Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Blackout

Default Hypothetical question

If you were in a truly desperate scenario where you had no one to reach out to except for someone you truly despised/really couldn't get along with/was abusive to you in the past - and that person was really the ONLY kind of assistance/counsel/help you could get; I'm talking advice, financial aid, legal counsel, general assistance and so on. No family, no friends, no one else to go to- just this particular figure.

Managing things on your own would be next to impossible - would you work with that person and go thru the agony for the sake of the situation at hand (Note, person would be someone you REALLY could not deal with)? or just try to tough things out on your own no matter how scary or bad they might be or get?
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Ball Thrower

I tend to be very independent and rarely ask for help even when I need it. So I'm pretty sure I would never ask someone I despise for assistance, no matter how desperate I may be.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Top Dog

There is always someone else. There are charities and organizations that will help you get back on your feet, get you the mental health help you need, or provide you with a safe place to live. ESPECIALLY if you are escaping abuse of some kind.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 AM
We are Home.

depends on the type of abuse and if I can make it in anyway without them and how they treat my children. If they treat me bad but the kids great and I have no choice yes I will because I cant let my children suffer.

ETA: This would be after I exhausted ALLL possibilities. Friends, local charities, EVERYTHING and only because I have children. Without them I would NOT.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Last edited by darkchild16; 11-04-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

If somebody was abusive to me in the past I would have zero reason to think they would truly be any help, or that said help would come without strings attached. So that's a no.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
There is always someone else. There are charities and organizations that will help you get back on your feet, get you the mental health help you need, or provide you with a safe place to live. ESPECIALLY if you are escaping abuse of some kind.
Quote:
If somebody was abusive to me in the past I would have zero reason to think they would truly be any help, or that said help would come without strings attached. So that's a no.
I agree with these two posts. And you can always talk to us Steph. Chazzers are pretty great when it comes to putting our heads together....and hearts.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Glutton for Crazy

It seems, a lot of the time, those who've been cruel aren't exactly helpful anyways.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

I wouldn't. I have issues asking for help from people I like. I'd never ask someone I despised.

BUT this is coming from someone who packed a backpack and left home with maybe $3 on her own. XD So if you are wanting a comfortable life while getting through something I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
depends on the type of abuse and if I can make it in anyway without them and how they treat my children. If they treat me bad but the kids great and I have no choice yes I will because I cant let my children suffer.

ETA: This would be after I exhausted ALLL possibilities. Friends, local charities, EVERYTHING and only because I have children. Without them I would NOT.
Except that your kids are learning it's okay for people to treat their mom that way. I'd rather temporarily move the family to a shelter or a car. Abuse is so damaging to everyone, especially kids even if they only witness it.

I'd make something else work. But then, I'm super stubborn and I'd never ever go back to an abuser.

If they are were so awful, why are they offering assistance anyway? Abusers like to control. When someone gets away from them, they are no longer under the abuser's control. I suspect this person sees this as a way they can get you back into their control, and that is waaay creepy.

But then, what kind of assistance are they offering? Just, "here's $1000 no strings attached," with the hope that you'll feel indebted to them? Or "Move back in with me and you'll have a roof over your head." If it was just money I'd totally take it and not feel bad. lol. I'd see it as restitution for what they did.

I've had to live in my car and eat out of dumpsters before, and know pretty much every wild edible thing that grows around here. People don't really need a lot to survive, long or short term. And these sorts of things are almost always short term.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Felurian

Well, I'm essentially doing that for the sake of my dogs at this point. Just trying to keep things together until I can make something happen.

It sucks, but I keep in mind something Dominique Francon said in The Fountainhead: "it can only hurt down to a certain point." (that may be paraphrased, it's been awhile since I read it). Beyond a certain point no one can touch me.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian