Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Default Checking in after Sandy

Hey everybody, I'm alive, and there are no trees or water in my living room, so I feel pretty lucky.

The storm hit hard, we're still out of power, although it is slowly returning to a few business in the area - like the library, where I, along with about 200 other people are on the internet for the first time in days.

Luckily, our hot water didn't go out, and we did have a small generator which has kept the food cold...unfortunately finding gas to run it is, at best, impossible, and at worst, downright dangerous. Aside from people rioting and fighting over gas, mostly everyone's pulled through to help one another. My dad also managed to hook up the heat to the generator, so after 3 nights of sleeping like we're camping in the adirondacks, we finally had heat...but now there's almost no gas left. It's not really a problem, though. We can charge our phones too...but...no cell service. I can text in and out, but can't call.

I spent last night in the ER for dehydration/hyperemesis....but the best part...after my ultrasound was canceled due to the hurricane, I got one at the ER, and SAW THE ITTY BITTY HEARTBEAT AND LITTLE BABY SPINE AND IT WAS WIGGLY AND PERFECT <3

Not sure how long we'll be without gas or internet...they said expect more than 10 days, but so far it's been nearly 4 and I'm thinking we might have it back in a few more days.

The dogs think the hurricane is super-great because everyone is off work/school and home to PLAY...I have some great pictures but don't know when I'll be able to share them.

Hope everyone else is safe/warm/well-fed.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Felurian

((((((HUGS)))))) Glad you checked in and are okay. Sounds like you're coping with your usual grace and competence

How special is that -- getting to see the baby!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM
swimming upstream

glad to hear you are ok--what a frightening experience. Stay safe--and crossing fingers that power will be restored soon!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Glad you're ok (and the baby!). I hope you'll get power back soon
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Glad you guys didn't get much damage. It's funny, some parts of long island were untouched...then others saw massive damage.

Hopefully the power will come back up, cuomo is coming down hard on the part companies.

As far as gas, last I heard they have opened the ports in Riverhead... But until today I wasn't aware that there were ports in Riverhead. I haven't been able to find anything in the news to confirm that though.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Glad to here you are okay and were able to get medical attention when you needed it. Lots of good thoughts heading your way -- hoping power is restored soon. Take care.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

Take care, MM. Glad to hear you are doing ok and that you got to the ER alright. Wonderful news about the little one. :-)
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Glad you checked in! I was worried!!
Let us know if you need anything ((((hugs))))

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Taxiderpy

Yay! *mugs you* So happy that you and your family are safe, and that the baby is doing great too. I was really worried about you when you went offline for a few days.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

Glad to hear y'all have escaped without major tragedy. Hurricanes are hard enough on us, but we're built (as best as can be) to withstand them. Y'all having a major hurricane is more equated to us dealing with snow (we're just not set up or equipped to deal with such).

There are many LSU tailgating groups that are collecting money to donate up there. One group of people said they'll match dollar-to-dollar up to $1,300. It may not sound like much, but we're talking regular everyday folks down here.

And I wish the states up there good luck. Louisiana still hasn't received FEMA funds for Isaac...