Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Top Dog

Yes. He likely happened upon it by accident, but if he's that smart, he could have figured out how to replicate it.

I haven't had an escape artist (thankfully!) But my bitch, Tully, learned to unscrew the lid of the Vittles Vault to help herself to kibble.

this, if anyone is unfamiliar with one:

The lid has to be rotated several times before it comes off. Once she figured out how to open it, and I determined it was not because I'd forgotten to tighten the lid, I started storing it behind a door where she couldn't reach it. So, she opened the lid of the cat food Vittles Vault, which was a different shape, but the same kind of lid.

So, I put that in a cupboard. But since she already knew how to open the cupboard, I tried to secure it by putting a dog collar through the handles. She could chew through the collar, but wasn't a chewer, so I thought it would work. And she didn't chew the collar. She bit the plastic buckle in half, removed the collar, opened the cupboard, removed the Vittles Vault, unscrewed the lid, and ate a couple bites of cat food. Just to prove to me that she was smarter, as far as I can tell.

Do not underestimate your dog!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Yep. Totally possible. Zander can open doors, gate latches, and knows how the garage door opens. He can open cabinets, drawers, kennel doors, remove other dog's flat buckle collars, and...well, you get the idea.

Smart dogs are smart. Nothing is "proofed" past their intelligence, they just keep learning.

The best I can suggest is try to find something more secure that doesn't give way to a steep learning curve of things he's already figured out.
A padlock? lol
Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

There was that time we got a new fence, buried it 2 feet down in the yard, laid a two foot wide area of bricks at the base of the fence, cemented it, and covered it back up with dirt.

Took Milo less than 15 minutes to dig down to the bricks, backwards to the end of the bricks, and halfway under them. He did, however, not *quite* make it to the other side.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
There was that time we got a new fence, buried it 2 feet down in the yard, laid a two foot wide area of bricks at the base of the fence, cemented it, and covered it back up with dirt.

Took Milo less than 15 minutes to dig down to the bricks, backwards to the end of the bricks, and halfway under them. He did, however, not *quite* make it to the other side.
I love me some smart dogs, but they are sure harder to live with!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

My husky could. She could get herself wrapped on a tree and it would usually open or rub right on the ground. Any kind of snap.

We have not tied her out for years now.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Top Dog

It wouldn't surprise me if he did figure out how, either by accident or on purpose. Smart dogs can be trouble.

I know the dalmatian we had growing up had figured out how to open the kennel door. She would not go over or under the fence, it was always through the way she came in. My dad tried a bolt in the hole both ways, a clip similar to what is on the end of a leash. He ended up using a padlock to keep the door shut.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Top Dog

Another thing, if he's getting off the tie-out and it's the same clasp as your leash, watch for that. You said his recall's pretty good but IDK how he is with other dogs or traffic or whatever, but if there's any real risk you might want to hook him up with a second clasp.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Bamm and Cricket have unsnapped regular clip leashes multiple times. Usually if they twist a certain way when leashed they can get the snap to pop off their collar.

One day I was walking the dogs and hadn't realized that Cricket had unsnapped the leash from her collar. I must have been off in my own world or something. Anyways, I Bamm stopped to sniff something in the grass which jerked my attention back to the real world. I noticed the end of Cricket's leash was unoccupied. Moment of freak out. I frantically started looked for her and turned around to see her trotting down the road with her little prancy trot just proud as she can be that she outwitted me. Punk. Thank goodness she has a pretty decent recall.

That's why I LOVE my Northern Blackout leads that have the locking alligator snaps.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Walks into Mordor

That's a good point on the leash clips. I might have to see about getting a different kind of leash.

Why is it always Voodoo? Oh well. At least he does his best to keep me from being bored.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
That's a good point on the leash clips. I might have to see about getting a different kind of leash.

Why is it always Voodoo? Oh well. At least he does his best to keep me from being bored.
I mean... His name is Voodoo......
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle