Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

What about a whole different approach. Teach him to drop something into something else, like a spoon into a bowl or a bowl into another bowl. In Silvia Trkman's puppy class that we are taking, she recommends using metal objects just so the dog can hear the one object dropping into another. Now, some dogs obvs don't like that but it might be worth it to try. That way he'll learn that it does matter where he drops the object and it would make it easier to teach him to drop into your hand later.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

I separated the cue, "give" (that means in my hand) from "drop it" (which means where ever you are, just drop it out of your mouth on the ground) I'd volley back and forth between the two. For giving it to my hand, I'd put my hand right under the dog's chin. Only reinforce the correct responses to the cues. Switching from one to the other helps drive home the point. It would be better to have the dog hold onto it until you have your hand on it, then say your cue. Mine is a little sloppy in that the dog is dropping it, but into my opened hand. Jose`is good at it though. Chulita hasn't been taught that. But Jose` is my super retriever. LOL.

Oh...I forgot. I used treats to trade at first, to get him to drop it.... then used them as reinforcers after the fact. Fade them as lures asap.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Sit! Good dog.

We will be teaching this. So far we're just building a really solid "touch". Hand target. Our trainer has said cupping your hand helps, and when they move to stick their nose on, move your hand back slowly.

You want to build a really solid, long touch.

We're shaping the retrieve separately, then going to combine the two, retrieve to touch. To start the retrieve we're just playing with a toy and clicking for putting his mouth on it, building till he holds it etc.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Gipsy only became 80-90% when she was around 10. Before that, I am convinced if she didn't look like a labrador retriever - you wouldn't have know. She'd "retriev" - but she'd think it was a great game to run away with the toy.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.