Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Owned by Belgians

Default BIG dogs

Has anybody else noticed recently there seems to be a trend towards BIG dogs?

It seems like a lot of people are getting Mastiffs of some sort, or the Newfie, St. Bernard, Great White Pyrenese breeds these days. In my neighborhood there's a new Saint Bernard,and also some kind of Mastiff. My one neighbor had a Newfie and ended up rehoming it before it was one year old.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Top Dog

I've always wanted a newfie. I'm still hoping I'll get one one day (I'll probably look at rescues first). But no, I haven't noticed more of them around, sadly lol.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Somebody in my neighborhood recently got a Neo Mastiff... They have NO IDEA what they're doing... and then I saw a Fila at PetSmart the other day. LOL.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

I would LOVE an Irish wolfhound.

I just had a client call about her new pup-- a great pyr/ st Bernard mix.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Opposite for me personally, I have ALWAYS been a Dane girl I cut my teeth on them so to speak with showing and training. While getting more into the dog world as an adult has made it clear that though I love the bigger guys they just dont fit into what I want in a dog.

But recently the bigger is better trend is getting popular here to X2 if its a rare breed.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Big Dog

The big dog trend peaked around my area about a year or two ago. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing some sort of large or giant breed. Kijiji was also flooded with large/giant dog litters.

Now a lot of those dogs are gone (the owners still live around here, you just don't see the dogs anymore) and we have an influx of small dogs in the neighborhood.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Felurian

I think part of it is that people feel less secure -- a large dog brings a sense of protection, whether the dog is truly protective or not. Just the presence of a large dog can make a difference, or make us feel that way.

Also, it's beginning to be more known that big dogs ARE easy house dogs.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

I don't see many big dogs around here, a couple of Danes, but my Pyr is the biggest I see and people freak out when they see her because she's so big.

I got her out of a sense of protectiveness, it was our main reasoning, we were military back then and my husband was gone all the time, so having a huge dog made me feel more secure I love the pyr because of their protectiveness and the fact that they are amazing family dogs <3
Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

I've noticed an increase in Danes and big hairy dogs recently. Within the last year or so, I'd say. I think all breeds and types of dogs eventually go through their stages. Doesn't help that there is a byb around here that regularly breeds St. Bernards, St. Bernard/Newf and St. Bernard/Leonberger mixes.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Fishies!

The small dog trend was big. Really big. Some of it is probably just that waning.

I'm still getting a Newf or a St. one of these days. Depends on where I am living though as to which!