Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Found a worm

Hi

Rosie is 4 months old. She gets wormed once a month by the vet.

However, to day she was sick and there one a long (approx 3inch) worm wiggling around in it. The worm saw pale in colour.

I put the worm in a jar and called the vet. She's going to the vets today at 6pm.

I take it these worms should not be there as she is wormed once a month?. Her last worming was 2 weeks ago.

Should I be worried?.

Thanks

James
Old 01-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

Keep us posted. I'm thinking maybe it was a dying worm, or one she just got, but the vet will be more helpful I'm sure.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

I wouldn't be too worried. You are taking him back to the vet. He just may need more treatment. I am sure the treatment will ultimately solve the problem with no long term effects. I would worry if you weren't taking him back to get him the medical attention he needs.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Active Pup

It may be something that she has picked up whilst out and about rumaging. Does she poop in your garden and do you clear it up regularly ?

We had similar last month, our 6 month old was sick and had a worm in it, we got some more worming paste from the Vet and she's been fine, they said she has probably breathed something in whilst out on a walk.

Our worming Tablets and paste etc, last for 3 months and then she has to have some more.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Sounds like round worms. She could have been wormed 2 weeks ago for them, but with their lifecycle she should be wormed again two weeks after the first worming.

I also think it is a little strange that your vet didn't give you medication for the followup treatment for roundworms. A followup treatment should be given at two weeks not a month later. With the lifecycle of the roundworm when you give the treatment it kills only the adult roundworms not the immature larva. So it takes two weeks for them to mature and reach the digestive system. So they can be killed too.

Pyrantel pamoate does a good job on rounds and hooks. And it is available over the counter. If you can identify the worms.

If a very heavy infestation or possiblity of reinfection, I would give another dose two weeks from now too. Just my opinion of course.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Top Dog

There is no reason for worms this day and age. I always had my females checked before breeding and would have the pups stools checked at 4 weeks. Yes, I did have tapeworms in adult dogs before we had the control for fleas ... I can truthfully say I've never had ANY worm problems for over 20 years. ( Maybe more ! )

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Dog Show Addict

its common for pups to get worms.. Riot had it once when he was 9 weeks old and then again a few months ago even though hes on Interveptor and Advantage. Its just because hes out and about every single day at a different place meeting new dogs.

It could be that your pup is just getting rid of the worms that the previous wormer had killed as well. but Usually when a pup has worms you go on a worming schedule for three times once every two weeks and then once a month.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 01-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Island dweller

Could be a tapeworm. Mav had them and they were so gross. Not all dewormers include tapeworms.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Dog Show Addict

Quote:
Not all dewormers include tapeworms
Very good point as well!

Riots first bout was with hookworm and the second was round worm.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 01-27-2006, 04:58 PM
LovesAdrienne

Worms are so gross. Adrienne had tapeworm and even in the dying process when they were coming out it made me wanna turn around and run.. lol