Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Active Pup

Default tail docking help

i have applied my rubber band on jack russell 4 day old dogs tail and has been in place for 2 days however the tail is bleeding around the banded area and i know to keep it very clean and sterile but i think that maybe the band is pinching the tail and causing it to cut in rather than just prevent the blood circulation, has this happened to anyone, my instinct is to remove the band but what is the outcome of both decisions hang in there and what will happen or cut of band???all advice is gratefully recieved
Old 01-21-2006, 11:44 AM
:( only one :(

Oh my!

I know nothing about banding a puppy's tail for a dock but I would think that a call to the vet would be the first thing I'd do if the tail started to bleed. Young puppies only a few days old can't afford to loose any blood. Again, this is just my opinion since I know nothing on the subject.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:44 AM
bullie lover

I have never ever understood docking by rubber band. I don't like docking to begin with... but jiminy... why use a rubber band? I'd like that explained please...
Old 01-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Active Pup

the term rubber band is been used rather loosly, it is a band which is sold by vets soley for the purpose of tail docking for all livestock and is applied with an elastisiser device
Old 01-21-2006, 12:38 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I do use rubber bands when I tie my tails. I usually tie before the 4th day, however.

I have never had bleeding around the band. You should consult your vet.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:40 PM
<------

If you didnt know what you were doing in the first place why in the right mind did you do it. Get the dog to a vet and make sure everything is alright

Last edited by CanadianK9; 01-21-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Active Pup

thank you for the reply redyre rottweilers and for the others who offer nothing more than unknowlegable, unqualified comments who know neither me nor my animals please express yourself where its needed, i am using this segment of the forum for its intent and purpose and if other members followed suit it would be a factual and helpful place to be!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:53 PM
<------

I dont mean to be rash or anything, but tail docking if your not sure what you are doing can be fatal for the puppies.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:57 PM
:( only one :(

Well, I never said anything against using a rubber band for docking. I've heard of it and have nothing against it but you'd think that if the tail was bleeding that the first thing I'd do, if I was the breeder, is to consult a vet BEFORE waiting on an internet forum for an answer.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Why not have your vet do it? Vets normally know what they're doing with docking and stuff like that. They're less likely to make a mistake, too.