Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-21-2006, 01:34 PM
RedyreRottweilers

fuzz puppy, that is a very good question, and I will give you my reasons.

Tail docking done at a vets is a highly stressful event for bitches. It is so stressful for them I find it hard to describe. No matter HOW you sequester them out in the van, with radio blaring, or whatever, they always know that something is happening to their babies, and they get FRANTIC.

Plus it requires a trip to a veterinary office where diseases can be floating around everywhere in parkinglots, etc.

For me, tying the tails at home, with no stress to the mom is INFINITELY better. I tie tails on the second day if puppies are vigorous. Puppies do not seem to notice at all. I do it right before it's time for them to nurse, and then put them on the bitch.

In 48 to 72 hours, tails are gone.

There are no stitches for bitches to worry, altho some will lick the bands a lot. This is generally not a problem, it just helps keep everything clean.

Obviously it practically goes without saying that banding must be done properly, puppies' tails must be observed properly, and puppies must be kept in SCRUPULOUSLY clean quarters.

You also have to make sure the mom is keeping the baby rears very clean, and if not, you might have to help her.

As I keep VERY close tabs on my puppies for the first week, (I sleep in the room with them, and literally don't leave the room except to go to the kitchen and the bathroom. No showers or store trips unless someone else is there) I would know almost immediately if a problem was coming up.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:10 PM
bullie lover

Default An apology and another question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
fuzz puppy, that is a very good question, and I will give you my reasons.

Tail docking done at a vets is a highly stressful event for bitches. It is so stressful for them I find it hard to describe. No matter HOW you sequester them out in the van, with radio blaring, or whatever, they always know that something is happening to their babies, and they get FRANTIC...
Thank you for posting the how you do it Redyre. I realize now my "tone" was more harsh than it should have been. However, I do stand by my opinion that i don't like docking of tails (or ear crops) due to seeing the effects of what a bad docking/cropping looks like (and one was a rubber band one). But i was curious as to how it was done and why it is done at home vs going to the vet and at least having someone who *hopefully* knows what he is doing.

My one question is - wouldn't it be best for someone who isn't very familiar with tail docking to go to a vet until they learned the best ways to do so at home?

I apologize for my tone in my earlier message... it was uncalled for.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:22 PM
RedyreRottweilers

NP mojosen, it's hard to hear tone of voice here.

And yes, you need a mentor to teach you how to tie tails, so docking for those less experienced, or lacking someone to help, should have it done at the vet.

Ideally on the 3rd day, and no later than the 5th.