Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Glutton for Crazy

How is tipping humiliating the tipper??

I believe that tipping is definitely something to be evaluated by service but to not tip on good service is ridiculous.

Cultural differences are possible but my other half has traveled all over, including visiting family (1st gen American) in Ireland and England, and he said, "It's been a bit but I seem to remember tipping at every meal."

Are you sure you're not just really cheap?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
That's still how it's done in the States. I remember hearing that in Europe, waitstaff gets full wages, hence the non-compulsory tipping over there. Is that true?
When I lived in Spain we tipped. Again, was many moons ago, but I know we tipped for everything from a coffee to a full 3 hour meal.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 AM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
I've never understood that tip thing. It's totally stupid. People shouldn't feel obligated to tip a horrible waiter. And it shouldn't be legal for restaurants to underpay their waiters and make them rely on tips. I usually tip because of that.
I don't feel obligated. I've had really horrible service before and left absolutely nothing. She ignored us, got all of our orders wrong, yet we watched her bend over backwards to take care of the table next to us. On the flip side, we've left a 50% tip before because the waitress was amazing. If you suck, don't expect me to leave you something just because you assume it's part of your wage.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
That's still how it's done in the States. I remember hearing that in Europe, waitstaff gets full wages, hence the non-compulsory tipping over there. Is that true?
In France 10 years ago people still tipped often, now not so much. But they get full wages.

And yeah, if I had a horrible waitress I would probably not leave a tip either, it's just never been that bad.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

Yeah if service is bad I don't tip. But my friend is a waitress and only makes about $4 an hour so tips are super important. That's more than three dollars less than minimum wage.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
How is tipping humiliating the tipper??

I believe that tipping is definitely something to be evaluated by service but to not tip on good service is ridiculous.

Cultural differences are possible but my other half has traveled all over, including visiting family (1st gen American) in Ireland and England, and he said, "It's been a bit but I seem to remember tipping at every meal."

Are you sure you're not just really cheap?
Err..... I live here... I'm pretty sure I know how it works in the UK.

People tip for some meals but I can guarantee you its not every meal, every restaurant, every time. There is no expectation to tip, and if you do its more a 'you did a good job'. I've also worked in bars that serve food. I wouldn't expect a tip...

People are embarrassed if you shove money at them. If you tip a bar girl you wouldn't just hand her money, you'd suggest she 'took one for herself', ie take a drink yourself, and you'd take a pound or something. You don't make money in tips though,sometimes you'd get none at all.

I find it humiliating tipping, not being tipped. It's usually awkward as people in the UK are quite reserved about money etc. I've tipped a hairdresser before, but they aren't usually prepared for it, so it can be awkward again.

If you want to come over here and tip, no one will complain, but its not necessary and can embarrass sometimes.

And no, I'm not cheap
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Top Dog

$4 an hour!? I'm glad our pays aren't that bad!

I'm glad we don't need to tip in Australia. I guess I don't see a need for it though I can see the tipping helps the people who work and have a bad pay. If I was used to tipping people it wouldn't bother me but not being raised in that life style, I don't think I should have to. I have tipped before when I felt like it but it hardly happens.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Just try me..

I saw this on reddit too (and read that thread)

But ok not leaving any tip is kinda douchy.. but how often does this happen?

Also who are we to judge is this woman NEEDS this money to buy groceries? Maybe a family member was going away and they wanted one nice meal and it went over what they thought (just saying for instance.. there are many instances that I can think of where someone might save up to take family out for a really nice meal)

Posting this on reddit and whining, is just as douchy to me as the person not tipping. So you didn't get one tip. Its not the end of the world. Yes it sucks but you are not guaranteed any tips.

Once, when Hubby and I were dating as teens we had just enough money to get breadsticks, salad and a dessert at the Olive Garden. It was the cheapest 'nice night out' we could do. No we didn't have enough money for a tip.

BUT when we went back next time (and we had a bit more money that time) we saw the waiter we had, and even though he wasn't serving us we called him over. Apolgized for being broke kids and tipped him then.

He was so thrilled we remembered and we could hear him going over to other servers and telling him.

So its awfully douchy to complain over a one time issue.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
When I was waitressing (like 20 years ago), we were payed far less than minimum wage with the understanding that the tips would make up the difference.
Does anyone know if that’s still how its done?
I believe so. There is a good book called, Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America

http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-N...+by+in+america

The author spent a year out on her own living the life of an "unskilled" worker. She worked at Walmart, as a Waitress, a Cleaning woman and others. And tried to live off of her income. Very enlightening!

When you travel you need to check the customs. Most European countries have laws about paying a living wage and tipping is not necessary and even looked down on. Sometimes a small token tip is nice.

"Millions of Americans work full time, year round, for poverty-level wages. In 1998, Barbara Ehrenreich decided to join them. She was inspired in part by the rhetoric surrounding welfare reform, which promised that a job -- any job -- can be the ticket to a better life. But how does anyone survive, let alone prosper, on $6 an hour? To find out, Ehrenreich left her home, took the cheapest lodgings she could find, and accepted whatever jobs she was offered. Moving from Florida to Maine to Minnesota, she worked as a waitress, a hotel maid, a cleaning woman, a nursing-home aide, and a Wal-Mart sales clerk. She lived in trailer parks and crumbling residential motels. Very quickly, she discovered that no job is truly "unskilled," that even the lowliest occupations require exhausting mental and muscular effort. She also learned that one job is not enough; you need at least two if you int to live indoors."
Old 11-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

How do you guys feel about tipping at take out places like Little Cesar's (don't know if you have one) where you order at the counter and they hand you a pizza? Or any kind of place where you order at the counter and all they do is bring you the item? They're taking your order, but only walking about 5 steps to get it to you. They're not coming and asking if you want more water or desert. They're not bringing or removing dishes from a table or bringing you condiments. I tip at espresso stands because it takes them a long time to make the Latte or whatever. But I think it's weird to tip someone whose only job it is, is to hand you something from across a counter and take your money. I think it's weird when they have tip jars for that kind of situation. But I have tipped sporadically at those places anyhow.

I've been really embarrassed when I was dating this jerk back in Idaho. He tipped so badly, it wasn't even funny. And he had a ton of money! I'm not talking about a low tip because of poor service. I'm talking about consistently lousy tipping. One place we went to all the time for karaoke and dinner and everyone knew everyone pretty much. When he'd not be watching, I'd sneak the poor waitress a chunk because I was appalled at the 2 or 3 dollars he'd leave on the table. OMG! It wasn't an expensive dinner (he was too cheap for that) but still....the tip was probably about 8 or 10% max. I didn't want to offend him so I'd tip her on the sly. Maybe I should have just done it right in front of him. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson