Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

I'm the picky eater in my family as well. Some of it is just plain my preferences; I also have food sensitivities that I've never gotten a good diagnosis on, and as a result I'm just not adventurous with food.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

Can't offer anything but sympathy!

It's hard to be understanding when it's SO frustrating!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Ugh yes I know what you mean. Not in this house but when I lived with my dad. He is the reason I didn't "know" how to cook anything but a very few plain dishes.

spaghetti (sauce from a jar)

Plain chicken breast (and he got the cheapest kind he could and the texture of it was NASTY)

Hamburger gravy which consisted of ground beef and then add gravy to it, peas (from a can) and mashed potatoes

sausages, hamburgers, baloney sandwiches

and my PTA casserole (a pasta, hamburger casserole)

that about summed it up.

I hated cooking. it was so BORING and tasteless

Now though, none of us are overly picky. when Hannah was younger she didn't like much and I really didn't mind making her something else for dinner since Brian got home late (too late for her to be just having dinner). for a while she would only eat sandwiches lol. All kinds of sandwiches but had to be sandwiches. then she wouldn't eat anything with a skin (beans, corn, peas, etc) Now though she eats just about anything I cook. There are certain things I make that I know she doesn't like and I make it knowing she doesn't like it so I usually have some leftovers in the fridge ready to go for her on those nights lol. I don't FORCE her to eat things I know she genuinely doesn't like though... I am pretty sure that's how my dad turned out the way he did with food. He had to eat everything on his plate as a kid even if he really didn't like it... so now he doesn't like anything and I don't want to do that to Hannah lol. one of her favorite meals is chicken pot pie with all the veggies.

When my dad comes I have to be careful about my meal planning or he'll just not eat anything lol. but he will eat my roast chicken meals, homemade chicken noodle soup, baked chicken and PTA casserole so when he's coming I just try to plan the meals that are still good but I know he will eat. He really has a thing against frozen veggies they have to come from a can. I buy him a few cans for himself and we still eat our frozen veg

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

I guess my question is...why do they have to change? Can't you just buy/cook your own meals? Or do you have to cook for them too?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

I'm kind of a picky eater, but I'm not afraid to try things..I just know what I like and what I don't. My mom is really bad, and so is my brother (he has food allergies though). I don't like seafood at all (except fried calamari??), and I eat pretty basic things.

I've been going on business trips with my boss and I'm almost embarrassed when we go out to eat at fancy restaurants.. I have NO idea what I'm ordering. I'm just not that into food, I wasn't raised like that.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Taxiderpy

Can you cook something like plain rice that they're welcome to, and then make little jazzed up versions for yourself?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm All Ears

I do not understand picky eaters. Pretty much if it's not a raw tomato or an olive, I'll eat it.

As a kid we were always told tough luck and none of us are picky at all.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

I don't have to cook for them, I said that in my first post.

It's just way more convenient to cook meals that more people can eat, plus...I just like to cook for people. I have no motivation to actually cook for myself, but if other people will eat I'll cook all the time.

Plus, it's kind of a pain in the ass to buy ingredients and make one meal out of it. Yeah, I can come up with stuff that's easy to freeze, whatever...but it does really kind of limit what I can make. Even buying spices and stuff to use...if I use them for one meal that only I eat, they end up going bad.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Can you cook something like plain rice that they're welcome to, and then make little jazzed up versions for yourself?
you are assuming they eat rice.
they do not.

They also do not eat pasta unless it is spaghetti.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Kotah BEAR

I am not a picky eater.

Things I will not eat:
- mushrooms
- olives
- sushi
- cherries (or anything that contains them; pies, cobblers, etc)
- pineapples (makes me sick everytime I eat them)
- avocado
- oysters
- sardines
- walnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts
- red velvet cake

That's it. The worst out of that list would have to be olives. I can't even stand the smell of them, makes me nauseous.

Everything else is fair came.
Any kind of mexican, italian, chinese, japanese, and any other foreign food I will eat like there is no tomorrow. Anything spicy, tangy, or SUPER hot, is also fair game.