Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Whippet Lover

Default What to expect?

My dog has cancer, but is doing so well right now that it's hard to believe. He's just as happy and active as he's always been, maybe even happier since he is getting more attention. But since cancers are so unpredictable, is it possible that suddenly he'll get really sick? I don't know what to expect and when. By the way, he has hemangiosarcoma.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry for you and your dog. I do hope you still have quality time with him. Some cancers can be put in remission for a long time....others spred very quickly. You'll know when the time is right to think by him , rather than your pain of the loss. Bless you both . Please keep us posted. We ache for you.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Top Dog

bubbatd is right. You will know when the day has come.

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Make every moment with your dog a special memory and have fun. Also, a dog picks up on your attitude..if you are happy and don't act as though any thing is wrong you will get a lot more time with your dog. If you look at your dog in pity or saddness they pick up on these feelings.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Puppy Dog

My Dog Cyrus had Lymphatic cancer. We never even knew it. We figured he had it since he was a pup. We found out one week and the next we had to put him down. The vet told us though that Lymphatic cancer is one of the worse cancers out there for both man and dog alike. Cyrus was only 2 years old too, so it was a major shock to all of us. He started out by losing weight, this is what alerted us and took him to the vet. He was still eating at the beginning. His poor Lymph nodes were the size of golf balls. We put him on the predisone treatment and it did nothing for him. He was pretty far into the cancer. I think if you caught it early for your sweetie, he will be with you for quite some time. All I can say is enjoy your time with him.

My Girls~ Dixie and Addison
Old 01-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

I am sorry to hear about your baby. That is so hard to go through. Where is/was the hemangiosarcoma? It sounds like you are giving your best friend the life he deserves.
Watch his gums (assuming they arn't black pigment) to watch for anemia. They should be a healthy pink and when touched firmly should turn whitish briefly and then come back to pink within about 3 seconds. Since that is a blood vessel type of tumor, watch this along with general activity and appetite as your best quides for a reoccurence.
You are right, cancer is unpredictible. It use to floor me when I was with the vet that some little bleb could take a dog's life in a matter of months and some hot looking growth would never create a problem.
I am happy your best friend has someone like you to care for him when it matters most.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Big Dog

Like others have said all cancers are different. Enjoy the time you have with him and stay positive. I think the best way to know when your pup is done fighting is to pick 3 of his most favorite activities and when he no longer enjoys them then its time to let him go.

Sending prayers and hugs to you and your pup...

February is Adopt a Shelter Rabbit Month
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJinTexas
My Dog Cyrus had Lymphatic cancer. We never even knew it. We figured he had it since he was a pup. We found out one week and the next we had to put him down.
Similar experience for me. My boxer had lymphatic cancer. We found out and two weeks later, she was gone. It was so shocking and fast. But, she was very peaceful at the end. It has been about 4 years and I still miss her dearly. I finally brought myself to get another dog about 2 months ago and rescued two beagles. Hopefully now, she's watching over them.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Whippet Lover

lpollockandrsn, the hemangiosarcoma was on his spleen. It was about the size of a softball. It was removed on the 14 of December. He had a dose of chemo, but it was too toxic for him and he got very sick from it. The oncologist thought that if he got chemo again it might kill him, so of course we aren't doing it again. During the surgery, the vets didn't see any spread of the cancer. They took an x-ray of his heart and didn't see anything. We don't know what it's doing right now though.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

I am glad it was in a place that could be completely removed. I worked for a vet for 12 years that had a dobie of his own with that exact scenario, except hers was more like a football. She lived quite well for about another 6 months and then slowly started looking very tired and anemic when it came back. On the other hand I knew of another dobie (as a matter of fact) that had that same type of cancer in a kidney and lived for many more years after it was removed.

It sounds like you caught it early and even one dose of chemo has to help. I would be encouraged. Hopefully the chemo he had got any stray cells looking for a place to grow.

You might take him in once a month do have a PCV done. They would just take a tiny amount of blood and seperate it to check for anemia. The pushing on the gums test is a good one to do at home. This may help you watch for any return....
OR...
Don't look, don't watch for signs, just enjoy the time you have to the fullest. I am assuming neither you or he would choose to go through the surgery or recovery again if it came back, as it probably wouldn't be an option a second time. So ...why not just live everyday as if it were your last? True for all of us on any given day, sick or not...don't you think? Life is a blessing and friends make it more so.
No matter what happens, enjoy every day.