Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Uh, sorry. If you can't afford the tip, you can't afford to go out for a meal. I thought that was common sense.
This. That is downright AWFUL.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, the waitress could well be a single mom too. But that's beside the point. If you can afford that much eating out, you ought to be able to afford a decent tip. I agree...if she's that poor to leave a tip, use the money for groceries instead. Some people are just rotten.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Uh, sorry. If you can't afford the tip, you can't afford to go out for a meal. I thought that was common sense.
This.
Especially with a $140 bill.

Eating out is a LUXURY. If you are choosing to make that expense, you should be ready to tip. Waitresses don't get minimum wage...tipping is what makes their wages.

Can't afford to tip? Order take-out, buy groceries, eat at HOME.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 PM
We are Home.

I will say again as Im thinking about it. I was given a 100 dollar gift card to a restaurant the christmas after I had Bev so I went out somewhere fancy and my tip wasnt much at all since the food was $$$$ but I at least attempted to leave a tip (it wasnt the normal percentage but I couldnt afford more then I left) but I left SOMETHING

EAT: It was only to ONE restaurant so I had no choice. I still have no clue why I was given it but hey the person was a tad strange so I refuse to try and understand them.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Last edited by darkchild16; 11-02-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Felurian

Well . . . the n and the g are the same.

Who knows. If it is real, how trashy. If you can't afford to tip and feel like you MUST eat something other than your own cooking, go get take-out.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I honestly think my biggest issue would be less about the person leaving no tip, but more about them trying to make a sad attempt at an excuse for it. For that much food served (obviously with the bill it was a lot) you definitely should leave a tip. If you are not going to leave a tip at least own up to it and not try to hide behind a cowardly excuse!

I've not left tips before, but it's always (very unusual, but has happened) for horrible service. If the service is decent I'll leave at least something, better service = better tip.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
I've not left tips before, but it's always (very unusual, but has happened) for horrible service. If the service is decent I'll leave at least something, better service = better tip.
I've done the same -- and told the manager why I didn't leave a tip or wrote it in the comments section if there was one.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Top Dog

Personally since I know Reddit I think it's fake and they are just karma whoring.

If it is true it's a really douchey thing to do.

BUT just wanted to throw in, a surprising number of restaurants will let you pay tip with a gift card. You can just ask. I usually get a ton of them at Christmas and on my birthday and if you are paying the full check with one a lot of times you can write in tips and they'll take it out of the card.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Personally since I know Reddit I think it's fake and they are just karma whoring.

If it is true it's a really douchey thing to do.

BUT just wanted to throw in, a surprising number of restaurants will let you pay tip with a gift card. You can just ask. I usually get a ton of them at Christmas and on my birthday and if you are paying the full check with one a lot of times you can write in tips and they'll take it out of the card.
Yep Ive never been to one that doesnt. Thats what I usually do at least. We get a ton of them for Christmas for places like Chilis and what not. The one that I got for 100 was a local VERY fancy restaurant and you should have saw the look on their faces when I asked to do that. Especially when my friend and I shared a entree, appetizer and got 2 sodas.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

I have been to dinner with people who have done this on 100$ bills. Been very embarrassed and left an even bigger tip myself. Now they did not write anything in but just the fact they do it is bad enough it's only McDonald's with them from now on.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber