Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm All Ears

This whole thing is just so sad. My heart breaks for that poor little baby.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I dont think its a get out of jail free card. My point was we DONT know what actually happened. But no, I still dont think jail is actually going to serve a purpose here.
We don't know exactly what happened, no. But this was a mistake that cost someone their life. People make mistakes all the time, and sometimes other people end up dead. When that happens they generally get charged and held responsible for their deaths. If this had been a babysitter or anyone else, they'd be getting charged with manslaughter or something. But because it's the mom, it's okay??? I feel sad for her, but sheesh. You dangle your kid over a HUGE drop that could have easily killed him just by itself, and it's full of wild carnivorous animals!?! Really?!? And then there's signs all over that place saying NOT to? This is the reason WHY there are child endangerment laws.

Life isn't 100% safe and you can't live in a bubble, so there are tragic accidents. But then there are Stupid Preventable Deaths.

A parent sending their kid out rafting while wearing a life jacket, but gets hypothermia and dies when raft overturns = tragic accident.

A parent sending their kid out rafting with NO life jacket and kid drowns when it overturns = Stupid Preventable Death

A parent buckles their baby in a rear facing car seat but gets in an accident and the baby doesn't make it = tragic accident.

A parent buckles their baby in the front seat with an airbag, or drives under the influence/texts while driving and causes the accident = Stupid Preventable Death.

People should be charged with child endangerment at the very least if it's a Stupid Preventable Death.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

I am not saying dont charge, I just dont know if I am ok with jail time.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

I feel horrible for that poor boy. And yes I hold his mom responsible. Intentional or not, she made a stupid mistake that cost her son his life. If he wanted to see. Why didn't she pick him up and HOLD HIM? Those signs "do not climb", "stand on railings" or "reach through the bars" at zoos are there for a reason. For the publics safety.
I fear they are going to put the blame on the zoo. And soon because of instances like this the zoos are going to up their security measures so no one gets even remotely close to seeing animals.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I'm not sure charging her is necessarily the right thing to do though. She lost her son because she made an insanely stupid mistake... charge her with negligence but to what end?
Because her negligence resulted in the death of a child?

What about other kinds of negligence? A mom who falls asleep with a cigarette in her mouth and the house burns down, killing the children? It wasn't on purpose... Someone who sends their three year old out unsupervised in the yard with three large dogs. They have a history of getting along, but the child ends up dead. Negligence?

It's about holding people accountable for the decisions they make when those decisions result in someone's death. Especially when their choices are violating a law, well known common sense safety protocol, or posted regulations on private property.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
This is a horrible tragedy. People make mistakes.. parents makes mistakes. How many times did I climb trees I certainly shouldn't have? Played by oceans and rivers? rode my bike down roads? These are all mistakes my parents made by allowing me to do and could have ended in tragedy.

I think rubbing salt in an already open wound is a little much. I wouldn't want to see anyone bear the loss of losing a child. And to know that loss was your fault and that the child suffered.. I can't even imagine the pain.

I normally never quote the bible of all things, but doesn't it go something like "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

.. I've done irresponsible things that could have gotten the children I love injured and killed. ... I've let kids play at the park whilst half paying attention, I let kids go to the pool and went inside to cook or go to the bathroom, I took them to the movies and didn't put them in car seats..
I starting babysitting my younger family members at a young age but I KNEW BETTER. They were my responsibility and I love them and can't imagine how I would feel if something had happened.

I am all for punishing negligence and abuse...and if this was an issue of either I would agree. but from what it sounds like, this was a horrible mistake.

My heart goes out to the entire family..and even the mother. Is she irresponsible? Yes.. but nobody could hate her more than she probably hates herself right now.
THIS. so much. Especially coming from a family where my little brother died due to drowning at a public pool. It was extremely difficult to read all the idiots spouting off on local forums and news comments about how the parents were at fault, and this and that and the other, without knowing ANYTHING about the situation besides a small report of what happened. My mom lives in pain EVERY day of her life since the loss of her child. None of us will EVER be the same and it's a horrible horrible tragic thing I do not wish upon anyone. I cannot stand when people are so quick to throw out the parent blame. Sorry, it's not always black/white.

Such a tragic story.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
In a video I saw, a witness said she she put him up there and let him balance on his own.
I've read that as well. With or without the animals in the equation, such a terrible idea. A fall alone is dangerous and almost inevitable, and then add the fact that it's over a zoo exhibit. *shudder*

Having said that, if that's how it really happened I doubt it was malicious. People do dumb things all the time simply because most of the time they get away with the dumb thing without consequences... until they don't.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

I totally blame the parents on this one. Nobody lets a toddler balance above a 14 foot drop, whether there are dangerous animals underneath or not. Poor baby.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

Reading the rest of the thread, if she truly was letting him stand there just ... by himself, then, yeah, that was stupid. But I'd just like to get all the facts first without judging.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Big Dog

There are safety devices (rails, fencing) for a reason. No one should be standing/sitting on them and if you do sit or stand (or place your child) on them then you are blatantly disregarding the protocols put in place to keep you, your children and the animals safe. Is it the mothers fault? Yes. Did she mean to do it? Who the heck knows but she's going to have to live with that for the rest of her life and that child died a horrible, horrible death. Many people are going to have to deal with seeing this. Can you imagine just going to the zoo to look at critters and seeing this happen? Plus, they had to kill one of the dogs that they couldn't call off so it was tragic all around.

I wish people would pay more attention to the rules, they are generally there for a reason. My heart goes out to everyone involved.