Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 02-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Shirley from Malaysia

ok.thanks.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:30 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i wrote this all out and then somehow lost it!
Shyeow, making the shading lines go the direction of the hair or feathers is something my teacher in jr college told me to do and she was right! my drawing were instantly better. If i want a solid shade of grey i take my penciil and lightly go in circles so there are no "lines" ..sometimes you want lines so cross hatching can work too but i really don't like to use it for animals..better for buildings and stone.
By turning the picture upside down and studying it (when you are working off of a photo) this allows the right side of your mind to show you what is really there and not just the symbol the left side of your brain offers up. IT is an old trick and one i use especially if i am stumped, or if i am having trouble with foreshorting..allows you to see it objectively!
I told Richie that a great way to get a feel for shading is to take a paper that has a tint..i practiced on grocery sacks..the brown paper ones until i felt i knew what i was doing before i started buying the more expensive tinted papers. You use a white pencil or piece of chalk to put in your whitest highlights and then a dark pencil or charcoal for your darkest..then work your way toward each other letting the paper take care of all your midtones. If i wasn't swallowed up with rock orders ..sigh...i would love to try Russell with a reddish conte on a brownish paper..then white pencil or chalk for his white. I think that would be very appealing with his coloring! I am so happy someone is letting me share what i have learned along the way. My children could care less growing up, had no interest at all..thought Aaron had the ability, without passion it goes nowhere. Hyia doesn't seem to have much interest either..so my grandson Jory is my next hope! My friends here too aren't interested.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,