Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

I take care of all of them and pay all the bills, hub or son will feed, let them out into the yard etc when I am away. However, Petie and Who are my dogs and sleep beside me etc. Hailey is hubs dog, her world starts and ends with him and always has, plus she is the only dog ever allowed in his classic cars lol. Sprout is our son's dog, they adore each other. Bobbi is the floater, he is the family dog. All the dogs sleep beside their person and Bobbi has his fav spots to sleep and shares himself with all of us.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

My two love my boy person...they are always happy to see him and don't mind hanging out with him.

However, when it comes to looking for direction it is me they look to. I am the one that does the training. I do most of the feeding and potty duty. I am the one that usually takes them on interesting outings and I am the one that is planning on going into competitions with them. I am also the bad guy who has to tell the no and make them behave I am also the one that usually is there when there is a vet visit.

That being said he helps with the occasional feeding and outing. He also does the yard cleanup duty. He plays with them and loves them...Menchi does the crazy puppy routine when he comes home from work

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
In the past I have had bfs that tried to claim my dogs as "our" dogs... honestly... it really ticked me off. lol. I don't know why either, it just did.
Me too. But it's because they aren't kids, they aren't inanimate possessions. They are friends. If you've ever had someone try to butt their head into your relationship with your best friend, it is similar. It's not "our" best friend just because you're dating me or married to me. And any friend I make during this relationship isn't automatically "ours" just because, either.

Dogs aren't inanimate possessions, they aren't kids. They are friends. Some can be "our" friend, some can be "my" friend, and some are going to be "your" friend.

At least, that's how I see it.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Me too. But it's because they aren't kids, they aren't inanimate possessions. They are friends. If you've ever had someone try to butt their head into your relationship with your best friend, it is similar. It's not "our" best friend just because you're dating me or married to me. And any friend I make during this relationship isn't automatically "ours" just because, either.

Dogs aren't inanimate possessions, they aren't kids. They are friends. Some can be "our" friend, some can be "my" friend, and some are going to be "your" friend.

At east, that's how I see it.
Pretty much how I see it too!

Don't get me wrong -- I would love a future SO to be into Jackson, and enjoy doing things with him too. I would never get mad at them for doing stuff with him, or helping out, etc. But the fact is he'll always be MY dog, and not yours, lol. So I wouldn't consider it "ours".

I do see what GoingNowhere is saying... if a couple gets a dog *together* I guess it's a bit different than a person having a dog and then meeting a person, but it just depends on the couple and the dog really. Some dogs really are just all around family dogs and don't really have a 'person' per say. But again us here on chaz are a lot more involved in terms of breed choices and training and such ... so we're already a bit different than the average family looking for a family dog.

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I do see what GoingNowhere is saying... if a couple gets a dog *together* I guess it's a bit different than a person having a dog and then meeting a person, but it just depends on the couple and the dog really. Some dogs really are just all around family dogs and don't really have a 'person' per say. But again us here on chaz are a lot more involved in terms of breed choices and training and such ... so we're already a bit different than the average family looking for a family dog.
Yep, even at my mom's house, though, it was the same way. Zander was mine, Macie was my mom's, Dante was my mom's husbands....just how it always worked out. One way or another, the dogs just gravitated towards certain people. Gustav, Eve and Indy were more "family dogs", though I would snatch Eve and Goose in an instant.

I think part of it is personal choice of breeds and training, and some of it is probably Heart Dog Syndrome too.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
In the past I have had bfs that tried to claim my dogs as "our" dogs... honestly... it really ticked me off. lol. I don't know why either, it just did.
I think if Ryan had tried to claim them right off the bat then I would have been super ticked, lol. But at some point, probably just in the last year here, I started thinking of him as "our" dog.

Ryan and I aren't married yet, but at this point (I think it's over 4 years? something like that?) we have a lot more "us" stuff than his or mine. We live together, the groceries are shared, bills are shared, etc etc.
At some point it went from me thinking of it as: Myself (and MY Frodo), and here is my boyfriend Ryan.
To now I think of us as a unit, we're a family now.
That probably sounds bonkers...

Also, when Frodo does particularly bad things Ryan will say "your dog!" and I'm like "uh, no. OUR dog!" :lolsign:

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

Dogs indeed are man's best friends. They would bond with all the members of the family. However, these pets tend to choose a particular person to bond closely with. The chosen person will be the dog's best friend...one that will receive the most loving affection.

I tend to choose small breeds. I have a male and female Chihuahua. My brother brought home a Rottweiler/Doberman hybrid. The hybrid appears to have chosen me. Despite the efforts of my bro, his dog became my shadow. Bogs is now my dog.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

Mine. They're all mine. Technically the only one that was bought FOR me is Bailey. But I now pay for all everything and with the exception of this year while my cats live with my mom, I do 99% of the care as well.

Four elderly pets are expensive, let me tell you (15, 15, 14, 12.5)!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 PM
orange iguanas.

Our dogs have always been "meant" as family dogs.

Juno kind of screwed that up though lol she is very much MY dog. But I guess that is what happens when you get a puppy and only one person interacts with it! For a long time my mom was at least financially responsible for the necessities (while I still paid for training classes or extra toys etc), but in the past 6-12 months - probably because I've been making more money - all of a sudden everything became my responsibility, including food and vet bills.

Of course, living with my parents and brother, my perspective is different. But I definitely think it can work, the only thing I don't like in these situations is when the other person says "I'm not feeding her/letting her outside/taking her for a walk/whatever because she's YOUR dog." I think when a dog lives with a family it is essentially everyone's dog, to an extent.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Original Twin

Well, I'm single and live by myself, so unfortunately, they are both my dogs, ALL the time. I can't even foist them off on a BF as his dogs when they've been bad.

When I was with Ryan, we got Django. For 3 days, Django was mine. After that...he was definitely Ryan's boy. I still took him to classes, fed him, was responsible for vet bills etc. I convinced Ryan to allow me to get a second dog since he stole my first. Fortunately, he agreed and Saga was DEFINITELY mine. I haven't dated anyone since I got Nico, but he will always be a MY dog, not an OUR dog. Saga could possibly be an OUR dog at some point, but probably will still be mine.