Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

It's funny how even regionally different things are "weird"...here lots of people haven't eaten venison, bison, boar, but I don't know anyone who doesn't have sushi pretty much weekly.

Eel, calamari, octopus, roe/caviar, none of which I'd consider unusual, they're available at most sit-down restaurants and grocers here.

One thing pretty available that I've never eaten is shark. I'll try ANY food, but when it comes to shark, I always say "I don't eat them, they don't eat me". They're one of my favorite animals, I just don't want to eat one. I'd horse, cat, whatever, if given the chance...but not shark. Maybe not dog.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Just try me..

oh ya octopus.. meh chewie.

Pdubya.. you can have my lifetime's allotment of venison lol.

but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww mealworms.. I don't even want to think about being allotted mealworms.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

My friend (actually the baby's dad) who ate the worms with me said a piece got stuck on his tongue ring

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-07-2012, 10:58 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
My friend (actually the baby's dad) who ate the worms with me said a piece got stuck on his tongue ring
That's gross. And also, now I know why he's yo baby daddy! yes I'm a perv.

The creepiest thing I've eaten was escargot on a cruise ship. I know, super daring!!! It has been creepy learning to eat & prepare meat period, these past few months. After being a vegetarian for 8 years, meat looked and smelled like "dog food" to me since I only handled it while preparing their food. I have tried venison, quail and pheasant. I wouldn't ever eat a carnivore or a social/pack animal.

I can't even eat a sushi roll of any kind. I'll gag. When things gross me out mentally, I can't get over it and eat it. Even things that I think were prepared by a dirty/unsanitary person are nauseating to me.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Top Dog

Mealworms. They were quite tasty. They were either cooked for freeze dried, I don't remember, and they were BBQ flavoured.

Less weird is vension, rabbit and bison. I liked the bison, rabbit was pretty good, and the venison was tolerable, but a bit TOO gamey.

I attempted to eat a crayfish once. But once it was on my plate and staring at me, I couldn't do it lol
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Crawfish are NOM.

Venison is delicious, but if it was a buck, yeah the meat can be "gamey"-er because of testosterone.
Sushi is good, but I don't eat non cooked sushi. I'll barf.
Alligator tail
Emu I'm sure, because my uncle raised them, but I was probably too young to really remember.
I don't like rabbit, but bison is rather tasty, though I don't tolerate most red meats well anymore.
I love clam strips, but oysters, calamari and octupus I won't touch
Old 11-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

Oh, I did try alligator once. I found some on sale and got it for the dogs. I wasn' quite sure if it was okay for them to eat raw (probably would be fine, but whatever) so I cooked it up for treats. They turned out to be horrible treats because the dogs didn't like it. I didn't either. I probably WAYYYYYYYY overcooked it. I tend to overcook fish, too, but to the point it flakes up and turns into a fish...reduction sauce lol, and is still tasty.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

The tail I had was wrapped in bacon and sauteed I think. It's been awhile, but I remember eating a few of them, so they couldn't have been bad. I'll usually try two of something just to make sure I don't like it lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Top Dog

most of what ya'll are calling weird sounds normal to me: boar, frog legs, snail, quail etc
that i actually consider unusual (mostly because it's rare or expensive or not commonly eaten): ostrich, alligator, beaver, muskrat, bison, snake, crow, pigeon, shaggy mane mushrooms, cattails, wood sorrel, daylilly buds/flowers (list could be longer but i'm not thinking too hard about it)
genuinely weird: cat, dog, macaw (yes the parrot), grubs, rabbit eyeballs, precalcified eggs (yes from inside the chicken), sea urchin
the eyeballs, eggs & dog creeped me out the most, would eat them again if needed but not excited about it.
aligator, snake, crow, macaw & grubs nothing to write home about but not bad.
i found cat to be a delicious tender white meat similar to storebought pork, will eat it again every reasonable chance i get.
i love a good octopus salad (ensalada pulpo), conch salad, ceviche, sushi, escargot, sea urchi
beaver, muskrat, pigeon, bison & ostrich were delicious red meats
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Original Twin

Rabbit
Venison
Boar
Turtle
Beef tongue
escargot
carpaccio
beef tartare
ostrich