Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogBuford View Post
There are ignorant people everywhere, including collage graduates and high school drop outs. There are also brilliant people everywhere, including collage graduates and high school drop outs. The circumstances for everyone is different and if people would just stop being such twats to each other maybe everyone could start working together towards a common goal.

I agree. But it seems there's much more animosity from the north directed to the south. Whether or not there actually is, who knows. But as someone from the south, who has traveled all over much of the country (with the exception of the west coast), that is just the perception I personally have based on experience.

But I'm the first person to gush about how awesomely nice my best friend's friends and the friends' parents were when I spent the summer of '98 in New York (Valley Cottage and Nyack, to be more specific).

You'll find wonderful people everywhere. You'll find asshats everywhere. That's how it is all over the world.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I agree. But it seems there's much more animosity from the north directed to the south. Whether or not there actually is, who knows. But as someone from the south, who has traveled all over much of the country (with the exception of the west coast), that is just the perception I personally have based on experience.

But I'm the first person to gush about how awesomely nice my best friend's friends and the friends' parents were when I spent the summer of '98 in New York (Valley Cottage and Nyack, to be more specific).

You'll find wonderful people everywhere. You'll find asshats everywhere. That's how it is all over the world.
I'm from the North, moved to the South, and now I'm in the West. Granted, it was Memphis and I visited Texas and Virginia as well, but it was the worst experience of my life. The people were terrible. If you didn't know anyone, you didn't get anywhere. As soon as anyone found out I was a Northerner, I was shunned pretty quickly. Everyone told me I was a tight ass because I spoke properly. God forbid I said anything about religion or liberal views. It was extremely, extremely clique-y good ol' boy system. With plenty of racism and hatred. And everyone said, "Oh, it's like this everywhere you go!"

That hasn't been my experience at all. But everyone has different standards of "polite" and definitely different social standards. I did not fit the Southern "tongue in cheek" "bless your heart" social standard at all. And someone from that culture who goes north is going to be taken aback by our sheer bluntness about everything. We sugarcoat very little, but it weeds through the friends and enemies faster. You don't have to have social connections to get anywhere. And out west? No one cares about anything. Lol.

So far I love the West the most. It's mostly all good people, the worst people are easy to spot and easy to avoid. But the rest of the country, it's definitely a North vs South thing. They are just too different to get along unless you have a very open mind.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Obey the Toad.

As someone who lives in northwest Indiana I would LOVE to live in southeast Tennessee. The only reasons I wouldn't live in the deep south are the heat, the snakes, the gators, the snakes, the heat--lol.

Oh, and it would be fantastic to be able to find Muscadine wine easily-I developed a taste for it in Tennessee and can't find it ANYWHERE up here.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I was born and raised in the south. How on earth did I ever never make lower than a "B" in school? And that 31 on my ACT? Why...that must be a mistake! And is it actually possible to graduate college, much less with a BS and 2 minors, with a 3.87 GPA? And then get an AA degree after all that? Wow! And to think I never took a single medication for my generalized anxiety and clinical depression until my senior year of college. And I wasn't expelled either! Wowza!

Ok. I'll go back now to shootin' snakes and eatin' chitlins while spittin' my tobaccey and scratchin' my ass.
First, props to you my lady cause that kind of education record is impressive, no matter if your south, north, east, west, upside down, or sideways.

Second, your last sentence made me spit my tea everywhere LOL

Also, I agree with CharlieDog's first post about the southern stereotyping.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
As someone who lives in northwest Indiana I would LOVE to live in southeast Tennessee. The only reasons I wouldn't live in the deep south are the heat, the snakes, the gators, the snakes, the heat--lol.

Oh, and it would be fantastic to be able to find Muscadine wine easily-I developed a taste for it in Tennessee and can't find it ANYWHERE up here.
I am in south GA, about an hour or so from the FL line, and the heat is KILLER. Well no so much the heat but the humidity, holy smokes batman at the humidity!
Snakes don't bother me and well, we don't have many gators around here. That's them crazy FL folks

Over the summer, we hit like 108 because of the humidity. I wanted to DIE. My hair... oh my poor hair was 6 ways to Sunday that day. Couldn't curl it for ****, and FORGET straightening it BAHAHA!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Felurian

Quote:

You'd be better off in the middle or more northerly part of east Tennessee if that's what you want, although when you get up against the North Carolina border you're enough in the mountains that it doesn't get too hot in the summer -- pretty much anything east of Knoxville.

There are even some local wineries that make muscadine wine, or you can pick them yourself -- they grow wild -- and make your own.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Big Dog

Well, I guess I'll take my high school drop out Northwestern in your face directness and just freeze all the new comers out whilst wearing wool socks and Birkenstocks.

I spent some time in the south and my impression (albeit anecdotal) was that everyone was sugar nice to your face and just talked about your behind your back. *shrug*
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

i haven't drank in almost 20 years, but i do taste (& spit) every wine i cook with. this place has some really nice vintages, you might want to see if your liquor store will get it for you.
http://www.duplinwinery.com/
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Of course. I heard all Northerners like sugar in their grits. Which is blasphemy, as you know.
Sugar may make grits edible...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I'm from the North, moved to the South, and now I'm in the West. Granted, it was Memphis and I visited Texas and Virginia as well, but it was the worst experience of my life. The people were terrible. If you didn't know anyone, you didn't get anywhere. As soon as anyone found out I was a Northerner, I was shunned pretty quickly. Everyone told me I was a tight ass because I spoke properly. God forbid I said anything about religion or liberal views. It was extremely, extremely clique-y good ol' boy system. With plenty of racism and hatred. And everyone said, "Oh, it's like this everywhere you go!"

That hasn't been my experience at all. But everyone has different standards of "polite" and definitely different social standards. I did not fit the Southern "tongue in cheek" "bless your heart" social standard at all. And someone from that culture who goes north is going to be taken aback by our sheer bluntness about everything. We sugarcoat very little, but it weeds through the friends and enemies faster. You don't have to have social connections to get anywhere. And out west? No one cares about anything. Lol.

So far I love the West the most. It's mostly all good people, the worst people are easy to spot and easy to avoid. But the rest of the country, it's definitely a North vs South thing. They are just too different to get along unless you have a very open mind.
IME a lot of yanks come down south & then instead of trying to adapt to the local culture they try to push the standards where they came from. examples like my yankee friend's sister going are $#!+ because i let my 6 yo nephew shoot a couple of my guns. or my yankee Marines being SUPER hostile to dogging deer. or being hostile to right to work state's antiunion attitudes.