Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

I hope that stuff will work for your hubby. I don't know if eczema manifests exactly the same with everyone. It only affects my hands...on my fingers. It gets dry, then swells until the skin bursts and there are cuts in it. It's more painful than a regular cut because it the tissue just swells, then pops open with tiny cracks and sometimes they bleed if it goes on too long. I've had to use a prescription cortisone ointment for years. Diprolene. It took forever to find one that worked well for me. Everyone seems to be different though. The doctor told me sometimes it's the combination or the emollient that is making a difference, not just the cortisone and that's why many Rx's didn't touch this. But lately, it's not so bad and the over the counter stuff works pretty well. Otherwise, I just use various kinds of lotions....Eucerine, Aveno, whatever. Scented things don't seem to bother me. But yeah, I saw a dermatologist for years. My poor niece has it so badly, it gets in her scalp, her legs....all over. Stress really does tend to make it flare up. It's an immune screw up, they think. I hope your hubby can get it under control.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I hope that stuff will work for your hubby. I don't know if eczema manifests exactly the same with everyone. It only affects my hands...on my fingers. It gets dry, then swells until the skin bursts and there are cuts in it. It's more painful than a regular cut because it the tissue just swells, then pops open with tiny cracks and sometimes they bleed if it goes on too long. I've had to use a prescription cortisone ointment for years. Diprolene. It took forever to find one that worked well for me. Everyone seems to be different though. The doctor told me sometimes it's the combination or the emollient that is making a difference, not just the cortisone and that's why many Rx's didn't touch this. But lately, it's not so bad and the over the counter stuff works pretty well. Otherwise, I just use various kinds of lotions....Eucerine, Aveno, whatever. Scented things don't seem to bother me. But yeah, I saw a dermatologist for years. My poor niece has it so badly, it gets in her scalp, her legs....all over. Stress really does tend to make it flare up. It's an immune screw up, they think. I hope your hubby can get it under control.
His has been tested and everything and they still have NO clue except that its weird. At one point they thought it was allergies to medication but hes off that medication now. No one can figure it out and its always in the same place.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
My hands are getting very dry again (too much hand washing). I need recommendations. I've been using an Eucerin Target generic but it stings sometimes, so I don't use it that much (I tend to have allergic reactions to beauty products). I don't want something too greasy either...

Does anyone use something that works and doesn't irritate?
Another thing dermatologists have always told me..."Don't wash dishes without gloves on." LOL. I am TERRIBLE about that. It always seems like such a hassle and I just don't want to take the time to reach down under my sink and get my gloves. I mean....it will only take a second, right? Still....a hassle. And I'm constantly washing something....off and on all day long. It's not like one session of washing dishes. I do things like that as I go along, so it's many times during the day...cleaning something, washing hands, dishes etc. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Kung Pow Fish

My skin is really finicky too, either stuff burns (I wash dogs so I get the dry cracked stuff too) or leaves a greasy film like lard and doesnt absorb. The only lotion Iv found that works is Pure & Basic wild banana and vanilla. Smells good, very light, moisturizing, and absorbs and doesnt burn or make me rash.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

I don't wash dishes LOL. But I wash my hands before I'm going to handle food (a year working in food business will do that to you), when I go to the bathroom, when I wipe the kids' butts, when I clean their potties... mostly my right hand is affected.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I have eczema and the winter time really causes it to flare up BAD. My hands turn into one big scaley dry red patch and I get eczema dry areas up my arms and on my face. There's this stuff called First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream that I absolutely LOVE and I need to get some more in fact.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
My hands are getting very dry again (too much hand washing). I need recommendations. I've been using an Eucerin Target generic but it stings sometimes, so I don't use it that much (I tend to have allergic reactions to beauty products). I don't want something too greasy either...

Does anyone use something that works and doesn't irritate?
My hands get dry and sore and crack when the weather gets cold and I have a bad reaction to most of the usual products too. You should have seen me trying to get the Bag Balm off my hands -- scrubbing it out with a brush didn't hurt as bad as the stuff was burning!

I tried this stuff and it is FREAKING AMAZING. And it doesn't even make me itch for even a second. The self warming masque really starts the process of healing off fast, too. http://www.orlybeauty.com/french_pol...n_manicure.php

Argan Oil is great, too. I use it on my face and throat. It's taken the place of everything else and after I've put it on my face I rub my hands, then rub my hands through my hair.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

I get really dry, cracked hands. I wash my hands a lot (!), and in the winter time they get cracked and bleed. I have sensitive skin as well, so many hand soaps cause issues for me. It's awful...and embarrassing when I go to greet people, sign something, etc.

At night, I remove my rings and slather good ol' Bag Balm on my hands. While I, too, hate greasy , this isn't too bad, and it's the one thing I've found that really repairs.

When washing dishes, I ONLY use the Dawn with the Oil of Olay stuff. As for hand soap, I only use a certain type from Sam's (brand Simply Right).

I use a lot of the plain fragrance-free hypoallergenic Aveeno lotion throughout the day.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Top Dog

Doberluv, you just described my hands. They'll get so swollen I have to remove my rings. And the skin just cracks open all over.

I've seen a dermatologist a lot for it, and I have prescription hand soap and lotion, but that gets sooo expensive, especially with how much I wash my hands.

I've also gotten so desperate, that I've rubbed the pain-relieving neosporin all over my hands (then put socks on them...I don't have gloves).
Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Felurian

Staci, you might try this soap http://www.productbody.com/soaps-moi...oap-p-199.html

The Carrotmilk bar is really great for moisture, too, or the Mar Bar (unscented goat milk), the Eucalyptus Tea Tree . . . really all of them are great. I love the Detox bar too.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian