Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Top Dog

Default Dry hand cream?

My hands are getting very dry again (too much hand washing). I need recommendations. I've been using an Eucerin Target generic but it stings sometimes, so I don't use it that much (I tend to have allergic reactions to beauty products). I don't want something too greasy either...

Does anyone use something that works and doesn't irritate?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 AM
We are Home.

You can make one out of coconut oil or just use plain coconut oil.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Top Dog

Isn't that super greasy? Main issue I guess is I wash my hands so much, I usually just use it at night and I don't want it all over my sheets or something.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM
We are Home.

Not really as long as you use a SMALL amount and a small amount goes a LONG way. Its what I use as diaper ointment.

You melt it and beeswax together.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

My friends swear by Gold Bond hand cream.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 AM
We are Home.

the original recipe is for diaper cream but if you go to the end it has different things you can use and some are for what you are talking about and NOT diapers LOL

http://ecocrazymom.com/cloth-diaper-...-cream-recipe/

I actually just used it for this and it feels MUCH greasier as a hand cream then putting it on the kids butts Its not GREASY like most lotions Ive tried but its still just IDK. I dont use lotion at ALL though soooooo I might just be sensitive but there ya have it

Ive touched and wiped my hands on paper and everything though and THEY arent greasy just MY hands feel greasy (they are not dry though).

Last edited by darkchild16; 11-04-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

could you try doing a lotion and then putting gloves on so you wouldn't get the sheets greasy? I had a couple people swear by lotion, the wrap in like saran wrap and put socks on over that for their feet. maybe something like that for your hands?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

For really dry hands, you really need something greasy. That's what a dermatologist told me...the greasier, the better. But a pharmacist I use to work for told me about some cream called "Hands." It was developed by a pharmacist for her father who was a gardener and had cracked, dry hands. I used it. It felt pretty good and wasn't very greasy...more waxy. It's hard to find I think. I found it at Bartell Drug store where I worked, a local store in Washington. But it did work on those cracks. I tend to get eczema and when it gets bad, I need cortisone ointment to get it under control. (not cream....ointment) Sometimes the over the counter works eventually, but the Rx is better.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Well, I looked online...couldn't find it. I found other ones with the word, "hands" in it, but not the very one. It came in a jar.

Say....have you tried Burt's bees wax hand salve? Maybe that would work. They make some pretty good stuff.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
For really dry hands, you really need something greasy. That's what a dermatologist told me...the greasier, the better. But a pharmacist I use to work for told me about some cream called "Hands." It was developed by a pharmacist for her father who was a gardener and had cracked, dry hands. I used it. It felt pretty good and wasn't very greasy...more waxy. It's hard to find I think. I found it at Bartell Drug store where I worked, a local store in Washington. But it did work on those cracks. I tend to get eczema and when it gets bad, I need cortisone ointment to get it under control. (not cream....ointment) Sometimes the over the counter works eventually, but the Rx is better.
Jeremy has what we THINK is excema (red scabby patches that will NOT go away) and thats what we were told as well he can only really use ONE lotion that his dad gets free at his work (an electrical engineer at a power plant in Michigan) its called SBS-40. I'm getting him to try this once I make it "manly" for him since he refuses to use lavender scented lotion/cream because my FIL retires next year and NONE have compared. This stuff is MAJORLY greasy though like takes him 5-10 minutes to rub in a tiny bit.