Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Its funny because even though Teagan is my heart dog and we are so closely bonded and I was the person who trained her and was there for her whole puppy hood, but she is just as bonded with Tyler as she is with me.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

It's hard, as people who want more than just a cuddly couch pet, to share a dog, IMO. Unless both of the people enjoy training and working and playing with the dog just as much as the other does. I think it's easier for regular pet people to share a dog, because the dog is just there as a companion and something to pet and play fetch with. And I don't mean that in a demeaning way at all, I just feel that it's a little different for those of us (like most on chaz) who enjoy working with dogs in other ways and want different things out of a dog.

I'm not married nor am I even dating anybody and I do still live with my mom, because financially that makes the most sense and we both like it this way, so I guess it might not be exactly the same sort of situation as it is for people with significant others. But in our home, the dogs all make it clear that they are mine. Keira and I have really bonded within the last year, which makes me feel bad, as she was meant to be mom's always. And I still call her mom's dog, but she now acts just as much mine as Ripley and Dance do. We joke that we share custody of Ripley, but he's pretty well been mine since day one. And Dance was always meant as mine and so is Koolie puppy meant to be mine. And even though the Dobermans weren't necessarily intended that way, I am the one who instills rules and structure for them, I train them, I work with them, they sleep in my room, I feed them most of their meals, I play fun games with them, etc. It's natural that they all sort of became mine regardless of whatever we refer to them as.

For this reason, if I am still living with her when my mom gets her next dog, I am going to try and not do as much with that dog and make sure mom does. I feel really bad sometimes that mom doesn't have a dog that's truly hers anymore, and I think she misses it. The reason I kind of took over Keira and ended up bonding closely with her is because she and my mom's personalities do clash on different levels, and they just frustrated eachother, and life is a lot more peaceful and quiet now that I take care of the things with Keira that caused chaos for her/mom. Keira is a much calmer, less frantic dog to be around. And mom enjoys a Keira who doesn't tremble and screech and run everywhere with excitement over nothing.

Of the dogs who were meant to be mine though, I kind of feel a little possessive over them, haha. That sounds terrible, but it's true. Tango, Dance, Koolie puppy... I don't want other people interfering with them. They are 100% mine and I want them to be more close to me than my mom (or my brother for that matter, but he doesn't have much to do with the dogs by choice). Other people can love them and play with them, but at the end of the day, they are mine.

I feel like I just rambled about nothing, haha. That's what happens when I post before bed. But anyway, I think I will always be the type of person to have "mine" and "yours" and "family" separated dogs. I mean, the whole family regardless enjoys the dogs, but it's just a whole different relationship with a dog that is really and truly "mine" vs. shared. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Everyone I am sure would be more than happy to experience a dog that is mainly theirs. The dog/s still bond with everyone in the family, but there's just an extra special bond with one particular person.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

My parents share their dog. My mum feeds and my dad trains (though AJ doesn't get a ton of training right now since he's ancient). When I was a kid we had our own animals, but it was still a family pet. Whoever's animal it was just had poop duty for that animal lol. About the time I started high school I wanted to take over more dog responsibilities, and have MY dog.

Now, my dogs are mine. My mum watches them on occasion and feeds them at noon if I work a long day, but they're 100% MY dogs. I also don't do much responsibility-wise with AJ. I feed him maybe twice a month, take him somewhere on occasion, and play with him on occasion, but he's not mine by any stretch. The cats are SO NOT MINE. AT ALL.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 PM
The Littlest Hound

Chris brought Keena to the relationship, and she would die for him. Which makes sense, as she's his retired service dog I brought the hounds, and they are hands down my dogs. They all love both of us (except maybe Rage...) but I get frustrated with Keena not respecting my space like she does Chris', and I KNOW it frustrates him to death he can barely get a "sit" out of Liz & Dais. I feed all 4 usually, I take Rage & Keena running, Chris is home with all of them most of the day so he does the in&out nonsense

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Technically, they're all "our" dogs, but Ozzy is definitely "his" dog and the other three are definitely "my" dogs. Enzo though could be considered an "our" dog now though, because she will pick and choose who to follow. I provide more fun time going places and training though, so I'd say 66% of the time she hangs with me. Indy and Knox were both acquired as "my" dogs from the jump, though Indy has somewhat turned into a "his" dog. She loves both of us, but she definitely prefers boys (she's a bit of a hussy ) She'll follow either of us around.

Ozzy loves me, a lot, but like someone else said, his world starts and ends with Steven.

Knox pretty much ignores Steven about 99% of the time.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Top Dog

My dogs are mine. I live with my grandma and while they like her, they aren't bonded to her. They don't listen to other people and are general pains with others...but they listen awesome to me!
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 AM
Plus One

Fudge, Scamp and Aura are mine. They have very little interest in anyone else at all. Which is unfortunate because Fudge and Scamp were got for my sister. She didn't do anything with them after the first week and when Fudge became almost unmanageable I started training him. Then in typical Fudge dramatic style, I became the only one that mattered. Scamp was the same although he does occasionally let my sister love on him. Fudge mainly ignores her.

Aura was always mine from the start. That's good because no one else in the house can stand her lol. She's too loud, too enthusiastic about everything and far too attached to me. She barks in her crate when I leave (her crate got moved recently and she's only just adjusting to it now.) When I tell her to do something she does it as fast as she can and then if I ever dare to say the word "good" towards her she flies at me, bounces off my chest, gets her pat and races round with excitement. I think it's adorable, my parents ... not so much. My sister says she's not trained because she completely ignores her. It really irritates my sister who think the dogs should just do what they're told. The fact she shouts and can get physical with them very quickly really doesn't help her and she knows that to touch my dogs is off limits completely.

Ozzy is nobodies dog, because he was got for my mother. I give him basic care (food, water, let him out) and that is it. He is very attached to my mum though she doesn't have much time for him.

Diesel is a "family" dog. He gets the same deal as Ozzy but he gets more attention because he's more pushy about it plus he's supposedly shared between my mum and sister. I also do some basic training with him because it's important for me that the dogs can stay, down and come. My mums training wasn't working (and still isn't, the day when that dog gets off the sofa the first time he's told will be the end of the world! lol) and I need those behaviours for the dogs outside since our garden isn't dog proof.

Tika and Taz are true family dogs although Tika is more attached to me and Taz is more attached to my dad (ironically since Taz was supposed to be mine and Tika was my dads) but both of them will go with anyone who gives them any sign of affection.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 AM
I'm All Ears

I know my future SO will have to deal with my type of dog to an extent. I like really in your face dogs and really need them to train with. Hopefully I find someone that understands that (and maybe likes similar dogs). I just don't want to live in a household where half the house finds the dog obnoxious again. My familys' idea of a good dog is a Rose type- meek and quiet and non destructive and not demanding. An sweet without any kinds of reactivity to worry about.

Mia... doesn't fit that.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Top Dog

Except our first dog who was clearly my dad's, all the animals in the house were family animals when I was growing up. We all spent time with them and loved them and trained them but they were family pets and my parents were responsible for them.

I got Murphy when I was 21 and when Matt and I got together he was clearly MY dog. In the last couple years (we've been together for five) he's morphed more into a family dog. But I'm still his person - he refuses to come downstairs in the mornings until I get up. And I'm the only one that can handle him when he's in pain. I don't think he trusts anyone else.

Mu was supposed to be Matt's dog (or at least that's how I talked him into getting another dog lol). But she is completely, totally, 100%, my dog. She begs off of Matt because he's an easy mark, but if she's focused on me and Matt (or anyone) tries to get her attention there's no chance. When I leave her with my parents she either follows my mom around looking woeful or searches for me, or goes and finds my stuff so she can lay on it.

Tipper is everyone's dog. She's a total attention *****, I kinda love it. Lol. I think she loves/likes/whateverdogsdo us a lot, but she would have no problem switching houses again.

ETA: I would really like Matt to have his own dog. I know what would be perfect for him - a small cuddly dog that's willing to lay on laps and snuggle for hours. He was in luuuuurve with BackwardCinderella's Bobsie when we met her. Someday I'll make it my mission to find his perfect dog.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

When Mary dog passed away, if I got up and left the room, Pepper and Victor got up, even if they were cuddled with Hyia at the time, I knew it hurt her. Mary was the dog that paid attention and made her feel special. SO when we got the cat for her for CHristmas, I did not pet the cat, look at the cat, brush, feed or in anyway acknowledge him. Hyia gave him all of that and it worked beautifully. He treasures her. I will feed and care for him if Hyia is away, and I will pet him, and shove him off of my head at night, but as soon as she comes in, he drops me like a hot coal which is perfect.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,