Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM
We are Home.

Default Something my cousin posted on FB about Halloween

With Halloween upon us, please keep in mind, a lot of little people will be visiting your home. Be accepting. The child who is grabbing more than one piece of candy may have poor fine motor skills. The child who takes forever to pick out one piece of candy may have motor planning issues. The child who does not say "trick or treat" or "thank you" may be non-verbal. The child who looks disappointed when they see your bowl, might have an allergy. The child who isn't wearing a costume at all might have a sensory issue (SPD) or autism. Be nice. Be patient. Its everyone's Halloween.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

What about the 16 year old "child" who shows up with no costume on and says, "Really? That's it? Your candy sucks," and grabs a fistful before walking away? That was last year.

I'm going to go all "Modern Family" on them if it happens this year

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/modern-.../_m_VD55242118

The little guys I totally take pity on. But anyone over the age of 12 or so better be dressed up and polite! Halloween is for small children. If you're going to participate as a teenager, you'd better participate--not just be begging for free candy.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
What about the 16 year old "child" who shows up with no costume on and says, "Really? That's it? Your candy sucks," and grabs a fistful before walking away? That was last year.
Happens here all the time. It's been super awkward handing out candy to people my own age. Most of the time they're not dressed up or appreciative and just walk around with a massive pillowcase full of candy. One time a couple girls from my brother's grade came around (not dressed up of course) and he was like 'wtf, aren't you a little old to be trick or treating?' They were so uncomfortable it was hilarious. They would have been about eighteen or nineteen.

But yeah, we're always patient with the kids. My mother and brother are into Halloween way more than I am, so they deal with that.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Or the parents who go trick or treating with their 6 month old baby. Because you know, the infant really enjoys the candy.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:02 PM
We are Home.

Im sorry but comparing those people to what the message is about really is NOT funny. You have no clue how many people have been downright rude to me and/or Morgan because he will NOT say Please or Thank you. For a while I tried to prompt him to but its not doing anything to help him and just frustrating me more and really made interactions between him and others painful for me. Now I get dirty looks because I dont prompt him when its useless and discourages us both more. Ive had people downright call me lazy for not teaching him manners.

I'm not saying thats how yall act in that case but making light of it just stings. Maybe I am touchy about it but it's a big deal to our family. I've had quite a few sleepless nights lately about Halloween. I have one whos terrified of people trying to scare her and one who god knows how he will act.

If I could I would skip it but I have a 4 year old who has been asking everyone for trick or treat for the past month or so....

Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Top Dog

Maybe this is something people should consider every day, and not just on Halloween

As far as older kids going out trick or treating on Halloween, I could care less. If they're coming to your house for candy with no costume at 2pm, that's kind of obnoxious, but if they're showing up at 8 or 9 at night when most of the little ones are winding down and most people have PLENTY of left over candy, who cares? If they're knocking on my door asking for candy, it means they're not getting drunk and driving through my neighborhood or vandalizing houses or assaulting other kids.

Here, it's not at all uncommon for kids to trick-or-treat into their earlier college days...18 or 19, even 20.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Or the parents who go trick or treating with their 6 month old baby. Because you know, the infant really enjoys the candy.
My mom buys little boxes of animal crackers or bagged cookies for the infants and really little toddlers. I think in that case it's more for the parents to show off their kid's cuteness and get out of the house than it is for trick-or-treating

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-28-2012, 01:17 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
My mom buys little boxes of animal crackers or bagged cookies for the infants and really little toddlers. I think in that case it's more for the parents to show off their kid's cuteness and get out of the house than it is for trick-or-treating
this. Plus sometimes you dont want to wait the next year to do the fun parent/kid stuff LOL. We took Bev her first Halloween but we didnt actually go up to houses we just walked around with her and she had a good time even for a 7-8 mth old.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

Do you have people in your area who know Morgan and would be understanding that you could visit with the kids? It is awful that anyone would react that way to a child, but as you clearly have seen, it happens. The kids pretty much get a free ride here; my mother was an elementary school teacher and is unfailingly patient with them. It's Halloween - I'm not sure I'd even assume there was something 'different' about a kid who didn't react as we expect. So many kids seem overwhelmed or wound up or stressed.

Quote:
The little guys I totally take pity on. But anyone over the age of 12 or so better be dressed up and polite! Halloween is for small children. If you're going to participate as a teenager, you'd better participate--not just be begging for free candy.
We had two boys last year or the year before who were at least 16. My mother still politely held out the bowl of full-sized chocolate bars she hands out. One of the boys asked "Is that your dog?" pointing behind her. When she glanced back, they grabbed huge handfuls and ran down the street. A$$holes like that aren't even remotely in the same ballpark as kids who really just need a bit of patience and understanding, obviously.

First time in my life I'd wished Meg were a Mal or something. I'd have opened the door and let her run after them.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Its hard...my daughter, well she has issues saying please, thank you, etc. She can be very shy and anxious but it comes across as rude and spoiled It can be so hard when other people judge having no idea what is actually going on.

My one brother still trick or treats...he is 28. He is very short but with full goatee does not look like a child even though mentally he is. He can only walk to a couple houses to luckily they know him but still.....people sometimes suck. Its cheap candy, just give it out