Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCrafty View Post
This is why I won't be participating in any breed boards if I/we should get a dog someday. I just want a dog. As long as he or she is healthy, I don't care whether or not he or she doesn't have a certain eye color or has a smudge of white where it should be tan.
Not all breed groups are like what is being talked about here. Popular breeds with a big split though, the discussion groups tend to be as split as the dogs. Of course, in those breeds there often are discussion groups to fit whatever you happen to enjoy about the breed, so it can all even out

The PyrShep groups and the main Belgian group are open to everyone with a PyrShep or Belgian (of any sort) from anywhere and no matter what you do with your dog.

I understand people who want BCs preserved as working dogs above all else. But I also understand people who want to compete with their dog in more modern games and want dogs from lines who are proven in those areas. I think there's room for everyone. I don't believe in more popular breeds that show/performance breeders are "ruining" the breed. If working BCs cease to exist, it won't be because of show/sport breeders but because the BC is no longer needed for work due to times and people's needs changing. As it is, the fact that there are show/performance or even pet bred BCs doesn't really affect the working population any more than American showline GSDs affect what working bred GSDs. The show/performance breeders outcross to working lines but the reverse is almost never true, so the idea that the show dogs would "water down" the working population just doesn't make much sense.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
Sorry. But a border collie in the show ring isn't a border collie IMO.
Well, my dogs don't transform into a different being when I go into the show ring. They are the same dog in the show ring and in the field, I just have to wash them before a show and wash them after a day of herding In fact, Sadie's son went from getting his Herding Championship one weekend and a major the next. It happens, its just not super common anymore.

With that being said, I don't really care if someone breeds for show wins. It doesn't affect my life. I don't personally do it, but with that said I care less about why someone's breeding dogs and more about how they're doing it.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Not all breed groups are like what is being talked about here. Popular breeds with a big split though, the discussion groups tend to be as split as the dogs. Of course, in those breeds there often are discussion groups to fit whatever you happen to enjoy about the breed, so it can all even out

The PyrShep groups and the main Belgian group are open to everyone with a PyrShep or Belgian (of any sort) from anywhere and no matter what you do with your dog.

I understand people who want BCs preserved as working dogs above all else. But I also understand people who want to compete with their dog in more modern games and want dogs from lines who are proven in those areas. I think there's room for everyone. I don't believe in more popular breeds that show/performance breeders are "ruining" the breed. If working BCs cease to exist, it won't be because of show/sport breeders but because the BC is no longer needed for work due to times and people's needs changing. As it is, the fact that there are show/performance or even pet bred BCs doesn't really affect the working population any more than American showline GSDs affect what working bred GSDs. The show/performance breeders outcross to working lines but the reverse is almost never true, so the idea that the show dogs would "water down" the working population just doesn't make much sense.
Agreed

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I can only imagine.
I joined the BCboard for about...37 seconds. LOL It was a little too intense for me.

"Oh hi, my name is Bob and I'm considering getting a border collie puppy this summer"
"RELEASE THE KRAKEN!! SHOW BREEDERS ARE EVIL!!"
"WORKING BREEDERS!!"
"RUINING THE BREED!"
"umm.. I found a responsible breeder but she works within the AKC.."
"THIS IS SPARTA!!"
"DISHONOR ON YOU! DISHONOR ON YOUR COW!!"
"YOU ARE AN ANTICHRIST!"

It's like jesus everyone calm down!
They hate me there. I lol'd at this post so much though. Especially the Mulan reference <3

Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Well, my dogs don't transform into a different being when I go into the show ring.
That could be kind of cool.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
That could be kind of cool.
It'd probably help us win more...

Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Show Dog

You know, that's really good to know. It seemed to me that breed groups were becoming very harsh and judgemental. I am glad that there are still those out there that enjoy the dog, and discussing the silly things their dogs do, or be able to ask questions

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 10-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Top Dog

BCs really have particularly dramatic politics. We don't have them like that in Staffords. I mean, of course there are politics, there always are. And there are disagreements about what traits the dogs should have. But just not to that degree.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I don't understand how a dog that had no breed standard for so many hundreds of years now all of a sudden needs to conform to looks?

They are working dogs. What they look like shouldn't matter.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 10-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I don't understand how a dog that had no breed standard for so many hundreds of years now all of a sudden needs to conform to looks?

They are working dogs. What they look like shouldn't matter.
I don't disagree with that personally, but its not my right or my job to tell anyone what they can and cannot breed for- I sure would be sad if someone told me what I couldn't breed for