Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
Yes it's definitely not the animals' fault.

It does make you wonder though why we keep doing that to wild animals (except endangered species I guess).
They're pretty endangered, but for some reason aren't listed under Cites I (unless that changed recently). It would probably be best for everyone if they were moved to another facility though. While people are generally pretty mature, it would be hard and in poor taste to keep that exhibit open in the community where such a horrible tragedy occurred.

The animals would be safer from retribution that way too.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
They're pretty endangered, but for some reason aren't listed under Cites I (unless that changed recently). It would probably be best for everyone if they were moved to another facility though. While people are generally pretty mature, it would be hard and in poor taste to keep that exhibit open in the community where such a horrible tragedy occurred.

The animals would be safer from retribution that way too.
I think moving them is a good idea. But I'd still be paranoid someone would try something at the new place.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

Do people really blame the dogs? I just can't understand the thinking that someone would try and hurt them? Its not like they got loose (this time) and attacked.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Do people really blame the dogs? I just can't understand the thinking that someone would try and hurt them? Its not like they got loose (this time) and attacked.
Yes, people are saying "if a dog on the street bites a kid it gets PTS, why aren't these dogs?"
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Yes, people are saying "if a dog on the street bites a kid it gets PTS, why aren't these dogs?"
OMG! People are stupid. First this mother, now the rest of the population? WFT? How can they compare a domestic dog to a wild dog? OMGOMGOMG!!! God help us all that we live in a world with this many stupid freakin' morons!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
wow

Yeah, people really are clueless
Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Glutton for Crazy

My reaction when I heard this was "are you effing serious right now??" Then depressing defeat. Le sigh.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
OMG! People are stupid. First this mother, now the rest of the population? WFT? How can they compare a domestic dog to a wild dog? OMGOMGOMG!!! God help us all that we live in a world with this many stupid freakin' morons!
I saw a couple where they thought they should have been shot then and there regardless of the fact that all but one stopped when they were called.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
I guess the zoo is now closed indefinitely, any leads on why happens to the dogs?

An article I read said back in May they escaped their enclosure and the visitors were made to hide in a building until the keepers could catch and return all 8 dogs to the enclosure?

(This is not in reference to the zoo having any fault in the child's death, I'm just curious what happens now to the dogs.)
To clarify, it's my understanding that they got loose into some kind of backup holding enclosure, they weren't roaming loose in the zoo or anywhere that the general public had access to.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Taxiderpy

They're not even in the same genus as wolves, so technically they're not even "dogs". They're more closely related to wolves than foxes are, but still, just no. They can't even hybridize. They're just a wild canine like a fox or hyena. Saying they should be shot for this is like saying a bear that mauls a tourist for climbing into the enclosure should be shot.

It would do a lot of good for the species as a whole if people stopped calling them "dogs". It's led to a lot of misconceptions that have led to their extermination in the wild, including the misconception that they aren't native, and that they're just descended from feral domestic dogs when they are not.