Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
Default

Its supposed to be fun and for kids....its not about adults and what they want other peoples children to be. I just find it weird to be self righteous about Halloween. I love giving out candy, I love the excitement, I love the magic of it. I could care less if the kid is going to eat it, or if they dont say thank you, etc. Its ridiculous IMO to make "rules" about which kids deserve candy.

(and I personally do say thank you for my children if they dont, but I would NEVER expect it...to me expecting and demanding it is more rude than not giving it in the first place)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 PM
darkchild16's Avatar
darkchild16 darkchild16 is offline
We are Home.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 21,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Yep, your kid can't say thank you for whatever reason? Say it for them, as the parent. Show some appreciation - - your child is not entitled to the candy just because they exist. People don't HAVE to give them candy.

I've never had a problem with kids not saying please and/or Thank you.... Probably because I ask the child to say it, and if they can't, I've never had a parent get upset about it - - they just say "s/he's non-verbal/other language/whatever"

But yes, I am that butch that expects your kid to have manners if they can, and if you as a parent aren't going to teach them that, I will while they're getting free **** from me.
Asking Morgan to say it ends up sometimes causing a melt down so I actually would be upset if someone asked him. He gets frustrated with it and either takes it out on him, throws a tantrum or takes it out on me.

ETA: I obviously wouldnt tell the person that but I would stew quietly LOL.
__________________

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie



Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 PM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Saying thanks doesnt mean they actually mean it btw. I would much rather a kid feel grateful even if they don't show it then just say thanks because its routine.
They're getting candy for free- them saying thank you SHOULD be sincere.

My sister and I always said thanks when someone gave us something- it's just manners. When kids become functioning adults they're expected to say "thanks" even they don't really mean it. I mean, I can go through self checkout at the grocery store and sometimes it's quicker than having a cashier ring me up. Should I stop saying "thank you" when a cashier hands me a receipt because I don't reaaaaallly mean it? No, because then I'd be a rude customer.

If your kid feels grateful on the inside, than you should especially say "thanks" and be sincere. No one HAS to give free candy out.

I'm not talking about kids with different circumstances, however, I do think a parent SHOULD be with them to say thanks for them.
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Psyfalcon Psyfalcon is offline
Fishies!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,344
Default

I disagree that its a teachable moment! For many kids they're way over the top excited and it is going in one ear and out the other. Its like taking your Labrador to the dog park once a year and wondering why they're acting like an idiot :P

Sure, its nice if the parents can prompt them before they run off, but honestly I'm just glad they don't start bawling because someone told the overly shy kid to say please and thank you.
__________________
Buster
PhotoBlog
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post

I'm not talking about kids with different circumstances, however, I do think a parent SHOULD be with them to say thanks for them.
The point is you dont know which kids have different circumstances.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
Asking Morgan to say it ends up sometimes causing a melt down so I actually would be upset if someone asked him. He gets frustrated with it and either takes it out on him, throws a tantrum or takes it out on me.
So you should be preemptive , have quite a few parents like here there too.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
The point is you dont know which kids have different circumstances.
Exactly- that's why their parents or an adult should be with them to help.
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:31 PM
yoko's Avatar
yoko yoko is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Exactly- that's why their parents or an adult should be with them to help.
How dare you ask that a parent be there to watch/pay attention to their kids
__________________
Thank you Vivien and Angel Chicken for the siggy! Also I have been frosted!!! And as of 9/13/07 I know the secret handshake!


Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
Default

Well, I am just thankful I have fun neighbors who understand kids are kids, when overexcited and aroused they don't always put their best self forward. Model behavior you want but forcing it is not ok.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-28-2012, 02:35 PM
yoko's Avatar
yoko yoko is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,320
Default

And I'm glad to live in an area that understands that manners are important regardless of age.
__________________
Thank you Vivien and Angel Chicken for the siggy! Also I have been frosted!!! And as of 9/13/07 I know the secret handshake!


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site