Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Active Pup

Question Puppy not chasing, barking, scared?

Hi all, I have a problem with my lab mix, hes mixed with a bull type of dog with short stumpy tail...

Anyway he is about 4 months old and the thing is, he doesnt even bark at strangers at the gate, when my brothers friends or my friends that he doesnt know come over he hides under the car and growls but thats about it..

Another thing is that when I put food for him and (sometimes if he doesnt finish), pigeons will come to eat it and he doesnt even chase them away. Today they were like 10cm away from him and he just sat there and looked at them eat his food and play in his water...

He does not even chase after the cats when he sees them, not even squirrels or even rats...

he is obedient and playfull but why does he not chase them, or even bark at strangers for that matter...
Old 01-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Island dweller

All dogs are different and he's just begining to develop his personality. He may never bark at strangers or chase squirrels. Or that may be something he grows into. Ya never know.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Active Pup

isnt it like a dogs natural instincts to chase small animals or somthing like that?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Island dweller

For a lot of dogs yeah. Some can't be bothered. Different breeds have different inclinations. My dog maverick lived with two house bunnies that ran lose and he was ok with them. We always supervised them of course but he learned quite quickly not to be bothered by them.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Active Pup

but I am quite worried about him as he does not even bark at any one, nor does he even bark at anything that might be dangerous...

his instincts gone haywire?

I had another dog previously that used to bark but he just sits there and watches at the other dog bark at something and wont do anything... Again the pigeons came to eat his food and he did nothing.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:29 AM
Puppy Dog

I understand you're worried, but then again this isn't a bad thing. I've had dogs that barked too much and ran at anything that moved. The fact that he's docile could be good. I mean, he's not jumping up on everyone he sees and annoying them and if he doesn't feel threatened by smaller animals then I say that's great. Just some thoughts, ya know.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Active Pup

thanx for the help so far...

yea i guess its kinda good but, i would really like him to let me know if there are any strangers around the house or if there is a snake around or something like that, I wouldnt want him to just bolt away under the car when he sees a snake or something thretening...

He should learn to defend himself, that is what im wondering will he learn this himself or would i have to train him...

My previous dog Max used to alert us whenever there was a strager at the gate he even kept a cobra from entering the house once...
Old 01-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

How much socializing does he get? How often do you get him around all kinds of new and positive experiences? He sounds like he needs some confidence building. I'd recommend doing a search for ways to build confidence in a pup. And get him exposed to lots of new people, dogs, sights, smells, enviornments etc.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:32 AM
bullie lover

I had a dog as a kid who didn't start barking until he was over a year old. Perhaps you should consider not comparing your new pup to your old dog, as they are two different individuals.

I'd also suggest getting him into puppy school so he can have his confidence built up in a safe environment - he sounds rather shy. He may never stop being shy, but the puppy class at your local dog trainer would probably boost his confidence... as well as teach him some other things as well.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 AM
RedyreRottweilers

It's a 4 month old puppy. You should be encouraging FRIENDLY SOCIAL behavior. Not worrying about his defensive drives when he is just a baby.

Get in training class, socialize, and the rest will come later IF it is in his genetic package.