Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 01-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Is it Halloween yet?

Thanks for having a little faith, GlassOnion.

I wouldn't steer you guys wrong...and I wouldn't post up a program that I personally have never used.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:54 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!! I need all the help i can get i am a computer eeejit

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Super-Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martoch
While I can appreciate your caution, I assure you that these are all good programs...well wait a minute, why am I telling you? You should know that already, so why would you even make a comment like that? At least read through my thread to see if I'm just posting up spam or trying to advertise my own products...which I'm not. Do you disagree with anything I've posted? If so, please share your thoughts.
Nice try to box me in....

It is nothing personal, sorry if you feel it is. I am a professional and as such I do not need software to help me keep my systems clean. As for talking to those who cannot do these things on their own (which, there is nothing wrong with not being able to do so, much in the way I need to take my cars to a mechanic) I would simply offer this one piece of advice to chew on...

As with all things in technology, you get what you pay for. There are rare exceptions, (Firefox being one of the BEST), but in my experience FREE software, sucks.

I guess I am somewhat of a computer snob, but I make my living doing this. It is also hard for me to think about having to worry JUST about one PC, I have a massive network to keep humming.

Quote:
I'm simply just trying to offer free help to the folks that have helped us tremendously with our new puppy.
This sounds JUST like a lot of spam emails I have seen....

Quote:
Oh, and this is the fire hydrant by the way...
Discuss anything non-pet related here!
I know... But you missed my point. Think about it....

Again, please do not take any of this personally. I am a cynic when it comes to computers because EVERYONE says they are an expert and in my experience, that generally means... "I know how to turn one on".
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Is it Halloween yet?

You're welcome! If any of you need help with settings of those programs, please let me know...I'll do my best to walk you through the basics.

Puckstop31, YGPM.

Here's a link to a good free online virus scanner...you can use it in conjunction with your antivirus program for additional protection.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Old 01-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Super-Genius

Jeebus people.... I offered ADVICE. Decent advice if you think about it for a second.

If it makes you feel better, I can start being judgemental. Just lemme know.

Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:06 PM
DILLIGAF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martoch
FYI, if you're currently using Norton...I (along with all of my computer buds) HIGHLY recommend you uninstall it right now and install either Avast or AVG. Norton is not free, it misses viruses all of the time (I've seen it dozens of times), and it's a resource hog.
I know all about that. lol Our main computer went down because norton missed a virus. It was bad enuff that I had to wipe the drive and install my OS again.

As for that spysweeper I think that it is crap. I used it for awhile I found out that it takes away power from your computer and takes forever to scan both hard drives.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Is it Halloween yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop31
Nice try to box me in....
I believe I was the one backed into a corner.

Quote:

I am a professional and as such I do not need software to help me keep my systems clean.
Then this info is not for you.

Quote:
As with all things in technology, you get what you pay for. There are rare exceptions, (Firefox being one of the BEST), but in my experience FREE software, sucks.
A lot of free software does suck, but these are tried and tested over time by computer experts such as yourself.

Quote:

I guess I am somewhat of a computer snob
You're something, that's for sure.

Quote:
Again, please do not take any of this personally. I am a cynic when it comes to computers because EVERYONE says they are an expert and in my experience, that generally means... "I know how to turn one on".
I didn't take it personally, I just took you for a goofy goober.

Quote:
Jeebus people.... I offered ADVICE.
Oh great, now we're all 'Jesus people'???
J/K!
Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Active Pup

Well, you can understand how when I perceive my husband being attacked, I get defensive. Besides, he was doing just what you claim to be doing..........giving advice.

Anyway, no harm, no foul.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

I've used housecall before, it's legit.

I post here, on some motorcycle forums, and on a different forum and know all about low post count people and their 'offers'.

But I also have parents who both teach computers at the college level so a lot of this stuff kind of wears off on me whether I want it or not. That and I've heard of most of these programs already from various areas (said forums above, for instance).

I highly doubt any of those programs are malignant, and if they are, well I guess I'm a fool then.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 01-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Is it Halloween yet?

You're no fool, I appreciate you taking the time to look over the info before posting.

Anyway...back on topic!

Here's a very easy to follow home networking tutorial...this is probably one of the most common issues on the computer forum.
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp