Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

Default Hospital Bag..

I really need to pack one but i'm struggling as to what to pack...

I don't have/use a house coat,slippers or nightgown..lol
I can't pack any of my toiletries as i'm still using them..lol (toothbrush)

So what things did you guys pack in your hospital bag that you REALLY needed....

Underwear,pads,nursing bra????

Also, did you pack 2 outfits for baby or just one? and what else did you pack that you wish you did for baby??

Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM
My dog tickles my soul

We packed 2-3 outfits for Justin to come home in, mainly because we didn't know what size he would fit. (As it was, he barely fit into the 3mos outfit we ultimately chose. LOL)

I would consider purchasing some slippers, or at least some really comfy socks. Maybe even buy a new toothbrush and a travel size toothpaste just to stick in there. That way you already have it without having to worry about remembering your regular toiletries.

I wouldn't worry too much about the nightgown/robe, because they will have something similar at the hospital. I honestly preferred the robe they had to the one I brought.

Don't forget that you will want clothes wear coming home from the hospital, too. Again, I packed two, one maternity outfit and one comfy-sized "regular" outfit, because I didn't know which I would fit in at that point.

Another thing we did is packed a few simple games. Things like a sudoku book, and a few card games. We actually did use these things during some of the wait time. lol

Hope that helps!

ETA: Nursing bra, definitely. You may or may not need it/want it right away, but definitely worth having handy. Underwear, yes (to go along with the homecoming clothes). Pads, maybe. The hospital will likely provide those for you after delivery. (They'll also probably supply some cotton granny panties, too. lol)
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I pcked all kinds of stuff and then didn't use any of it lol

I would get some small travel sized toiletries to pack rather than packing big full sized bottles.

I packed pads and underwear and a set of clean maternity clothes to wear home.

I packed a few onesies for Hannah although she never wore any of them. Blankets were provided by the hospital

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
We packed 2-3 outfits for Justin to come home in, mainly because we didn't know what size he would fit. (As it was, he barely fit into the 3mos outfit we ultimately chose. LOL)

I would consider purchasing some slippers, or at least some really comfy socks. Maybe even buy a new toothbrush and a travel size toothpaste just to stick in there. That way you already have it without having to worry about remembering your regular toiletries.

I wouldn't worry too much about the nightgown/robe, because they will have something similar at the hospital. I honestly preferred the robe they had to the one I brought.

Don't forget that you will want clothes wear coming home from the hospital, too. Again, I packed two, one maternity outfit and one comfy-sized "regular" outfit, because I didn't know which I would fit in at that point.

Another thing we did is packed a few simple games. Things like a sudoku book, and a few card games. We actually did use these things during some of the wait time. lol

Hope that helps!

ETA: Nursing bra, definitely. You may or may not need it/want it right away, but definitely worth having handy. Underwear, yes (to go along with the homecoming clothes). Pads, maybe. The hospital will likely provide those for you after delivery. (They'll also probably supply some cotton granny panties, too. lol)
Keep in mind the pads you will be using are diaper sized! A camera!!! Your laptop/tablet. FOOD!!!! Your pillow/blanket. We brought a PICTURE outfit for Morgan/Bev and a PICTURE blanket. Savannah had all the NICU stuff since we didnt plan on her being that size. THE CAR SEAT!!!! Not for the coming home bag but make sure you have it LOL.

A special toy if you want pictures with it.

A hat/socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I pcked all kinds of stuff and then didn't use any of it lol

I would get some small travel sized toiletries to pack rather than packing big full sized bottles.

I packed pads and underwear and a set of clean maternity clothes to wear home.

I packed a few onesies for Hannah although she never wore any of them. Blankets were provided by the hospital
The hospital provided them IN the hospital when Savannah was born but once you were discharged it was up to you.

I just wore their gowns I DID buy a labor gown that I planned to use for Savannah but it was in storage and it was going to get pulled out after the appt but she came during that time.

Honestly though this may be TMI but I was completely naked when I had Savannah IF you have members that will be present that you are concerned about that I would pack a sports bra and wear it. I got so freaking HOT in the gown I just yanked it off without a second thought .

CLOTHES for DAD!!!!!!!!! and snacks and what not for dad.

ETA:
As far as nursing bras I would pack one to go home at least but for me I NEVER wore them in the hospital it was just one more thing. If you are WELL endowed you might want more Im a C when I nurse LOL.

Also a HAIRTIE!! I forgot one with Bev and NEVER again. That rats nest was KILLER

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

I would definitely want some slippers, even just a pair of slipper socks, something for your feet for walking in the hospital.

I did bring a few things for baby to wear. If you have a little shirt those work well if you just want them to be in something a little cuter than the plain white the hospital puts on them. If you plan to have them take pictures at the hospital, anything you want them to wear/have in those pictures. A pacifier if you want baby to have a pacifier and you already have a certain brand. In the hospital you will use their blankets, but you will want one for coming home.

Snacks - mostly for your husband. Sometimes it is nice to have something handy for him to snack on. So he doesn't have to go out to grab something every time he gets hungry.

my other suggestions really only are in case you have a c-section and I know some people are absolutely against preparing for it because they do not want one, but to be prepared for that, I would definitely want a pair of loose fitting pjs because by day 2 or 3 in the hospital, you will be tired of wearing the hospital gown. Also be sure that the clothes you bring to go home don't have a low waist band. I always wore the maternity pants with the band going under my belly, and it was too low that it hit my incision, so I could not wear them home, and had to wear my pj's home after my first c-section. Same with undies, if you were to end up with a c/s you would want them to have a higher waist so they won't rub the incision.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post

The hospital provided them IN the hospital when Savannah was born but once you were discharged it was up to you.

I just wore their gowns I DID buy a labor gown that I planned to use for Savannah but it was in storage and it was going to get pulled out after the appt but she came during that time.

Honestly though this may be TMI but I was completely naked when I had Savannah IF you have members that will be present that you are concerned about that I would pack a sports bra and wear it. I got so freaking HOT in the gown I just yanked it off without a second thought .

CLOTHES for DAD!!!!!!!!! and snacks and what not for dad.
Our hospital sent the blankets home with us. We got to keep them and now they are all tucked away in my little keepsake area LOL.

I also wore their gowns and for the first day or two I just wore the fishnet underwear they gave me to use LOL. My MIL got accquainted with me in a way she probably never expected as I walked around the room with my gown undone and fishnet underwear on lol. I bought a robe but never used it.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Our hospital sent the blankets home with us. We got to keep them and now they are all tucked away in my little keepsake area LOL.

I also wore their gowns and for the first day or two I just wore the fishnet underwear they gave me to use LOL. My MIL got accquainted with me in a way she probably never expected as I walked around the room with my gown undone and fishnet underwear on lol. I bought a robe but never used it.
my stepmom was in the l/d room so she saw me rip off the gown when I was pushing LMAO.

Ive NEVER had blankets sent home so I would err on the side of caution.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Taxiderpy

Knee high socks! Lots of them. The hospital socks are little ankle socks.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

OH... if it matters at all to you. Towels. Brian brought me some towels from home after the first day. the hospital towels are so small and don't absorb anything LOL so after a shower I would have to use a whole bunch of them and it was a pain. So hubby brought me a few of our big fluffy towels from home definitely not a nessecity but it was a nice home comfort to have.

G.K. Chesterton

Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

Thanks so much guys!! Very helpful!! Now I can start packing..lol I'm going out today so i'll buy some slippers and toothbrush/paste like you guys said!

Did you guys pack your own diapers and wipes for baby??

Someone told me to pack...butt cream,and nipple cream...Do I really need to??