Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

Without reading the whole thread:

Three years olds can ABSOLUTELY have experiences they will remember for the rest of their lives. I remember a number of things that happened when I was 3.

12 is not old enough to babysit in a lot of states with legal restrictions on babysitters. I think in most states there either is no law, or the law is 13...but most states just leave it up to the parents, saying to use your judgement about how mature and responsible the child is.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yeah here they have a babysitting course that they can take at 12 years old and be certified.

The girl we have is wonderful. She goes to our church, she helps teach the kids sunday school group and Hannah adores her. She is great with Hannah and Inhave no issue with trusting her to take care of Hannah when we need to be somewhere.

Yoko, when I said "is it pOssible he got out of her grasp" I meant the kid who was hit by the car.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Big Dog

I remember things that happened when I was three, actually that is usually when kids start remembering stuff, maybe not everyday stuff, but things that impacted them or surprised them.. You might not remember all the details, but you can certainly remember the overall picture.

I don't know... I think this was a mistake, I'm not gonna blame the mom, I don't believe she wanted to kill her child. I see millions of parents holding their children while they sit on the barrier/railing, not only at the zoo, but Disney World, theme parks... malls, etc, heck, I even have pictures of me when I was a child seating on the railing... And I'm pretty sure my mom didn't want to kill me.

I read the comments on that website and people are blaming the parents for not going in to save their child, however, some people don't react like that when they are in shock, some people just freeze and are unable to think properly. I know this because that is how I've have reacted to shocking situations in my past... And then after I clear my mind I think of a million things I could've done to prevent whatever the situation was.

Yeah... This was a fatal mistake, but in my opinion, it was JUST a mistake, not an intentional murder. I hope this family finds peace and finds a way to cope with their horrible loss, I'm not a mom, but I'm sure the worst thing that can happen to a mom is to lose her children

--------
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Top Dog

There is absolutely no way to know if it was intentional or not...if she actually popped her 3 year old on a ledge over a 14 foot drop and then just let him chill up there I'd be REALLY skeptical if someone's judgement could be THAT bad...but whether he slipped out of her grasp, she took her hand off him for a second, got distracted, whatever...I honestly feel like there's a 50-50 chance it was intentional or not.

That said...I also was REALLY surprised she didn't go after him. My only thought was that maybe onlookers restrained her? Shock is a consideration...but I think the normal natural reaction of any parent who's kid is in a situation where they are endangered is to get between the kid and the danger.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
There is absolutely no way to know if it was intentional or not...if she actually popped her 3 year old on a ledge over a 14 foot drop and then just let him chill up there I'd be REALLY skeptical if someone's judgement could be THAT bad...but whether he slipped out of her grasp, she took her hand off him for a second, got distracted, whatever...I honestly feel like there's a 50-50 chance it was intentional or not.

That said...I also was REALLY surprised she didn't go after him. My only thought was that maybe onlookers restrained her? Shock is a consideration...but I think the normal natural reaction of any parent who's kid is in a situation where they are endangered is to get between the kid and the danger.
I read several articles and one said that she was holding him out over the railing , dangling him over so that he could see better and she lost her grip on him. I'm with you......I would have launched myself right in there without a second thought. Of course, I wouldn't dangle my child over wild animals either.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 PM
The Littlest Hound

So sad I've been to that exhibit... the signs not to climb on the rail are pretty clear... what a horrible tragedy, I can't even imagine I really can't believe no one ran in there kicking & with shovels rather than darting those dogs...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Top Dog

Having another child with her or not, I cannot imagine not going in after my child. Nevermind that I would never prop him up on a railing in the first place. I would not be able to live with myself if something I did caused my child to lose their life. Particularly if I just stood there watching.

ETA, also, this is probably the most horrific statement ever :

Quote:
She says the animals attacked the child so quickly that by the time a veterinarian and other zoo staffers arrived seconds later, they determined it would have been futile to try to rescue the child.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
Having another child with her or not, I cannot imagine not going in after my child. Nevermind that I would never prop him up on a railing in the first place. I would not be able to live with myself if something I did caused my child to lose their life. Particularly if I just stood there watching.

ETA, also, this is probably the most horrific statement ever :
That quote makes me ill. Until you've got your fingers on their pulse and have determined that they've stopped breathing and their heart is no longer beating, there's always a chance. Children are especially resilient in regards to oxygen loss to the brain.

And this is why Point Defiance Zoo has a staff of trained marksmen on duty, 24/7.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
That quote makes me ill. Until you've got your fingers on their pulse and have determined that they've stopped breathing and their heart is no longer beating, there's always a chance. Children are especially resilient in regards to oxygen loss to the brain.
Well I'm guessing there are probably some details about the nature of the injuries that went into that decision that are being left out... and honestly I'm glad they are.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THis is a tragic story. My heart goes out for the family, and for the zoo staff as well.

WHile I did my time at the KC Zoo, I saw more irresponsible behavior by the public than you would ever believe. Parents holding their children by the feet to reach feathers and quill. Spitting at the alligator, trying to throw coins or stones at the animals. You were out there to keep an eye on them as well. It was awful what some tried to do, and what they said as well.

I was three when President Kennedy was assassinated, and I definitely remember my family around the tv and everyone talking and horrified about it. My Mother says there is no way I could remember it, but I do, clearly in detail, the tv, everyone gasping in horror and where they were in the room, and the black and white image on the screen.

I agree too that 12 is not old enough to babysit, be a helper yes, but not completely in charge of babies and toddlers.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,