Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Active Pup

Default Stop weeing

Dudley, my staffy, wont stop weeing. He lives in my bedroom and whenever I come home he's left me a lovely present...solid and liquid usually. Lovely. He's about 11 months old and I'm pretty sure he know sthat he's not allowed to do it inside. He'll never do it when I'm around, but as soon as leave him he's at it again. He was abandoned and I was thinking maybe it's something to do with how he was treated as a baby. I've realy tried everything and nothing has worked. Can anyone help
Old 11-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Felurian

This is unusual. Dogs don't typically want to soil their own areas. First, has he been neutered yet? That will help with the urge to mark his territory. Next, clean the flooring thoroughly with an odor removing agent; I'd suggest one specifically for pet odors. Then, you'll need to restrict his water and food intake before and during the time you're away. You might even try checking into one of those self feeders that will release a specific amount of food at a set time and let him eat 10 or 15 minutes before you normally get home.

Someone here (sorry, I wish I could remember who it was so I could give them the proper credit!) also had a wonderful suggestion for this problem. Get angry at the "present." Scold it, yell at it, and make sure your dog sees you doing it. Give him the impression that you intensely dislike the stuff.

You might have to consider confining him to a smaller area, like the bathroom, when you are gone since that decreases his area and should deter him some.

And, perhaps most importantly, praise him like mad when he does his business outside. Make it a big deal so he'll want to hold it and get the positive attention for going where he's supposed to go.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Active Pup

I do ALL of that, apart from the getting angry at a poo bit. He hasn't been neutered but I don't think that's the problem cos when he goes, HE GOES, and I thought that when dogs mark their territory, they do so with a little squirt on something. This is a big puddle and his whole breakfast.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Puppy Dog

How long does he have to wait for you to come home? Is it a 8 hour day? Does he do it even if you leave him alone for a couple of hours?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:40 AM
Active Pup

I could leave him for half an hour and there will be a wee waiting for me, or I could leave him the whole day and sometimes there'll be nothing. I work from home so I'm around a lot of the time.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Felurian

Hmmm. From that last post, it sounds like he may be doing it to get your attention.

Try this, when he does it, show it to him, then - without making a fuss - just tell him it was bad in a stern voice and put him in a separate room (like the bathroom or a laundry room that's relatively safe) and leave him there for awhile. There's nothing worse than banishment.

Maybe when he gets the idea that this kind of behaviour isn't going to get him any attention at all he'll stop.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Active Pup

I'll try it. The only thing is he will never do it when I'm around so I don't find it till a lot later.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Felurian

They're smart enough to know what you're talking about if you show it to them. Don't let him fool you.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Puppy Dog

I was thinking if he is weeing in the house to check for a urinary infection,but that wouldn't give us a reason for the solids. He is doing both right?
Old 11-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Active Pup

Yeah he's doing both. I'm pretty sure his waterworks are ok.