Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I didn't read all the responses... but is it sure the mauling is what killed him? 14 feet is a HUGE drop for a toddler that could have easily killed him.

Not that it excuses anything. Just curious, I guess.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
12 years old obviously wasn't old enough to realize that she needed to hold her brother's hand so he wouldn't run into the street.

I think having a babysitter who is 13 is your choice. But if anything happens and she/he reacts like a child, since they still are, the situation may not be handled as well as it should be.
???? So ni chance the kid just escaped her grasp? That happens all the time... Even to adults. Kids are squirmy and their hands are small. Sometimes they get away no matter how hard you try to hold on

I was babysitting when I was 10. Lol

You can have adults babysitting and if something hapoens it doesn't mean it will be handled as well as it "should have". Emergency situations have a way
Of throwing people off their "normal" game

But it is nice to know that if aonething tragic ever does happen i will be painted as an inept stupid parent who should be sterilized

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I didn't read all the responses... but is it sure the mauling is what killed him? 14 feet is a HUGE drop for a toddler that could have easily killed him.

Yes, the story I read included the dogs going at him and him screaming
Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:

Yeah I wondered the same thing. I figured the fall probably killed him first

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

& the Muttly Crew

Quote:

No the video on the link said one of the things the coroner will try to determine is if the child died from the fall or the animals.

Apparently they even have a sort of catch basin under the railing to keep objects from falling into the pen but the child either flipped over or out of it while falling and it didn't stop him

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
There is no possible explanation in my mind for letting go of a tiny child to balance on his own over something that horrifically dangerous. This may not be a very popular response, but no one can be that stupid. I have a sick feeling about the intentions of the mother. You hear stories of mothers going off the deep end and killing their children. There have been some notorious stories on the news. This thought that it may have been intentional flitted across my mind. Of course, no one can know what was in her mind. It certainly isn't fair to make a rash judgement this early on. But the thought did occur to me.
Actually, both my mother and I thought that as well. There were drawn signs telling one not to stand on the railing. There were written warnings. All of those were right there where they were standing. And then this woman not just hoists her child up to stand on a wooden pole railing, but then lets go of him? Something just doesn't sit well in my gut with the whole thing.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

Why would you allow your 3-year-old to stand over an open viewpoint? I hope zoos don't start placing more restrictions on viewing animals because of the stupidity of some people.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
This is so horrible and heartbreaking for the child especially. It makes me want to cry just picturing how it ended for him. If I was there I'd have jumped in and tried to save him. 14 feet isn't that far for an adult. I can't understand why nobody did that. Why the zoo workers just fired darts instead of running in screaming and waving their arms and kicking at the dogs. Anything to stop what was happening. He might not be dead if someone had.
I agree with you as well. That was the first thing I told my mom - I would've immediately jumped in after him. I can't imagine I would've even thought before I did so, as it's just my instincts to protect my child. I'd rather die fighting for my child than live knowing I just stood there and watched and did nothing.

With that said, shock can literally paralyze people ("freeze" them), so I can't exactly jump on her for that.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

If it is honestly negligence, and she did hoist her kid up there and let him go... then I have no words.
Turning your back and having a kid who doesn't know any better climb up and fall is one thing.

but to pick a kid up and let a three year old balance himself on the side of an exhibit full of wild dogs?
I can't even bear to think of a world where a mother would do that to her child.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I agree with you as well. That was the first thing I told my mom - I would've immediately jumped in after him. I can't imagine I would've even thought before I did so, as it's just my instincts to protect my child. I'd rather die fighting for my child than live knowing I just stood there and watched and did nothing.

With that said, shock can literally paralyze people ("freeze" them), so I can't exactly jump on her for that.
I agree in fear freezing and if I am remembering correctly she has another younger child with her as well.