Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Gosh, that's exactly what Elsie looks like when she's working out what I want from her. She's not scattered while she's thinking; she's very deliberate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9FdNuobnjE&feature=plcp

Thank you so much for posting the video! I really enjoyed it.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
I posted this on another forum and a bunch of people said the dog looked bored and lacked enthusiasm.
At first I sort of thought I saw that. But the more I watched, the more I realized I'm not used to a dog just slowing down and deliberately THINKING. I'm also not used to slow(er) dogs.

Zane does everything at mach 4, so once I took out that comparison, I saw more.

I think if the dog was bored, it wouldn't be doing this. There was a few times it seemed to get distracted, but overall the dog WAS engaged, and it had the option to not be. It just wasn't incredibly goofy like I would expect a Zaner or a Mia to be.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Yeah, Keeva can get very methodical when shaping. You can practically see the wheels turning.

Or she can have a spaz attack and just keep insisting that what she's doing must be right and then BARK BARK BARK. lol

Anyway, the vid is AWESOME. I love the idea of teaching concepts, I've got to start experimenting with that.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Too bad I can***8217;t link these replies there LOL
Right now I***8217;m a one-man show saying deliberate does not = bored.
One person said its a perfect example of over training. Huh???
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

My only complaint is that you can't see the handler. In a couple areas the dog looks in the direction the handler is, as if looking for confirmation... but we don't know because we can't see.

Great concept, regardless.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh no, I don't think the dog is bored at all. More of laughing at the difference between that dog and my dog and the way they approach shaping.

Mia is deliberate. And fast. My problem is I often don't keep up with her and miss her doing the correct response, then she gets frustrated. When she's frustrated it goes to hell very quickly.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

To me, the dog's somewhat "lackluster" (as I've heard some call it) behavior has more to do with the fact that he's a Terv... and they're generally calmer, more deliberate dogs, at least the ones I've met. If that were a BC, you'd probably hear some barking or whining, but that wouldn't mean the dog is "stressed" persay, just anything involving a ball will make most BCs overly excited. Plus, my BCs love to learn but often get frustrated with repetition. To be entirely honest, I am most impressed with this dog's ability to continue the behavior after so many repetitions, unless of course they edited film together, but I can say with some certainty that my dogs would not have been able to stay focused that long.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Top Dog

That's a seriously cool video. However, those box clickers make me want to claw my eardrums out - ouch. Lol. I noticed the deliberation of the dog too, but mostly because I WANT that (or some of that) in Mu. She moves at super speed when we're shaping and if I'm not quick enough she just gets stuck in an endless loop and both of us get frustrated. I'd love to have some of that focus and concentration on her part.

As for the embedding thing, you can only embed video in the Pictures section. That's why the training thread is stickied over there.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Top Dog

No, the dog is definitely focused on the job at hand...and deliberate...thinking. She just seems to look as if the game has gone on long enough. Or maybe that's just me projecting. lol. If she were bored, she'd probably be looking around at other things, getting side tracked and she's not, except maybe once she kind of hesitated and was looking at something.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

I decided to work on this behavior, just for fun. Don't know how far I'll get. I decided to start by teaching the dogs to put the ball in something. I have videos up in the photos section of our 3rd session of that, because I find them so hilarious.