Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

Well Fran it's nice we agree on a few of the main point I was making. It just makes my blood boil when I see somebody say "Mutts make me want to puke" so I get defensive of my sweet little boy, as I'm sure you understand.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittana
Designer mutts make me want to puke, and people supporting this... foul breeding makes me want to shoot myself.

It's a cocker spaniel cross poodle, not a cokapoo.
You're absolutely right Kittana....it's not a cokapoo, it's a Cockapoo.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

I think he/she didn't mean it that way. I hate 'designer breeds' also, but it's not the dogs that I hate, just the notion... if it makes sense. I've always found cockapoos adorable quite frankly, I just would never support such breeding. But you're likely to see me looking up cocker mixes on petfinder next time I get the green light to get another dog...
Old 01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Debate

Ive noticed that on this board that as soon as you mention you own a maltipoo or cockerpoo etc you get jumped on, before I bought Madeline I never thought it was such a no no to have a mixed breed. Now when Im out and people ask what puppy I have, Im embarassed to say. My Sister Inlaw and myself both got maltipoo's from different breeders, they are both lovely little dogs and I should be proud of her, I actually feel sorry for her sometimes that people have this feeling about mixed breeds. But as long as I love her I guess it doesnt matter.

MY LITTLE MADELINE And LICORICE

Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=213784 AND http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=213881
Old 01-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

For the 10th time, the problem isn't the dog but the breeders.

I have nothing against people who got a mixed breed without knowing better. It's when they are aware of the surpopulation in shelters, or that lots of breeders just take advantage of their popularity to make a quick buck, but still decide to get their dog from one of those breeders that it bothers me, because they're just encouraging unethical breeders by giving them their money... and those people will just keep breeding their dogs and adding to the dog surpopulation because it's just too easy to make money that way. If they didn't sell their dogs, they would stop breeding them. That's the result we're trying to reach. And for the 100th time, it's the SAME THING with backyard breeders of PUREBRED dogs.

The way you take it though, I'm starting to think that you just don't realize that you just encouraged the breeder you got your dog from to just keep adding more mutts to shelters. Did you get a spay/neuter contract with your dog? Did they make you sign a paper saying you're not allowed to rehome the dog without letting them know? If you didn't, you should realize that the breeder you got your puppy from just doesn't care about the puppies. He just cares about how much money he gets from selling them to the first people he sees that wants a puppy. And you should learn from it. Lots of us have done what you did, and bought a puppy (purebred or mutt) from such a breeder. I've done it also. The difference is that I admit I made a mistake, and that I will never get a dog from such a breeder again, because I think it's wrong to encourage such breeding.

You know, I'm not proud when people ask me where I got Boris and I tell them I got him from a place that sells puppies from backyard breeders. The difference is that I don't blame anyone for doing what I did, just me. You just don't seem to understand what bothers us, and I think that's the main problem.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:33 PM
BlackDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaline
Ive noticed that on this board that as soon as you mention you own a maltipoo or cockerpoo etc you get jumped on, before I bought Madeline I never thought it was such a no no to have a mixed breed. Now when Im out and people ask what puppy I have, Im embarassed to say. My Sister Inlaw and myself both got maltipoo's from different breeders, they are both lovely little dogs and I should be proud of her, I actually feel sorry for her sometimes that people have this feeling about mixed breeds. But as long as I love her I guess it doesnt matter.
No, you get jumped on if you say you bought it from a pet store, breeder, or are planning to breeding your dog. I have yet so see anyone jump on a poster for simply owning a mix. Shelter and rescue dogs need homes and we encourage people to adopt a dog in need. It takes a very loving heart to do sure a wonderful service to our beloved k-9 population.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

I absolutely got a spay/neuter contract, and he's chipped with the breeders info.
Some of these breeders do care, and aren't just adding to overpopulation.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

I wasn't talking to you in my post, but it's good to know. I am glad that some designer breed breeders at least take the effort of doing things responsibly. The only thing I don't get is why did they decide to breed in the first place? I'm more and more starting to think that just because a breeder breeds responsibly doesn't make it right to breed.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

I am convinced that many Designer breeders think they are Louis Dobermann .
Old 01-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

Apparently nothing makes it right to breed dogs. Unless the dog gods have smiled upon you ensuring you will yield nothing but show quality, you have no right breeding.
Until somebody comes up with a sure fire way to only allow a certain number of people to breed, a certain number of times...there will always be an overpopulation of dogs. At least I've purchased from somebody who cared enough to check for health problems, and is trying to produce quality dogs, and send them to great homes.