Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 AM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08 View Post
As far as social issues go, I actually think that in this election, social issues are the least of our worries. Right now I am much more concerned about the financial state our country is in, than I am about all the social issues.
Honestly, I'm the opposite. How much respect a leader has for human beings as... human beings matters to all of their other policies, financial and otherwise. Financial policies aren't created in a vacuum, and because economics relies so heavily on human behavior, how a candidate sees our relative value as whatever humans we are - middle class, married or not, children or not, gay or straight - can't help but inform their economic views. IMO.

For example, I can't believe that a group of people who make such minimalizing and infantalizing comments about rape and pregnancy are going to take my concerns about something like equal pay for equal work seriously. And I'd gladly take a personal financial hit to further certain causes.


ETA: Two rejected amendments in Minnesota. And Bachmann barely squeaks out a win but a recount will be likely.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 AM
JoLeigh's Avatar
JoLeigh JoLeigh is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post

That's all I'm gonna say lol I love the POTUS and am very happy

<3 hands for everyone!

As for college.. it's so great to have a president who plans on making college more affordable instead of one who thinks the solution is "go borrow money from your parents"

and don't worry angry republicans all over my facebook who said they would move to a nation "With truly Christian values" if Obama won.. I'm waiting. I sincerely hope you do move. Go on. I've got some recommendations!
I love you for this

But My whole mood on the results are more of a meh feeling granted I haven't had my coffee .
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,494
Default

"I wish my moderate Republican friends would simply be honest. They all say they’re voting for Romney because of his economic policies (tenuous and ill-formed as they are), and that they disagree with him on gay rights. Fine. Then look me in the eye, speak with a level clear voice, and say,” My taxes and take-home pay mean more than your fundamental civil rights, the sanctity of your marriage, your right to visit an ailing spouse in the hospital, your dignity as a citizen of this country, your healthcare, your right to inherit, the mental welfare and emotional well-being of your youth, and your very personhood.” It’s like voting for George Wallace during the Civil Rights movements, and apologizing for his racism. You’re still complicit. You’re still perpetuating anti-gay legislation and cultural homophobia. You don’t get to walk away clean, because you say you “disagree” with your candidate on these issues."- Doug Wright

and that is the end of Fran in this thread or else she will get really worked up and **** will hit the fan lol

Whatever, what's done is done but I will never agree with putting human rights behind other issues or anything really. I do care about people more than the economy. People ARE the economy, we are the country and before anything else, I believe people should have the rights they deserve.
and I am in no way ashamed to say that lol
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 AM
BlackPuppy's Avatar
BlackPuppy BlackPuppy is offline
Owned by Belgians
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 674
Default

Yes, the National Debt is a scarey number, but you have to put that into perspective.

Whether you listen to Dave Ramsey or Suze Ormond, you know that you need an emergency fund. Simply, you save money during prosperous years, so you have it when times are harder. This is also the role of government. During a good economy, the government (federal, state and local) should be building up a fund, because when the economy goes down, they are going to need it. And at the top of the pyramid is the Federal government who hands out money to those in need.

However, politicians have forgotten basic economics. During and after the Great Depression, a lot of money was spent by the government to help the economy. You heard of the CCC, WPA, right? Hoover Dam was paid for by the Federal government and was a job creator and economic boost to that portion of the nation. Anyway, National Debt skyrocketed up to 120% of the Gross Domestic Product at that time. Over time, the economy improved and steadily declined through every administration up to and including Carter when it was down to 30%.

Then enter Reagan and Bush1, who doubled the debt to 60%. Clinton brought it down a little but then Bush2 came along and increased it to nearly 80%. When this serious "recession" hit, there was no reserve, and spending was necessary to avoid a total collapse. Today the debt is now at 100% of GDP.

I'm not going to say what would have happened if the Reagan, Bush1, and Bush2 had been fiscally responsible presidents. I think that is evident. But to blame the current president for the current economic situation is not fair.

Our debt is not as bad as it was in 1940, it will get better. But, I'm skeptical when Republicans say they are going to bring down debt because that is not how they have acted in the past. Maybe I should say "recent past".

(I voted for Reagan.)
__________________
http://clgoetz.8m.com/dogs/
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM
crazedACD crazedACD is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,886
Default

The comments on FB are pretty disheartening . ".you are the individuals who hasd and still have no clue what or who or why you voted and you obviously voted wrong..." That's just...ick.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I actually know of 3 gay people who voted for Romney. They'd rather country get back on its feet financially and then worry more about gay rights.

Either way, I voted FOR gay marriage and am glad it passed in MD (as far as I heard? I just woke up).
Everyone has their priorities. I don't know that strengthening the middle class will solve our issues, I think people have a valid fear after watching Greece. That said, I have NO faith in trickle down economics. There is always someone on the line who wants a McDuck pool to swim in instead of using said money to further the economy. We can't trust that theory, we need to rethink our methods, Romney wasn't willing to entertain that ideal and because of that and the fact he believed he had the right to decide what we could or could not do with Our civil rights, Obama became the clear choice for me.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 AM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
The comments on FB are pretty disheartening . ".you are the individuals who hasd and still have no clue what or who or why you voted and you obviously voted wrong..." That's just...ick.
I love the extreme ignorance of moving to Canada, that is what you extremists are trying to avoid, looks like a nice place to be though, huh?

Try Mexico, super rich and super poor, cartels who tell the government what they can and cannot police and beheadings and (legitimate) rapes on the regular with no judicial outcomes. Yup, move there.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I keep reading this thread title as "Erection Results".

That's all.
It could easily say that, because in the end, both "results" mean someone feels like they are getting ****ed
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,494
Default

I love the 'I'm moving to Australia!"
you mean the place with universal health care.. no death penalty.. no guns.. pro-choice.. where evolution is taught at all schools and the Atheist female unmarried prime minister?

Lol umm..go ahead.
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,086
Default

I do put social issues ahead of economics BUT Romney's plan was not feasible and no better (IMO worse) economically
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site