've already told her we'll be having a tournament LOL.

right now most of our board game play is with Hannah and her games. Chutes and Ladders (I hate this game lol I never win. I always end up hitting the LONGEST chute LOL), candy land, hungry hungry hippos, etc.

WE also like Life and Monopoly a lot too.

We had a game night at our church a few weeks back and it was SO much fun and I think we'll be planning those more often since everyone had such a good time

ETA: OH yeah... LOVE apples to apples lol. It's so terrible but I almost peed my pants. Last time we played (at our church game night) the descriptive word was "Quiet" and someone threw in "Hellen Keller".

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
fun, I want to come over!
Seconded!

I love love love board games. Cranium, Sorry!, Pictionary, Apples to Apples, Cards Against Humanity, all those weird ones with funky names that make you do crazy things...game night is my favorite
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

I used to have game night like Allie when I knew more people/lived elsewhere.

Now I don't really have anyone to play with. Bananagrams, scrabble, pictionary, catch phrase, are our most common ones, but we do settlers of catan, risk, munchkin, and citadels sometimes, too.

I also like taboo, balderdash, most word games.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

That sounds really fun Allie...a regular game night. Very cool! I think I'll try to start something like that.

I don't recognize many of the games mentioned. Might just have to try a few of those. Hey! Does anyone have Risk? I use to....don't know if I still have it or not...think it got lost or tossed when moving or something...don't recall seeing it. Might have to buy another one. It was fun.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
That sounds really fun Allie...a regular game night. Very cool! I think I'll try to start something like that.

I don't recognize many of the games mentioned. Might just have to try a few of those. Hey! Does anyone have Risk? I use to....don't know if I still have it or not...think it got lost or tossed when moving or something...don't recall seeing it. Might have to buy another one. It was fun.
We have Risk We don't play anymore because Brian always wins and I pout

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney