Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Just try me..

LOL I would, she is tiny and awesome.. but I need to do more with her mom. If I wanted to keep her I would have to rehome Seren and that would just be wrong.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 PM
& the Muttly Crew

So...I gotta ask...why did you then decide to breed two dogs when neither had been health tested beyond CERF? DNA...hips...anything else?

I'm not suggesting you are trying to hide anything from a potential buyer...I'm just really wondering why the decision to breed them and breed them now was made?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Just try me..

I didnt' decide now. It hasn't been a secret (I know its been discussed at least in chat lol) this was an oops, not in choice of dogs but in timing. If it had been a bad choice I would have spay aborted.

As for the health testing...JRTs aren't done for hips. Hips aren't an issue. Dekka didn't have hips done either. Now knees can be an issue. I had one that almost wasn't registerable because her one patella had a bit of movement (in order to register you needed a full work up) I never ended up breeding her anyway.

Eye issues are a big one, so that is what most people do. BAER is also common. There is now a genetic test for eye issues, as Mandy pointed out. Though if your dog comes from clear parents you don't need to test for that. But I think CERFing is still a good idea because not all issues are the same root cause.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM
& the Muttly Crew

But DNA testing? BAER if that's common, as you said? I mean even if this is an oops litter, Kaiden's been bred before, right? So he was never DNA'd or anything else except CERF?

I haven't been around tremendously long and I think I came along after previous breedings. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Just try me..

The last time Kaiden was bred was pre those genetic tests being available. So he wasn't done. The plan was to get him done because of course we have no idea what his parents had.

Back then all we had was CERF (oh my that makes me sound old)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
But DNA testing? BAER if that's common, as you said? I mean even if this is an oops litter, Kaiden's been bred before, right? So he was never DNA'd or anything else except CERF?

I haven't been around tremendously long and I think I came along after previous breedings. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.
This is from a previous thread of hers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
This is mainly a 'test' breeding. This cross is the closest I will be able to to do to get "Kat back" As Kaiden is Dekka's sire and Seren is Kat's half sister. I am curious as to how close I will get to my 'ideal' JRT (Kat was in many many ways my ideal of what a JRT should be)
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Just try me..

It was a test breeding, just not at the time of my intent. I had planned this breeding, thus had told people it was happening. Just not now.

Either way, if this upsets people I can stop talking about this litter. Other than the people (who were very aware it was an oops, and all) who had to back out being frustrating its not a big deal.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Dekka, I know all your puppies have so far been very healthy and have more than proven themselves in sports and the field. JRTs, except for eye issues, don't really often get much testing done. Most of their health issues come from being horridly overweight rather than genetics.

WANT. I have the want. Someone on Chaz please take her so we can have 5000872877 pictures.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Felurian

Sounds to me like maybe she's supposed to stay

But if she weren't, Coop would be an awesome home, and Quest would be a perfect geocaching partner

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Just try me..

Nooo cannot stay! As cute as she is. Yes Milo JRTs tend to be hardy. Eye issues and luxating patella's seem to be the biggies.

I don't mind answering questions as I have never hid things. I get how people might think this in a way, I haven't been on chaz much so I am not putting every dog thought I have on here these days the way I used too. But new job, (and well working pretty much all through sept without a day off between 2 jobs) the puppies and life.. doesn't leave me enough time to chaz it up.

If you all want to be really horrified. Seren isn't registered yet (in part because I was waiting on paperwork, which is why she didn't go to nats this year)

.... but in the JRT world that isn't a super big deal. Now I will be registering her (which is quite the process compared to CKC/AKC registration) but Kaiden's mom was never registered. He is fully registered (jrts are only registered for breeding, others are recorded) It just costs a little more.

For the record though, if people want to know WHY I wanted this cross, other than its as close to producing Kat (whom I think was the epitome of JRTness)

Kaiden is now 9 and is very healthy with no issues. He can still jump an agility course at 24 inches. He has a stellar temperament, and gets along well with people and dogs. Kaiden has his CD and is one leg away from his CDX (and has been for ages because its been 5 years or so since I last entered an obed competition) I don't enter him in agility much (money only goes so far) but he is an excellent masters snooker and masters agility dog. Darien has handled him in JRT trials (so obed, agility, confo, and go to ground) since he was little.. winning the child handler of the year more than once. Darien also handled Kaiden in AAC and dock dogs when Darien was 6 and 7. Kaiden is very confident and relaxed.

In short we have an older healthy dog who has done well in dog sports and has an amazing personality.

Kaiden has only had two litters previous to this one. We all I know I don't breed often I also don't believe breeding the same stud constantly either.

His first litter was the one that produced Dekka (and we all know how amazing she is) It also produced Snip, who is an awesome stable dog. Winner of many reserve and grand champs in racing. Has done very well in super earth and go to ground and is a super happy dog. He loves people and with his new owner (a good friend) he still does the 'booth' dog thing for the rescue and breed club. Oh and he has been proven to work in the field.

Then we have Trix. Trix is an excellent flyball dog. I don't know about flyball that much, but I know she does well at it. Not crazy well as she is pretty small, but can single stride down the line. She is doing well at agility. She has qualified (I can't remember if they went) for the AAC nats.

The rest of the puppies went to pet homes and are much loved.

His other litter was out Riley. If anyone remembers Cargo whom I got back... ya wow dog. He is off doing film work. What a stable dog! He had been locked in a room most his life before I got him back.

Ok so now on to Seren.

Seren's pedigree is full of working dogs who are also top confo dogs. Both her parents are bronze medallion dogs, her sire has won at the US nats as has his sire. You have to go back to great grandparents to find dogs who don't have working certs and even then out of all of them there are only 2. So she has a pretty exciting working and confo pedigree.

So THAT is why I wanted that cross. I wanted to take some excellent sport lines and cross with exemplary working/confo lines to produce, hopefully, the best of both world.

Like Kat was.

Hopefully that clears up some things. If not if people want to ask that is ok. If it makes people upset, I am sorry.