Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

Default How hard is it to get a vet tech job?

So,

I am about to type up a résumé specifically for taking to all the veterinarians in my town. I know several of you have been or are vet techs. How hard was it for you to get your job?

I'm 21 years old and the only real FORMAL job I have in the pet field is a dog bathing job I had at PetSmart. The rest of my formal work history is retail.

However, I did work as a volunteer at a vet between ages 12-16 and when I was 19 for a little while. I doubt the vet has any record of it, though, as they have since changed locations and vets. Would that be a plus? I'm going to include it in my résumé. I also worked at a stable from ages 14-17. I'm going to include that as well. Not sure what references I could use... Any if you guys want to volunteer for the job? Lol!

And of course I foster as often as I can for rescues and helped run a rescue that shut down a few months ago. (The founder didn't want to do it anymore... She only lasted about 6 months.)

So yeah... How hard is it? Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Active Pup

It is very difficult to go right into a technician position with no experience. Normally you would start in the kennel and work your way up, I started when I was 14 and have been a technician for about 12 years now. But if you can find a veterinarian willing to train you it might not be a problem. Good Luck with your job search!!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Felurian

The stable experience might give you an edge at a vet's office where they also do large animal work.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

Well, I guess I should rephrase that from "vet tech job" to "job at a vet". Lol. Any entry level position is fine, too.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

I think it's kind of a hit or miss thing. I know vet techs who have bachelor degrees and formal training as a vet tech and can never find a job.

My younger brother went to the local vet's office when he was 17, and said he was interested in going to vet school and could he just help out or hang out for a few days to see what it was like. He got hired as a tech a week later and trained on the job. Now he's been there over a year and assists with surgeries, gives vaccines, draws blood, etc. and makes well over minimum wage.

I do know a few people who have their associates degree as a veterinary technician, and they got hired right away.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Around here the techs graduate with a job offer because they are working at clinics or in the university labs and people already know them.
Other than that, it's hit or miss. I've applied at a few vet's offices to be receptionist/assistant and didn't get a phone call... and I have almost a decade of receptionist experience plus all my dog experience. Maybe they think I am over qualified or something. I know a lot of other folks who try to get their foot in the door and end up working at the local shelter for $8/hr just to get something to put on the resume to see if that helps... so far it hasn't helped anybody... =/ but I think part of it is the economy is down and the pet industry is whimpering along a bit...

Draft up a cover letter highlighting all your experience. That will probably speak more than your resume.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 PM
orange iguanas.

I had a very hard time finding a tech job, and that was with an associates degree and certification. Took me a year to land one, and the only reason it was offered to me was because I was already working at that clinic as a kennel assistant, and had been for 3 years.

Getting the kennel assistant job was easier but most places I applied to wanted you to be a vet/vet tech student. But, we have a few colleges in the area with vet tech programs so that allows clinics to be pickier like that.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

It depends on your area I would think. I would point out the rescue work and if you can, continue to volunteer in that sort of thing. Spay and neuter clinics for example, I've spent two days assisting with surgeries and talking to multiple vets at the same time - and know which ones I'd not want to work for! Also if you drive and can, volunteer for a rescue to transport to and from the vet clinic - pick up the pet, take it to the appointment, meet the vet, take it back. Gets you in the door more and then you can bring in a resume and they'd know who the heck you were over someone who has never come in before.

I think with most places they'd want someone who is a hard worker and good with animals over the 'puppies r cute' types people who may not stomach surgery or dog vomit on them.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Big Dog

Generally it depends on where you are and the type of clinic. Here in WA you can go to school and become certified and pretty much work where ever you want. Personally, I started out as an assistant and worked my way up in a clinic that taught me tech work and let me learn on the job through experience. Now because I'm old, I work the front desk because the tech/assistant work on a day to day basis is too hard on my body. Some clinics will only hire certified techs and some don't care. No matter where you work in the clinic is darn hard work, whether you're wrangling clients or pets.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

Pm me where your at. I'm a RVT here in Louisiana, and maybe I could help.