Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-18-2006, 11:29 PM
LovesAdrienne

Default Swimming Pool Drains.. scary!!

Call me crazy or whatever but Im am so frightened of pool drains. Especially those huge square grate ones at the bottom of diving pools. They look like they'll suck you in if you get close enough. Im a swimmer. I love swimming but I stay as far away from pool drains as much as possible, big or small, they all scare me. I avoid swimming over them. If there's a drain in my lap lane they I'll swim in a different one. Crazy I know. Anyone else have this phobia?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

I do. I'm scared of anything like that. My biggest fear is being stuck suspended in space with no walls, ceiling, floor, nothing, and the feeling of weightlessness and the look of having 'nothing' but more water around doesn't help.

I'm not afraid of swimming, I love swimming, but something about the drains just triggers a "get away" response.

That and I've heard stories about girls getting their hair stuck in the drains and drowning. I'm not a girl nor do I have hair long enough for it to be an issue but still, maybe...a leg hair or something.....

Edit: By the way this is just swimming underwater near them. If I'm just swimming over them then they don't bother me but if I'm just chilling out on the bottom of the pool (ya know, having a tea party or lounging about) then they get to me.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
LovesAdrienne

Quote:
I'm not afraid of swimming, I love swimming, but something about the drains just triggers a "get away" response.
Same here. I was at a hotel pool and next to the hotel pool was the jacuzi and linked to the jacuzi from the pool was a undergound pipe that piped the warm water into the jacuzi and vise versa. So there's this whole in the wall of the pool underwater, and if you stuck your hand on it the suction was so great that it would suck your hand in. The hole was probably the size of a half dollar so it wouldnt be able to suck an adults hand in, maybe a childs or babies, but still.. the suction was so great that it startled you.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:19 AM
<------

Im not afraid of them at all, but I have heard of others that have a wierd fear of them.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Fila Love

The only time I am afraid of my pool drain is if someone has lost jewelry in my pool. Then I worry. lol
Old 01-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Corgi bum

Doesn't sound crazy to me at all.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Taco Dog

I am terrified of those things. I saw an episode of Rescue 911 once where a girl got her hair caught in one and drowned. That sparked my phobia.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 01-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Corgi bum

Yes...we had a little girl almost drown here last summer from the same sort of thing. Very scary!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:56 PM
no touchy

Yup I'm scared of the drains too
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:23 PM
I W A L R

Beware the drains! I read a story in my book (Chicken Soup for the Preteen Soul) and it has a girl and both her sisters drowned because of going swimming without an adult at a town pool and their feet both got stuck in the drain because they were racing underwater... It took almost an hour to get them both out.. BEWARE! lol almost everybody is scared of pool drains I also have another weird phobia that involves a pool... have you ever gone swimming in your pool (or somebody else's pool, for that matter), and looked in the shady part on the pool and think a shark is going to come and eat you up, leaving the pool a bloody mess?