Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Twin 2

I have nothing to add other than I'm glad you came out of lurkdome and have been posting! Please keep us updated on how it goes for you!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riobravo View Post
Thank you very much for all the advice. I do have Control Unleashed and have already started re-reading it. I've also been really interested in the Recallers work but haven't been able to find any more information on it or how to join?

I think a huge part of my problem is that I have to do most of this training on my own. There aren't very many positive trainers in the area and very few trainers I'm comfortable working with on this issue. My other issue is I have a hard time organizing my training and training goals. I start reading so many different things, get too many ideas, want to implement ALL the ideas, start feeling overwhelmed and then just don't do anything because I feel frustrated and overwhelmed. I really need to come up with a clear training plan that has measurable goals and stick with it.

I think Control Unleashed is probably where I need to focus on for now.

Thank you also for not making me feel like an awful person. I feel pretty bad having to admit that I have a connection issue with my dog but it's nice to know other people have experienced it also. He is a really nice dog and he's going to be a great team mate, we just need to work on connecting a bit better.

Thanks!
Sara
Here ya go, fill out the form and you'll get updates on when it opens etc.

http://www.brilliantrecalls.com/standby_pages/6380
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't call it a connection issue, as if you and your dog aren't jiving. That just makes you feel separate and less bonded. I think that's a mistake to look at it that way. To me, it's simply a deal where you have a young dog that is easily distracted and perhaps more motivated by his surroundings than he is with what's at hand ....very normal. He is inexperienced and has more education ahead of him. As you go through life together, you'll add a little more of this and a little more of that and just by the nature of things, you'll become more glued. And you'll hardly notice it happening. It just will. I would make smaller, shorter term goals and just enjoy working and playing with your dog instead of getting all bogged down with big, long term goals. Enjoy the journey and everything will come together.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Active Pup

I have a border collie also she is about twelve years old now. Still acts like shes a tough, strong, puppy! Border Collie's are great but I also remember when she was around the age of 2 that she was not as "connected" with the family. Border Collie's just have an urgency for curiousity. They feel as if they are protecting or herding you when other objects are around such as you were saying with fences and horses.

Treat's aren't even a simple trick anymore to having your dog run back to you! My dog used to run away all the time as a puppy - we would find her, yell her name over and over and she would look back..and keep running! We had no idea why she did this I think it is something with the breed they have a sense of freedom they need to run out of their system.

At night you can try to cozy up with your dog to give you both a sense of "connection". Remember to also maintain the good vs. bad traits. Such as telling your dog
no" if they are biting a table or "good dog" from listening to your command. This will also instill in your dog's mind that you are the Alpha! Border Collies are extremely smart! You need to show him that you are the boss, not them (also not in a mean physical way, more like a demand for them). Good luck!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

I love CU. You might also get Grisha Stewart's BAT book too, she's got a nice section in there on preventatives for pups/young dogs and appendices that include teaching loose leash and stuff.

I have Susan Garrett's book Shaping Success and I freaking love it! She goes all through her games like It's Yer Choice, working on recalls, play rewards, working under distractions and etc with her dog Buzzy. I've read it twice already since getting it.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

For online classes, check out Agility University: http://www.agility-u.com/

I just discovered them because of a Denise Fenzi course on play and motivation that they are doing. But a class structure might help if you're not very organized (I feel your pain there.) I second the SG class, too, I would totally take her online courses if I could afford them.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie Sun View Post
I have a border collie also she is about twelve years old now. Still acts like shes a tough, strong, puppy! Border Collie's are great but I also remember when she was around the age of 2 that she was not as "connected" with the family. Border Collie's just have an urgency for curiousity. They feel as if they are protecting or herding you when other objects are around such as you were saying with fences and horses.

Treat's aren't even a simple trick anymore to having your dog run back to you! My dog used to run away all the time as a puppy - we would find her, yell her name over and over and she would look back..and keep running! We had no idea why she did this I think it is something with the breed they have a sense of freedom they need to run out of their system.

At night you can try to cozy up with your dog to give you both a sense of "connection". Remember to also maintain the good vs. bad traits. Such as telling your dog
no" if they are biting a table or "good dog" from listening to your command. This will also instill in your dog's mind that you are the Alpha! Border Collies are extremely smart! You need to show him that you are the boss, not them (also not in a mean physical way, more like a demand for them). Good luck!

http://www.apdt.com/petowners/choose/dominance.aspx/

Most of the trainers and savvy dog owners on Chaz have long since gotten past the outdated, old school alpha, show 'em who's boss stuff. There is so much more known about dogs nowadays that clearly shows the irrelevance of that to dogs. And so many more effective and fun ways to train dogs than simply saying, "no" to them....and the like. The link above might give you some food for thought.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Nyx was a lot like you describe. A couple of things that really helped with her were the "Gimme a Break" game out of CU (since you have it already) and teaching her a really strong leave it/settle where she not only has to leave food/toys/my other dogs, but she has to roll over on one hip, lower her eyelids, slow her breathing before she can be rewarded.

Also, just a lot of work done in lower stimulus environments helped her understand that I was the path to all things good.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team