Is anyone interested in doing a "trick of the week" game again?

Maxy24

I'll definitely give it a go whenever I'm home. Though I tend to fail lol, I never could teach him to cross his paws.

milos_mommy

I'd like to join, but I'm skeptical about my ability to keep up with it.

I REALLY like the idea of having a simple trick and harder trick, or like a beginner/advanced version of one trick: "sit up" vs "sit up and hold it"

I agree with Aleron, I think maybe all having the same trick but upping the level of difficulty would work best. Mainly because I think we've tried to advanced and simple trick thing before and it ends up not working.

Like, Traveler knows sit up but he doesn't know it on an unstable surface or he can't go from fully standing on two legs into sit up.

So I think maybe starting with something simple that can be taken and made advanced would work well.

SaraB

I agree with Aleron, I think maybe all having the same trick but upping the level of difficulty would work best. Mainly because I think we've tried to advanced and simple trick thing before and it ends up not working.

Like, Traveler knows sit up but he doesn't know it on an unstable surface or he can't go from fully standing on two legs into sit up.

So I think maybe starting with something simple that can be taken and made advanced would work well.
I like this idea better too. Mostly because I want to work on Zuma sitting up while doing a footstall. I vote sit up is our first trick!

I like this idea better too. Mostly because I want to work on Zuma sitting up while doing a footstall. I vote sit up is our first trick!
I agree! Mainly because I stopped teaching sit up to Didgie since I was tired of getting it everytime I asked for a sit. So I need to go back and rework that.

So, how does everyone like sit up?

I like it. Squash has a rudimentary sit up, but I'd like to work on holding it longer and/or teach one of the other dogs.

I do think maybe we put it in the picture forum though so that we can embed video's (again, it would be really nice if we could embed all around the forum)

Taqroy

I agree! Mainly because I stopped teaching sit up to Didgie since I was tired of getting it everytime I asked for a sit. So I need to go back and rework that.

So, how does everyone like sit up?
Doesn't sit up take quite awhile to build up core muscles? I didn't think it was a trick you could teach in a week. Plus, I personally don't like it because neither of my intended dogs are built for it. :lol-sign:

SaraB

Doesn't sit up take quite awhile to build up core muscles? I didn't think it was a trick you could teach in a week. Plus, I personally don't like it because neither of my intended dogs are built for it. :lol-sign:
I know tons of short legged dogs that can sit up! Yes it does take a while to build duration, but the trick itself can be taught very quickly.

I know tons of short legged dogs that can sit up! Yes it does take a while to build duration, but the trick itself can be taught very quickly.
That!

Even rolly polly fat Didgie was able to do this a few months ago when I kinda started it. She couldn't hold it of course but she could do it for a second or two!

SaraB

Here's an idea, since not everyone is going to be happy with every trick, how about we rotate through who decides the trick? So Taq, if you don't the trick this week, maybe you can pick the next one?

I also think we should go longer than a week for each trick. Maybe a trick of the month or two weeks or whatever.

Taqroy

In Tipper's case it's more of a back length problem and in Murphy's case a back length + being nine + my paranoia about arthritis and him hurting himself. So like I said, it's a personal thing for me and I really don't want the whole thing to be based on me (and I do have a backup dog that I could use :p).

Here's an idea, since not everyone is going to be happy with every trick, how about we rotate through who decides the trick? So Taq, if you don't the trick this week, maybe you can pick the next one?
That sounds like too much responsibility. :lol-sign: I'm totally willing to throw ideas out though.

ETA: Actually I vote for an executive decision on the first trick and then maybe we could poll for the rest of them? If we don't get enough votes then we'll just default to executive and/or anyone who cares enough to post?

Aleron

In Tipper's case it's more of a back length problem and in Murphy's case a back length + being nine + my paranoia about arthritis and him hurting himself. So like I said, it's a personal thing for me and I really don't want the whole thing to be based on me (and I do have a backup dog that I could use :p).
FWIW Sitting up is actually suggested for long backed dogs to help prevent injury.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'd totally try to take part.

... Though ill sit out the first one. Spinal arthritis + 16 years old doesn't make sitting up feasible :p

milos_mommy

Maybe instead those of you who don't want to do "sit up" can have your dog sit on a specific location? Like put a pillow or mat down or even a spot on the chair or couch and have the dog sit there?

milos_mommy

I was going to start doing this now, but it's oddly quiet in my house, and the dog is not on top of me.

I think I'll let him sleep a while :p

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I like this idea, but I'm not sure how much I'll be participating :p

But, maybe what someone could do, or as a collaborative is come up with like, 14 to 20 tricks, and then we know what we'll be working on, but no cheating and working ahead? Or something?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
What about choosing a few tricks every month? Contest like... see how many from a selected list can you teach in a month?

Members online

No members online now.