Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

All five are mine, even Charlie whom was my sisters and is now mine, doesn't pay her much attention nowadays. I sometimes feel bad when other family members want to spend time with them, but the dogs just kinda brush them off.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

Zander is definitely mine and Jin wants his "own" dog because Zane isn't really "our" dog. He still helps out with Zander, and will play with him and such, but at the end of the day, Zander still comes to me.

It's actually been him that's more worried that his dog will eventually become mine because I'm going to be helping in training, and I'm the one that's always around while he's gone days at a time. But he won't have this same job in Italy, so I don't think it's going to end up that way.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

I don't think I'd be comfortable with a "mine" and "yours" relationship with someone that I was living with unless the dog came before I did. Or on the flip side, if I already had a dog and then met a SO.

With regard to pets of my parents, if they (once I am independent and living entirely on my own) go and get themselves another dog besides Boo, yes, that dog will be "their" dog. I'm sure I'd help out when I visit, but I wouldn't consider it mine to control, the way I consider Boo partly mine.

But if I end up married to someone and we go out and get a dog that is going to live with both of us, I would want it to be "our" dog regardless of who the dog chooses to like better. Just the same way that when living with my family, every dog we have had has been "ours." Maybe I just have a more communal mindset.

**ETA - I feel the need to elaborate on the "someone I was living with" statement. I'm referring to a SO or in the case of when I was growing up, my immediate family. I'm not referring to a temporary situation like a roommate.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

Yoshi is definitely mine. She'll play with my dad or brother. She doesn't see my brother that often but plays with my dad almost every day.

But when it's time to calm down or cuddle I'm the one who she comes to. I'm the one that feeds her, takes her to the vet, sleeps with her.

It's not like a one person dog where she dislikes anyone else. Yoshi loves everyone and everything. I'm just her favorite XD

Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
But if I end up married to someone and we go out and get a dog that is going to live with both of us, I would want it to be "our" dog regardless of who the dog chooses to like better. Just the same way that when living with my family, every dog we have had has been "ours." Maybe I just have a more communal mindset.
For me, I told DH point blank. "You aren't just marrying me. You're marrying Zander too. We come as a set, and if you can't handle it, this won't work. Zander will be just as much a part of the household as me." I came with him, it's either both of us or neither of us. And to this day, we have a back up plan just in case he gets stationed somewhere Zander can't go. I stay behind with Zander. That's the deal. Zander isn't a table or a tv we can just get rid of when we no longer want.

It's actually what prompted him to want his own dog. He wants a relationship like that, that heartdog you'd do anything for. And it's not my business to get between that. I don't expect him to "share" that with me, just as he doesn't expect me to "share" Zander with him, although Zander is typically thrilled with Jin as a playmate....it isn't the same bond.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Yes, Trent is definitely and 100% mine, and was from the very beginning. The rest of the family loves the family pets, but are not dog people. When we were puppy hunting, we weren't getting a dog for the family, but a dog for me. Even though I am not always the one to feed him, I'm the one who plays with, trains, exercises, and manages him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
I sometimes feel bad when other family members want to spend time with them, but the dogs just kinda brush them off.
Same here. My sister was complaining a while back that Trent did not like any of the new toys we'd bought, because he wouldn't play when she offered them to him. I picked up the said toys and Trent immediately jumped up and went crazy over them.

My sister's also mentioned before that it doesn't feel like the family has a dog. Just that we are sharing our house with one. Her cat likes me more than Trent likes her
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
For me, I told DH point blank. "You aren't just marrying me. You're marrying Zander too. We come as a set, and if you can't handle it, this won't work. Zander will be just as much a part of the household as me." I came with him, it's either both of us or neither of us. And to this day, we have a back up plan just in case he gets stationed somewhere Zander can't go. I stay behind with Zander. That's the deal. Zander isn't a table or a tv we can just get rid of when we no longer want.

It's actually what prompted him to want his own dog. He wants a relationship like that, that heartdog you'd do anything for. And it's not my business to get between that. I don't expect him to "share" that with me, just as he doesn't expect me to "share" Zander with him, although Zander is typically thrilled with Jin as a playmate....it isn't the same bond.

This!

Every time I've dated since I got Yoshi I've always made it very clear that Yoshi is part of the package. Want to go away for a weeked? Awesome she's coming.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Jack is definitely mine, and Missy is definitely my mom's. We both feed, let outside, and give attention to both dogs, but I rarely train Missy or take her anywhere, and my mom doesn't do anything with Jack. I buy most of the food and treats and all that, just because of where I work, but I pay for Jacks vet bills and my mom pays for Missy's.

I would say that the cat is definitely mine, as I take care of her the majority of the time. But she doesn't seem to have a preference for one person over the other lol.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Roseys a family dog (cause, to me, if your parents buy the dog, have the dog in their house, buy the food and pay the vet bills of the dog (granted they don't anymore, but they did for the majority of her life), the dog is theirs/family dog), but is legally and emotionally mine. I buy the food, I pay the vet bills, I get woken up at 4am when something is wrong, I make the decisions concerning her life.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

I would say our dogs our "ours" though they lean more towards "mine". Figured this was just the way it is as DH is not as much of a dog person....then we fostered Chupy and DH was SO attached so quickly. He is still sad thinking about him though he is happy he is in a great home. He loves the dogs we have now, but he definitely had a stronger connection with Chup