Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Personally since I know Reddit I think it's fake and they are just karma whoring.
Off topic but I've been pretty soured with Reddit after the 'Reddit Rapist' thing came out.

Sorry, back on topic!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I hate tipping. I don't tip. I find it humiliating.

Thank god I live somewhere its not compulsory, they'd hate me in the US restaurants. I only tip here if I have reason to (ie, exceptional service).

You know, in China they actually get offended if you try to tip them.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Top Dog

I waitressed for years and the amount of people who simply don't tip on principle would surprise you. When you think about it, it is a sort of hinkey practice. The customer is actually paying twice for the service. Here your hourly wage is less if you serve alcohol, so the implication is that the tips are higher when people drink. There really is something kind of wrong with that.

Is posting a picture of a Visa receipt legal? Even with the details fuzzed, not exactly ethical.

I'd give the customer benefit of doubt, maybe she only budgeted for $125 and was totally shocked she went over that much. The apology was nice, at least she appreciated the service enough to think of doing that. Could have skipped the "single mother" part, sounds like a cop-out.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post

Thank god I live somewhere its not compulsory, they'd hate me in the US restaurants. I only tip here if I have reason to (ie, exceptional service).

When I was waitressing (like 20 years ago), we were payed far less than minimum wage with the understanding that the tips would make up the difference.
Does anyone know if that’s still how its done?
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Uh, sorry. If you can't afford the tip, you can't afford to go out for a meal. I thought that was common sense.
I'm with you!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Top Dog

I've never understood that tip thing. It's totally stupid. People shouldn't feel obligated to tip a horrible waiter. And it shouldn't be legal for restaurants to underpay their waiters and make them rely on tips. I usually tip because of that.

But using the single mom excuse for not giving a tip with a $138 check isn't right.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
When I was waitressing (like 20 years ago), we were payed far less than minimum wage with the understanding that the tips would make up the difference.
there is a seperate min. wage for for people who work in a position like waitressing.

I think its 2.38 right now.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I am a single Mom, and single Mom times two, in Kansas City and I always leave a tip..Plus I could never eat out anywhere that charged like that. In fact, eating out is a Birthday affair, and can't really go over a Pizza or Buffet kind of deal. It's bull to treat anyone like that.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
That's still how it's done in the States. I remember hearing that in Europe, waitstaff gets full wages, hence the non-compulsory tipping over there. Is that true?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Lord Cynical

Can't tip? Don't eat out. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post

Heck, generally I OVER tip - always have, and probably always will... unless I get truly awful service, but it takes a lot for me to leave a bad tip. I've only done it a few times.

If you ever came to the States on a visit, I'd recommend tipping. It's seen as appropriate/necessary in this country, especially since wait staff are paid less than minimum wage because tips should, in effect, make up the difference. And Americans can't even always survive on minimum wage in many parts of the country.

It's all about being culturally sensitive - if you went to China, sure, don't tip. Come to America, and tipping is expected/necessary.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)