Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Default Your dog vs family dog

We always had individual dogs growing up, I had my BC, my brother inherited the "family" dog, my parents had their dogs. Between my husband I now, the dogs are definitely mine, I take them to work with me, I train them, I feed them, etc. He does play with them/love them up, but if I leave the room they are always hot on my heels. I feel awful that it's this way, when Classic was still around it was easy because he was always home with my husband, it wasn't dogless for the majority of the day for him like it is now. I keep hinting that my hubby should get his "own" dog, one to take to car shows, sleep with him (he works nights), hang out in the garage with him, etc. I think he's warming up to the idea.

Does anyone else separate your dogs like this? I have my hands full with the merle girls so I absolutely cannot take on the responsibility of another dog right now, but he has so much spare time. Is it difficult to live like this?

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

Nope, we absolutely do! We both feed, potty, pet etc. But, the dogs, for the most part (minus the BC, Finn), know exactly who they belong to. We each train our own dogs, we each take our own dogs running, each spend "family time" with our own dogs in the living room when we have off time (lately it has not been together) etc etc The dogs all love both of us, but when push comes to shove, they know who they go to.

Finn, Jason's BC, likes women better it seems and has taken a strong liking to being with me all the time. I have started handling him because of this - but this is unique for us among our dogs - we handle our own usually - even though we participate in all of the same sports.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Resident fainting goat

Dogs are very personal around here.
My mom has her dogs. I have mine. We feed/walk/groom/almost entirely separately, they sleep in our bed rooms, they travel with us.
lol it feels weird saying it..but yea, people notice. I don't even have pictures of my moms dogs on my computer and they ignore me for the most part unless my mom isn't home.

My boyfriend has HIS dog lol I of course love on his dog and such but when he leaves the room, his dog goes right on with him. lol I call his dog his 2nd girlfriend.. she is such a hussy. She is obsessed with him and is the typical lab in many ways. Loves to get dirty, swim, go for rides in the car, EAT EAT EAT..

but yea, for me, dogs are a MINE thing.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Water Junkie

Oh, definitely! Blaze is without a doubt my dog. The other day, Blaze was standing outside by the door, looking in. My brother started waving his hands in front of the door and Blaze did not even notice, he was completely focused on me, behind my brother.

A few days later, Blaze was standing beside my dad and I had started walking away. My dad starting waving his hand in front of Blaze to get his attention. Nothing. Blaze was totally focused on me walking up the stairs.

Lizzie is definitely my dog, too, as she just responds much better to me than to the rest of my family. However, she is more of a family dog than Blaze.

Jake (beagle) is definitely my brother's dog. And Major (Poodle) is a family dog. He'll go to anyone.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Fran that dogs are a 'mine' thing. We're pretty much the same way. I just can't motivate myself to put the effort into other family members dogs that I do my own...

I live part-time/ish at my dads house and spend a LOT of time with their 2 dogs. I love on them, they're always happy to see me, I usually feed all 3 when I'm over there, occasionally I'll bathe Lilly, or walk her too, etc. But, Buddy is 100% my step-moms dog. Lilly is more-so my dads dog, but she's for all general purposes a 'family' dog. And same thing with Jackson, he seriously LOVES my dad (probably his second fav person next to me), but he's still MINE. My dad is the 'fun guy who gives me lots of food' (in his mind, lol) but when he really wants something, or is relaxing, he's close to me and follows me.

Their dogs need SO much training and yeah, I could work on it... but really, I feel like ... why? They're not my type of dogs, I know any work I do is going to be erased by my dad and step-mom anyways because they won't keep up with it, things like that. I have no motivation to 'fix' anything about them, LoL. I do try to order food online for my dad so they aren't stuck eating whatever is on sale at the grocery store, and help out, but I'm not going to put MY effort and energy into worrying about all the things with them that I do with Jackson lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Rose is "the family dog". She has her favorite people (my mom and myself), but she's just the generic dog. Chloe was mine, but now she's a "family dog" - or as much of one as she can be, considering anyone but my sister and myself hate handling her for fear of being bit.

But, Mike and I definitely have our own dogs. I help him take care of the three munchkins, but they are his. Cynder, especially. Cooper, mostly, and Gracie is about half and half between us. When I had Seabees, she was my responsibility and while he enforced rules and played with her, she was mine. I assume a new pup will be much the same way.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

All three of our dogs are technically mine. I do all the training etc. He helps feed and walk sometimes, but usually its me. Bamm was mine prior to me even meeting Josh. Cricket is mine even though I got her after we were married. He wanted a new shotgun and I wanted a puppy.

Joey is mine and Josh isn't super fond of him though he is warming up to him more. He just isn't used to Joey's abundant personality lol.

But ya, there's no doubt the dogs are mine even though Bamm is growing pretty close to Josh and is Josh's favorite of our crew.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Josh does want his own dog, but its more than likely going to be a while because 3 is more than enough for us to handle right now.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie is mine. She pines for me and is stuck to me like glue when I'm home. My parents have their own two dogs and its easy to tell they're theirs. I could work with them but that bond isn't there. I wanted to maybe use chai as my second agility dog but a) my mum won't cut her food back at all to help slim her down a bit and b) she's 6 and has no concept of learning and she honestly frustrates me as she's been basically taught that do nothing = good and think = bad.

I don't mess with it. Mum likes how her dogs are and think that I don't let mine "be a dog" enough. Whatever.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Well, it's just me at home, but when the kids and I visit with family, it's very clear who Gambit belongs to. Argon was a very chill dog, and had no trouble being with anyone. No one but me and my parents will even consider handling Gambit, and they won't take him overnight.

Everyone likes the puppies, though, and wants them. Strange how no one wants them for more then one night, though....

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.