Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Default What genre of books do you read?

Our local bookstore had a fifty cents sale and I kind of went crazy. I think I'll post some books here for a free cycle post but wanted to see what people actually read. I have an odd taste in books lol so checking to see if anyone might even like what I have

Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Twin 2

Fantasy mainly. Some supernatural if it's done well but I've not found a ton of those I really like. Some Science Fiction. I'm also a big fan of Post holocaust and dystopian storylines.

I also almost elusively read books with a female main character. Just one of my preferences.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I really read anything.. Really all over the board there. I find I tend to prefer female authors.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

I'm reading a ton of young adult fiction lately, because I want to have something to talk to my students about (and suggest they read, if they claim they "don't like reading")
Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Felurian

I'm all over the place, but my favorite is fantasy. I don't seem to read the same ones as most though. Patricia McKillip and Patricia Kennealy Morrison are two of my favorite authors, and I veer toward authors with Celt sounding names (natural storytellers, lol!) and Celt-based fantasy.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I read all sorts of different stuff... It depends on what I am in the mood for and what catches my interest.

The only genre I really do not read is romance...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Fantasy and science fiction mostly. I especially like dystopias (though oddly not some of the more famous ones, I don't like old books a lot of the time). I tend to like male main characters, but to be honest I can't think of one I've read with a female main character of the top of my head.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

I'm always really really surprised by how many on here are into fantasy/sci fi books - I had no idea they were so popular and don't know many IRL who read them.

I read all genres, but mostly all classics or modern books with really high reviews. I'm kind of a book snob, if I consider it "fluffy" I feel like it's a waste of time and I'd rather watch a movie. The lightest reading I've ever done is Jodie Picoult, and I wouldn't read anything by her by choice anymore.

I read a lot of plays, Shakespeare, Sartre, Albee, lots of post-modern (Pynchon, Vonnegut, Nabakov), A TON of Russian stuff (Dostoevsky, Tolstoy) - that's my favorite genre. Then other stuff like Love In The Time of Cholera, Moby Dick, Ragtime, The Poisonwood Bible, 10,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Candide, etc.

ETA: dystopian or fantasy/sci-fi has to be like Orwell or Bradbury or something. I also read a ton of children's novels, Bridge To Terabithia, Alice In Wonderland, Pinocchio, The Giver, etc.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Felurian

Not sure I really consider Alice a children's book

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Top Dog

I'm a horror, mystery, sci fi, fantasy girl myself lol.

I'll try and get some books up this weekend