Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
How dare you ask that a parent be there to watch/pay attention to their kids
And kids don't need manners, either!

Say please if you want something. Say thank you if you get something whether you like it or not. If your kid can't say thank you, be there to say it with/for them.

If my kid is allergic to peanuts I'm not going to expect every household to stop giving candy with peanuts.

If my kid can't have gum or marshmallows because they have braces, I'm not going to tell people not to give those out. My child will be expected to say "thank you" and then obviously doesn't have to eat them.

Everything on that list can be handled with a parent to be there while Trick-or-Treating.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 10-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Nilif.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Well, I am just thankful I have fun neighbors who understand kids are kids, when overexcited and aroused they don't always put their best self forward. Model behavior you want but forcing it is not ok.
It takes like 2 seconds to say thanks.

Teach your children that their neighbors are opening their doors and GIVING you candy. THEY don't have to give it to you. In order to get it, you have to ask for it ("trick-or-treat") and then say "thanks" since you were GIVEN a treat.

Would you go to a store and let your kid just run out with a bag of candy just because they are over excited? No, you have to stop and pay for it. Why would you teach your kid that grabbing candy without saying thanks is acceptable?

Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
So you should be preemptive , have quite a few parents like here there too.
Hes 2. I shouldnt have to tell everyone we come across oh hes autistic and non verbal. I dont tell you how to parent dont tell me how to or try to parent MY child. (general you obviously)

I mean since its a dog forum Ill put it this way:

How would you like someone to take it upon themselves to train your dog when your there without asking you?

I feel the same about my kid.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
And kids don't need manners, either!

Say please if you want something. Say thank you if you get something whether you like it or not. If your kid can't say thank you, be there to say it with/for them.

If my kid is allergic to peanuts I'm not going to expect every household to stop giving candy with peanuts.

If my kid can't have gum or marshmallows because they have braces, I'm not going to tell people not to give those out. My child will be expected to say "thank you" and then obviously doesn't have to eat them.

Everything on that list can be handled with a parent to be there while Trick-or-Treating.
Having the parent there makes a WORLD of a difference. The parent can say thank you. The child may not say it but they see their parent doing it. You don't have to force a child to do something to show that it's right and polite.

AND this may be me being paranoid with my little cousins and nephew but I don't care how excited they are they don't run off to the next house. They stay with me or whatever adult the whole time. People are sick. And a lot of the sick people like to glorify Halloween. They aren't out of my eye sight/reach ever. Period.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Having the parent there makes a WORLD of a difference. The parent can say thank you. The child may not say it but they see their parent doing it. You don't have to force a child to do something to show that it's right and polite.

AND this may be me being paranoid with my little cousins and nephew but I don't care how excited they are they don't run off to the next house. They stay with me or whatever adult the whole time. People are sick. And a lot of the sick people like to glorify Halloween. They aren't out of my eye sight/reach ever. Period.
Exactly! My parents always made me stay with them- I wasn't allowed to just run off to the next house.

Again, this all just comes back to how parents should be supervising their kids.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Lab Love

Wowza, this thread shows one the of the reasons I do not hand out candy. I'm not a big fan of halloween, I could not care less. I don't like kids, is the majority of my reason. Especially rude ones, which there are a lot of.

So, I guess my only complaint is that don't knock/ring the bell when the houses' lights are off and there are no decorations that would suggest I'm handing out candy. Please and thanks.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

Mine are always with me, and as stated I do say thank you. (modeling appropriate behavior but not forcing it) I am not however going to decide what is appropriate for other parents, hell maybe they have anxiety and its hard enough for them to walk with their child door to door. I am just not going to worry about it...I will hand out candy with a smile regardless of whether I get a thank you from parent or child.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
So, I guess my only complaint is that don't knock/ring the bell when the houses' lights are off and there are no decorations that would suggest I'm handing out candy. Please and thanks.
I know a lot of people around this area started doing it because some of the people don't celebrate Halloween but don't want to be 'THAT' house so if kids come to their house even without lights or decorations they give money...

Old 10-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
Hes 2. I shouldnt have to tell everyone we come across oh hes autistic and non verbal. I dont tell you how to parent dont tell me how to or try to parent MY child. (general you obviously)

I mean since its a dog forum Ill put it this way:

How would you like someone to take it upon themselves to train your dog when your there without asking you?

I feel the same about my kid.
Preemptive as in say trick or treat for him when they answer the door, thank you after they give candy is what I meant xD

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13